The Student Room Group

Why did you vote for Brexit?

Poll

Why did you vote to leave the EU?

The government aren't revealing exactly what they're going to be aiming for in the upcoming negotiations with the EU, but appear to be leaning towards a 'hard' Brexit (for those who don't know, this generally means leaving the single market and thus having full control over immigration).

As we all know, the three key points in the the referendum campaigns were:

- The economy (staying/leaving the single market)
- Immigration (linked to the single market, also about things like housing, wages, the NHS being overcrowded etc.)
- Sovereignty (to end the supremacy of the EU courts and parliament over the UK)

So, which of these reasons did you vote leave for? Was it a combination of two or three, or maybe something else? I think it will be interesting to gain some perspective on this, so we can determine what the majority of people think the government should be aiming for in these negotiations. For example, some Brexiters may want to regain sovereignty but aren't so bothered about free movement restrictions, but others may be solely concerned with restricting immigration even if that entails economic damage (and, indeed, some may think that the single market is holding the UK back from trading with the world).

Please expand on your thoughts below, and for those of us who voted for remain: what do you think the government should be aiming for (presumably a soft Brexit with single market membership, unless your opinion has changed over the summer)?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add an 'all three' option to the poll. Just put the most important issue to you in the poll, and then elaborate below. Sorry once again!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The government should invest money into building a time machine... failing that, they should remain in the single market.
The same reason as Boris Johnson - to get back our sovereignty.
Reply 3
Original post by TheBorisite
The same reason as Boris Johnson - to get back our sovereignty.

'Muh sovrinty'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mostly because I dislike the political direction of the EU as this strange, strange, body. It was set up as an economic group. Yet failed in this regards as one would expect I suppose given the variance in the economies eventually participating it, the long-term woes of protectionist policies and the poor maintenance with regards to admin that the EU has done over the years (because Greece's financial acumen was checked so closely right?).

Its economic policies, quotas, tariffs and regulations tended to benefit a very select few within Europe at the greater European consumer's downfall. Their policies also have stalled the development of Africa by making it impossible for them to sell their produce to European markets. Their stance on GMO crops is frankly backwards and cowardly, but again they exist to appease a small minority at the loss of both the world economy and the average European man's. Its policies tended towards a rather interventionist, authoritarian, left wing sort of thing too. Which I think frankly inappropriate for a body of its sort.

Most of the things the EU stands for, I do not.

If we want shared intelligence and military operations we can bloody well do that without the European Parliament!
(edited 7 years ago)
cos I felt like it
Original post by *Stefan*

You are from Greece studying in the UK. Please show some respect for the decision of the British people who have voted for Brexit.
because you touch yourself at night
Because I'm sick of bendy bananas and I want to be able to buy my onions in pounds and ounces. Time to TAKE BACK CONTROL from the Brussels elites (and hand it to Rupert Murdoch). SOVEREINGTY™. Because I'm sick of people who actually know what they're talking about making all the decisions.
Because I think the EU is corrupt and undemorcratic and that it serves some members better than others (Read Germany), and reform isn't possible from within the EU...
Also because all of my teachers were telling us to vote remain 17 times per hour and it was getting annoying.
Personally I'd like to see the UK reaching out to other EU countries individually after leaving to creating a new model of europe based on economic rather than political ties (as in leave the EU come join us in another organisation talks).
Original post by AlexS101
Because I think the EU is corrupt and undemorcratic and that it serves some members better than others (Read Germany), and reform isn't possible from within the EU...
Also because all of my teachers were telling us to vote remain 17 times per hour and it was getting annoying.
Personally I'd like to see the UK reaching out to other EU countries individually after leaving to creating a new model of europe based on economic rather than political ties (as in leave the EU come join us in another organisation talks).

Do you have any evidence of the EU being corrupt? That's a serious claim, and I see people saying it all the time but nobody can ever elaborate.

Do you really think voting to spite your teachers is how you should be making life changing decisions?

What can we offer countries to get them to leave the EU? Why would they want to trade with one country instead of 27?
The options should have been:

- Because it makes me feel good and superior to think of my country as a major, powerful nation which is just held back by a dysfunctional and undemocratic system that I just want to give the finger!
- Because it makes me feel good and superior to make sure no more of those dirty refugees and eastern European immigrants come here. We're full!

That's it. Every 'reason' to vote for Brexit can be linked back to the hostile societal climate in Britain and the character deficits it creates. Did you know that hardly any language has an equivalent to 'banter'? That is because the concept only exists in Britain. Why would I want to tease and put down my friends? What is wrong with you people? Don't you see how your society is going down the drain because of that?

It doesn't matter that the events of the last months PROVE how weak Britain's economy is, how certain it is that it will falter once Brexit actually happens. how the world shudders in disgust at the blatant nationalism and xenophobia on display - as long as you lot can put other people down, you're good. Pathetic, and despicable. So glad to have you lot out of the EU, which is a community of nations based on friendship and support, and to see you pay for it.
Original post by JRKinder
The government aren't revealing exactly what they're going to be aiming for in the upcoming negotiations with the EU, but appear to be leaning towards a 'hard' Brexit (for those who don't know, this generally means leaving the single market and thus having full control over immigration).

As we all know, the three key points in the the referendum campaigns were:

- The economy (staying/leaving the single market)
- Immigration (linked to the single market, also about things like housing, wages, the NHS being overcrowded etc.)
- Sovereignty (to end the supremacy of the EU courts and parliament over the UK)

So, which of these reasons did you vote leave for? Was it a combination of two or three, or maybe something else? I think it will be interesting to gain some perspective on this, so we can determine what the majority of people think the government should be aiming for in these negotiations. For example, some Brexiters may want to regain sovereignty but aren't so bothered about free movement restrictions, but others may be solely concerned with restricting immigration even if that entails economic damage (and, indeed, some may think that the single market is holding the UK back from trading with the world).

Please expand on your thoughts below, and for those of us who voted for remain: what do you think the government should be aiming for (presumably a soft Brexit with single market membership, unless your opinion has changed over the summer)?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add an 'all three' option to the poll. Just put the most important issue to you in the poll, and then elaborate below. Sorry once again!

Mostly 2&3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
The options should have been:

- Because it makes me feel good and superior to think of my country as a major, powerful nation which is just held back by a dysfunctional and undemocratic system that I just want to give the finger!
- Because it makes me feel good and superior to make sure no more of those dirty refugees and eastern European immigrants come here. We're full!

That's it. Every 'reason' to vote for Brexit can be linked back to the hostile societal climate in Britain and the character deficits it creates. Did you know that hardly any language has an equivalent to 'banter'? That is because the concept only exists in Britain. Why would I want to tease and put down my friends? What is wrong with you people? Don't you see how your society is going down the drain because of that?

It doesn't matter that the events of the last months PROVE how weak Britain's economy is, how certain it is that it will falter once Brexit actually happens. how the world shudders in disgust at the blatant nationalism and xenophobia on display - as long as you lot can put other people down, you're good. Pathetic, and despicable. So glad to have you lot out of the EU, which is a community of nations based on friendship and support, and to see you pay for it.

Love you too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that the vote to leave the EU was because the people wanted more globalisation and more immigration,

Just like how all the people who voted Tory in 2015 really wanted a more left wing Labour Party
They voted for sovereignty for sure. They would not accept grants just to bend over backwards and follow laws they don't agree with, and they want to raise a generation of hard working people who can feel proud of the living THEY earn - too many are living on handouts not contributing to society, and this would not happen if any money wasn't there to begin with
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Did you know that hardly any language has an equivalent to 'banter'? That is because the concept only exists in Britain. Why would I want to tease and put down my friends? What is wrong with you people? Don't you see how your society is going down the drain because of that?

Did you know that hardly any language has an equivalent to 'Schadenfreude' That is because the concept only exists in Germany. Why would I want to take pleasure in the suffering of others? What is wrong with you people? Don't you see how your society is going down the drain because of that?
Original post by JohnnytheFox
Did you know that hardly any language has an equivalent to 'Schadenfreude' That is because the concept only exists in Germany. Why would I want to take pleasure in the suffering of others? What is wrong with you people? Don't you see how your society is going down the drain because of that?

You must be pretty humourless then.
Original post by JohnnytheFox

Nice try, yet unfortunately an epic fail. English uses the German word, and most languages actually do have translations. Just because YOU are using the German word (which shows you CLEARLY have plenty of use for it) doesn't mean other languages don't have an equivalent - but I'll let you off the hook on this one, it surely transcends the intellectual horizon of a Leave voter.

Other than that, your argument is heavily flawed as our society is actually not going down the drain. Levels of depression, alcoholism, anti-social behavior, teenage pregnancies - all much lower than in Britain, which tops the list for most.

Now go and assault some minorities together with your friends! (https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/08/homophobic-attacks-double-after-brexit-vote)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
So more foreigners can buy up Britain cheap and make us pay more for everything and its worked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending