The Student Room Group

Plagiarism detector

I used a free plagiarism detector to check my personal statement, will that website save my personal statement and then my personal statement be plagiarized when ucas do a check???
Reply 1
Excellent question. Doubt it.

Quoting @She-Ra in, who might know.
I doubt it. That would be a huge flaw in the system! But you could always check by submitting yours twice :wink:

If anything does get added to the plagiarism detector, it probably happens when an academic submits your statement, not when you do.
Original post by 01tommy
I used a free plagiarism detector to check my personal statement, will that website save my personal statement and then my personal statement be plagiarized when ucas do a check???

I doubt it too but it's worth double checking to give you peace of mind. What website was it?

If you're literally just posting it in a checker I doubt Google would have time to cache it.

Let me know ASAP and I can find out for you :smile:
FWIW - online plagiarism checkers are more likely to show negatives for actual plagiarism that the UCAS system will pick up.

For a start the UCAS system is checking against ALL submitted PSs and not just those available online, and more importantly the UCAS system looks for similarity of sentences (not just matching exact phrases).

Rewording an online PS (or even just a paragraph) will get past most online checkers - it would be picked up by the UCAS system.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
FWIW - online plagiarism checkers are more likely to show negatives for actual plagiarism that the UCAS system will pick up.

For a start the UCAS system is checking against ALL submitted PSs and not just those available online, and more importantly the UCAS system looks for similarity of sentences (not just matching exact phrases).

Rewording an online PS (or even just a paragraph) will get past most online checkers - it would be picked up by the UCAS system.

Wait so if I wrote something like I entered the royal economics essay competition, and someone else wrote the same thing that would be counted as plagiarism?
Reply 6
Original post by She-Ra
I doubt it too but it's worth double checking to give you peace of mind. What website was it?

If you're literally just posting it in a checker I doubt Google would have time to cache it.

Let me know ASAP and I can find out for you :smile:

I used Small seo tools and paper rater
Original post by 01tommy
Wait so if I wrote something like I entered the royal economics essay competition, and someone else wrote the same thing that would be counted as plagiarism?

It would be flagged - and if there are a specific number of flags in the PS it would be looked at by a person who would compare your PS to the various documents it matched against - and if they then decided that your PS had levels of similarity that weren't down to coincidence then you and your universities would be sent the plagiarism report.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
It would be flagged - and if there are a specific number of flags in the PS it would be looked at by a person who would compare your PS to the various documents it matched against - and if they then decided that your PS had levels of similarity that weren't down to coincidence then you and your universities would be sent the plagiarism report.

Ok I'm going to be really paranoid now and will have to at some point go back to all the examples that I looked at and check for similarities

Quick Reply

Latest