The Student Room Group

University application: mentioning karate/japanese terms

I'm working on my university application and I'm on the part where I talk about my hobbies, which is martial arts. Are saying words like Senpai and Kumite alright? I don't want the admissions tutors to be like : "Wtf is this guy on about"
Original post by Jivanshh
I'm working on my university application and I'm on the part where I talk about my hobbies, which is martial arts. Are saying words like Senpai and Kumite alright? I don't want the admissions tutors to be like : "Wtf is this guy on about"

Not sure Admission's Tutors might use the phrase 'wtf' :smile:, but yes - I think a little amplification of the terms might be in order, i.e. at least give them a clue what it means!
Might be acceptable for a Japanese language course... otherwise they'll just be confused, they won't bother looking up foreign words or unfamiliar jargon..

It'll be OK if you explain each foreign word the first time you use it... but that will start to eat away your character limit as the foreign word count grows.
Reply 3
can't I just put the meaning in english in brackets right next to it? like "....Senpai (Upperclassmen)" and "....Kumite (sparring)"
can't I just put the meaning in english in brackets right next to it? like "....Senpai (Upperclassmen)" and "....Kumite (sparring)"

I would caution against that and would recommend just using the English words. It's highly unlikely you would need that level of detail in your PS anyway, and could likely use the characters for something more relevant to your degree. Consider whether this is the most useful and relevant thing to your course of study before using a substantial amount of characters.*

That's what I meant, sorry... though actually upperclassmen might still require further explanation

but IMO they'll probably like that you're doing regular sport and be more interested in hearing how this has developed you as a person (e.g. self-discipline, concentration, fitness, maturity, calmness whatever) than what you do during a training session.
Reply 6
Original post by Charlotte49
I would caution against that and would recommend just using the English words. It's highly unlikely you would need that level of detail in your PS anyway, and could likely use the characters for something more relevant to your degree. Consider whether this is the most useful and relevant thing to your course of study before using a substantial amount of characters.*

I see, since I'm going for engineering, it isn't really relevant, I just thought that maybe showing a bit of jargon will show I'm not just bsing my application
I see, since I'm going for engineering, it isn't really relevant, I just thought that maybe showing a bit of jargon will show I'm not just bsing my application

Realistically you don't need to mention karate at all. If you really want to put it in, keep it very minimal as it's not something that is particularly going to benefit your application.*

It's fine to have a statement that only talks about the course and how you are suited to it, and what particularly interests you about engineering.*
Reply 8

Your martial arts skills are not relevant for Engineering. It's fine to mention it but not in huge detail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending