The Student Room Group

Part time student?

Hi I am just wondering how student finance works for part time mature students? I'm 25 years old and wanting to return to studying, however my only option is part time study. Do I have to fund the course myself? I've never done a degree before.
Also, in regards to costs, is there any sort of loans to aid with travel? Because I can only do part time there are limited universities I can apply to therefore will need to travel. I live with my partner and we earn about £35k annually but we have a house and my income would drop substantially attending university.
Original post by Tw1x
Hi I am just wondering how student finance works for part time mature students? I'm 25 years old and wanting to return to studying, however my only option is part time study. Do I have to fund the course myself? I've never done a degree before.
Also, in regards to costs, is there any sort of loans to aid with travel? Because I can only do part time there are limited universities I can apply to therefore will need to travel. I live with my partner and we earn about £35k annually but we have a house and my income would drop substantially attending university.

You can get a tuition fee loan for part-time degrees, yes. Maintenance loans are not currently available for part-time students, so unless your chosen university offers any grants/bursaries for part-time students (ask them), then you're going to have to pay any travel costs yourself.

What do you want to study by the way?
You'd only get some travel if you're disabled and apply for DSA.
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
You can get a tuition fee loan for part-time degrees, yes. Maintenance loans are not currently available for part-time students, so unless your chosen university offers any grants/bursaries for part-time students (ask them), then you're going to have to pay any travel costs yourself.

What do you want to study by the way?

Either animal science/biology or zoology. There's only really leeds and derby in my area offering zoology part time, and only chester or nottingham offering an animal based degree on part time. Feel a little stuck because I haven't got the option to study full time, but looking at travel costs I'm not sure I can afford either route.
Hi

For the part-time courses it is only a tuition fee loan that we can offer you to pay the fees of the course. You could speak with the university/college to see if there is any other funding available. You can also apply for disabled students allowance if this was applicable.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending