The Student Room Group

Where was your first part-time job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fxlloutboyy
Yeah, I really hate what I'm doing at the moment including the awful pay and bring treated awfully too. Much rather work in a supermarket or clothes shop for a change

Okay, definitely avoid M&S then lol.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
That's awful :frown:, perhaps finding something else may be best. I definitely wouldn't recommend staying.

Yeah I've got an interview with Apple tomorrow and I really hope I do get it.
Original post by Malevolent
Yeah I've got an interview with Apple tomorrow and I really hope I do get it.

That's good, I hope it goes well for you, and you get it :smile:
That's good, I hope it goes well for you, and you get it :smile:

Thank you! Its just stage one but I'm going to do my best.
Thank you! Its just stage one but I'm going to do my best.

It's okay, and good :smile:
It's okay, and good :smile:

Excited because I've heard really good things about the company and working for them. :smile:
Excited because I've heard really good things about the company and working for them. :smile:

Yeah, it looks really fun to work there :smile:
Yeah, it looks really fun to work there :smile:

Fun and hopefully can improve things socially for me :biggrin:
Fun and hopefully can improve things socially for me :biggrin:

That's good :biggrin:
Tesco
River Island and I HATED it. Awful money and 5 hour shifts standing outside the fitting rooms doing nothing. The stockroom was a mess so you could never find anything.Now I'm in ASDA on £7.44 an hour. Time and half on bank hols and DOUBLE at Christmas/New Years etc. Cant complain :colondollar:
Original post by cassiejoevans
River Island and I HATED it. Awful money and 5 hour shifts standing outside the fitting rooms doing nothing. The stockroom was a mess so you could never find anything.Now I'm in ASDA on £7.44 an hour. Time and half on bank hols and DOUBLE at Christmas/New Years etc. Cant complain :colondollar:

Aww, :frown:, I've always heard good stories about RI, but that sucks.

It's good that you're at Asda now, and it's better. :smile:
Aww, :frown:, I've always heard good stories about RI, but that sucks.

It's good that you're at Asda now, and it's better. :smile:

Before I went for my interview I even googled it and so many people all over the UK said it was awful. A good or bad job can really make or break you
Before I went for my interview I even googled it and so many people all over the UK said it was awful. A good or bad job can really make or break you

True :frown:. I've been to a group interview there before, and it was pretty awful.
True :frown:. I've been to a group interview there before, and it was pretty awful.
It's so pretentious! We were allowed to choose 1 top and 1 pair of bottoms for our uniform. They made a big deal about us being allowed to express our own sense of style, yet I chose a pair of jeans and a nice floral top and the manager said it wasn't 'trendy' enough and told me to pick a pair of leather leggings, a different top and high heels (for a 7 hour shift standing up all day!!!). I felt like George Michael in those bloody leggings :unimpressed::unimpressed::laugh:
Original post by Rohan187
Exam Invigilator for IELTS. Great pay, a lot of money comes from just working 3 Saturdays a month when it's exam season but it's slowed down. Still work there. But now I'm a temp at GAME.

I had an interview for a temp job for GAME and I'm just waiting to hear back. What's it like working there? What's the pay and do you get any discounts on games?
It's so pretentious! We were allowed to choose 1 top and 1 pair of bottoms for our uniform. They made a big deal about us being allowed to express our own sense of style, yet I chose a pair of jeans and a nice floral top and the manager said it wasn't 'trendy' enough and told me to pick a pair of leather leggings, a different top and high heels (for a 7 hour shift standing up all day!!!). I felt like George Michael in those bloody leggings :unimpressed::unimpressed::laugh:

That sucks :angry:, are they even allowed to do that?
My first job was at Sports Direct. Worked there for 9 months before deciding to leave.
That sucks :angry:, are they even allowed to do that?
I haven't got a clue, but it was so annoying as I worked a Saturday and Sunday and only had 1 bloody George Michael-esque outfit to wear! Ended up wearing other clothes and getting a *******ing - seemed that they rathered me wear dirty clothes than clothes from River Island that 'weren't in the current line'.

Original post by qasim_96
My first job was at Sports Direct. Worked there for 9 months before deciding to leave.
Wasn't the pay there something ridiculously low? :angry:
I haven't got a clue, but it was so annoying as I worked a Saturday and Sunday and only had 1 bloody George Michael-esque outfit to wear! Ended up wearing other clothes and getting a *******ing - seemed that they rathered me wear dirty clothes than clothes from River Island that 'weren't in the current line'.

Wasn't the pay there something ridiculously low? :angry:

Minimum wage actually. You did get commission but the only people who would get any real benefit from that are the people who worked on the shoes section (such as me).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending