The Student Room Group

Meeting THAT Oxbridge deadline

As I am sat on my bed I am panicking... :s-smilie:
Those of you applying to Oxbridge or wanting to study Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or Dentistry will be well aware that the deadline for UCAS submission is 6:00 tomorrow.

My issue is a simple yet fatal one: I just don't think that I will meet that deadline (Although I'd be happy to be proved incorrect).
No, I'm not still writing draft 52 of my personal statement. My form was in fact completed a week ago and on Monday, I registered and paid for my Cambridge admissions test.

My dilemma is one that is largely beyond my control: References.
The careers advisor at my former-college works part time. She hasn't been in for a week and a half, and she isn't due back until next Wednesday. Yet she seems to be the ONLY person who has the authority to attach my (already written) references to my UCAS form. I've contacted tutors, I've spoken to reception , I've even invaded the principle's office. Nobody seems to be able to do anything other than email the careers advisor yet again (which I've also done myself several times). Despite this, she hasn't replied.
To make matters EVEN WORSE it appears that college is entirely empty today (There was a registration day yesterday) so there's effectively no-one that I can physically talk to.

I am aware of how important my academic references are. I am also all too aware of how close the deadline is....

My question is this: What do I do next? Has anyone been in this situation before?
Is it worth me phoning the Cambridge College that I am intending to apply to and letting them know what's going on? (I have held off doing this as, to be honest, I'm completely mortified by the whole thing. It's hardly the best first impression to tell them that you're unlikely to meet their application deadline!)
Is their any wriggle room at all or is this the end of the line for my application?

Apologies for the rather long rambling explanation but I am desperate for advice. Despite personal circumstances forcing me to take over a month off, I have worked extremely hard to get to this point and would be beyond devastated it was all for nothing!

Thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.
Original post by X.Stephy.X
Those of you applying to Oxbridge or wanting to study Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or Dentistry will be well aware that the deadline for UCAS submission is 6:00 tomorrow.

My issue is a simple yet fatal one: I just don't think that I will meet that deadline (Although I'd be happy to be proved incorrect).
No, I'm not still writing draft 52 of my personal statement. My form was in fact completed a week ago and on Monday, I registered and paid for my Cambridge admissions test.

The careers advisor at my former-college works part time. She hasn't been in for a week and a half, and she isn't due back until next Wednesday. Yet she seems to be the ONLY person who has the authority to attach my (already written) references to my UCAS form. I've contacted tutors, I've spoken to reception , I've even invaded the principle's office. Nobody seems to be able to do anything other than email the careers advisor yet again (which I've also done myself several times). Despite this, she hasn't replied.
To make matters EVEN WORSE it appears that college is entirely empty today (There was a registration day yesterday) so there's effectively no-one that I can physically talk to.

I am aware of how important my academic references are. I am also all too aware of how close the deadline is....

My question is this: What do I do next? Has anyone been in this situation before?
Is it worth me phoning the Cambridge College that I am intending to apply to and letting them know what's going on? (I have held off doing this as, to be honest, I'm completely mortified by the whole thing. It's hardly the best first impression to tell them that you're unlikely to meet their application deadline!)
Is their any wriggle room at all or is this the end of the line for my application?

Apologies for the rather long rambling explanation but I am desperate for advice. Despite personal circumstances forcing me to take over a month off, I have worked extremely hard to get to this point and would be beyond devastated it was all for nothing!

Given the situation, I think your only hope is to...

1) Contact the relevant college by phone immediately. Explain the situation regarding your reference and throw your self on their mercy. Don't expect more than the briefest period of grace, however.

2) Get your parents to contact the school directly and say that they will take official action if the application is not processed in time. This will only work if you have hit the school's internal deadlines.
Reply 2

@PQ - am I correct that you can apply without a reference in extremis?
I was in the situation where my referee was ill, then she said she'd send it yesterday and she didn't. But it was finally sent today. Stressful situation, I know how it feels to have things out of your control a bit.
Original post by jneill
@PQ - am I correct that you can apply without a reference in extremis?

It's possible to tick this box:
reference.PNG

WITH the full agreement of all parties - that means other universities as well as Cambridge agreeing for the reference to be sent directly AFTER application.

If the OP has a copy of the reference then I would suggest applying independently (should be able to switch to this under "Options" - if not then set up a new UCAS Apply login) and using an email address OP has access to for the reference details, adding the reference person details correctly and then logging in to upload the reference on behalf of their referee.

Alternatively if the reference is the same as one used previously to apply then contacting UCAS to get access to the previous reference under Data Protection rules for £10 and doing the same thing.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Given the situation, I think your only hope is to...

1) Contact the relevant college by phone immediately. Explain the situation regarding your reference and throw your self on their mercy. Don't expect more than the briefest period of grace, however.

2) Get your parents to contact the school directly and say that they will take official action if the application is not processed in time. This will only work if you have hit the school's internal deadlines.

Thank you so much for responding- I was terrified that the thread was just going to die out!

It looks like I probably will end up phoning them- It's worth a try anyway....

RE. My colleges internal deadlines: I don't have a clue what they were (or if there even were any) as I'm not at that college any more (I finished my A2 exams earlier in the year. One of my tutors also very unhelpfully informed me that I'm their only Oxbridge applicant this year (Which I won't be unless they help me with my references). I think my parents are pretty disgusted by the lack of support though....
Reply 6
Thank you so much for responding- I was terrified that the thread was just going to die out!

RE. My colleges internal deadlines: I don't have a clue what they were (or if there even were any) as I'm not at that college any more (I finished my A2 exams earlier in the year. One of my tutors also very unhelpfully informed me that I'm their only Oxbridge applicant this year (Which I won't be unless they help me with my references). I think my parents are pretty disgusted by the lack of support though....

And do what @PQ has recommended. She's highly experienced at UCAS applications.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by pamplemousse.
I was in the situation where my referee was ill, then she said she'd send it yesterday and she didn't. But it was finally sent today. Stressful situation, I know how it feels to have things out of your control a bit.

I'm glad you managed to get your references sorted out! I'm still holding out a bit of hope for mine but to be honest that hope is vanishing by the hour.

I don't want to annoy/hassle anybody but I'm cutting it very fine and I hate the fact that I can't do anything about it.

No, you will phone them. If you don't then you have failed before you started. They are only people, not gods. Explain to the Cambridge college that you are a post A-level applicant and that you are your school's only Oxbridge applicant - that will help them realise why this situation might have arisen.
I'm glad you managed to get your references sorted out! I'm still holding out a bit of hope for mine but to be honest that hope is vanishing by the hour.

I don't want to annoy/hassle anybody but I'm cutting it very fine and I hate the fact that I can't do anything about it.

I was the same... I didn't want to be perceived as nagging or being too pushy, but even if you were perceived like that by them, someone thinking that is so worth actually getting it sorted out rather than leaving it be and losing out on putting a uni choice down. (Be respectful and not counterproductive of course)
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
It's possible to tick this box:
reference.PNG

WITH the full agreement of all parties - that means other universities as well as Cambridge agreeing for the reference to be sent directly AFTER application.

If the OP has a copy of the reference then I would suggest applying independently (should be able to switch to this under "Options" - if not then set up a new UCAS Apply login) and using an email address OP has access to for the reference details, adding the reference person details correctly and then logging in to upload the reference on behalf of their referee.

Alternatively if the reference is the same as one used previously to apply then contacting UCAS to get access to the previous reference under Data Protection rules for £10 and doing the same thing.

Interesting- I'll definitely give this a go! May I ask what OP translates into? (Apologies if that's a moronic question- I'm very new to this forum!).

You're right in the second part of the post to presume that I'm a reapplicant (It's my second and final chance). I don't even need to contact UCAS though- my tutor sent me my references to look at, that's the really frustrating thing as I know they're ready!
Reply 11
Interesting- I'll definitely give this a go! May I ask what OP translates into? (Apologies if that's a moronic question- I'm very new to this forum!).

You're right in the second part of the post to presume that I'm a reapplicant (It's my second and final chance). I don't even need to contact UCAS though- my tutor sent me my references to look at, that's the really frustrating thing as I know they're ready!

OP = Original Poster or Original Post.

i.e. you :smile:

Oh, and call your Cambridge college today, now. They may not be answering the phone tomorrow (it's a Saturday...).

Original Poster - ie YOU :smile:

If you have a copy of your reference then it's possible for you to add them yourself. It isn't ideal but it's what a lot of international applicants have to do if their referee isn't good at English or can't access the UCAS system.

If you're currently set to have references added through your school look on the "Options" section on Apply to see if you can swap to an independent/individual application. Then add in the details of your referee (Name, address, phone number etc) and an email address you can access. When the email comes through add the reference your tutor sent to you.

Once your application is processed by UCAS contact all of your universities and explain that there were problems with your school providing the reference via Apply and that you added it yourself and give an email address for them to contact your referee if they'd like to verify anything. That way you've been 100% honest about the situation and it can't catch you out later on.
You have a beautiful writing style, OP.
Reply 14
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You have a beautiful writing style, OP.

Why thank you very much :smile:

That comment has absolutely made my day. It makes me incredibly happy to hear, both because I'm applying to read English and because I adore creative writing and tend to do quite a lot of it in my (admittedly very limited) spare time- it's my method of channelling my emotions into something relatively productive.
Reply 15
Why thank you very much :smile:

That comment has absolutely made my day. It makes me incredibly happy to hear, both because I'm applying to read English and because I adore creative writing and tend to do quite a lot of it in my (admittedly very limited) spare time- it's my method of channelling my emotions into something relatively productive.

And...

did you meet the deadline?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending