The Student Room Group

HMRC AO Interview help ASAP!

Hi I applied for an AO position with HMRC 2 months ago and have completed the online tests. I have now been invited to a situational interview which will focus on the following competencies:
Delivering at Pace
Managing a Quality Service
Leading and Communicating
I'm quite confused and was hoping someone could help me in terms of what sort of questions you think they may ask. I have just recently completed my A-levels so don't have much experience to apply to these competencies and will appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Scroll to see replies

It'll be two situational questions and 'leading and communicating' will be scored throughout.*

Situational being what you would do in a certain situation such as having to make unpopular decisions etc.

It's not an especially complicated interview and it will probably last 15 minutes max. *
Thank you soo much! Does that mean they won't ask me regarding my own personal experiences in which I have demonstrated a certain competency?
Original post by Audiology999
Thank you soo much! Does that mean they won't ask me regarding my own personal experiences in which I have demonstrated a certain competency?

If you have a personal example that relates to the question then by all means use it.
Reply 4
Hi I applied for an AO position with HMRC 2 months ago and have completed the online tests. I have now been invited to a situational interview which will focus on the following competencies:
Delivering at Pace
Managing a Quality Service
Leading and Communicating
I'm quite confused and was hoping someone could help me in terms of what sort of questions you think they may ask. I have just recently completed my A-levels so don't have much experience to apply to these competencies and will appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Hi, have you applied for the Administration Officer & Apprentice role with HMRC?
Reply 5
Original post by FM17
Hi, have you applied for the Administration Officer & Apprentice role with HMRC?

Silly question - didnt realise you said its with HMRC. Which city have you applied for? I have an interview next month with HMRC in Bradford
Reply 6
Hi, need urgent HELP !!!

I am going to attend interview for AO/apprentice HMRC Ipswich in two days.
So far I know it should be a scenario based interview. But I have few questions that I need help with:

In this interview - Do I need to prepare my own situational Example for competency? if yes , how many competency example I need to be prepare with?

Or

Are they going to provide a scenario ( events with multiple problems/issues) which I need to demonstrate how I would deal with it by reflecting competency?

please HELP me !!!!
Original post by FM17

Yeah
Original post by FM17
Silly question - didnt realise you said its with HMRC. Which city have you applied for? I have an interview next month with HMRC in Bradford

Same here!! Mine's in Bradford but I'm really struggling to prep for the interview. Any advice?
Original post by Jadu
Hi, need urgent HELP !!!

I am going to attend interview for AO/apprentice HMRC Ipswich in two days.
So far I know it should be a scenario based interview. But I have few questions that I need help with:

In this interview - Do I need to prepare my own situational Example for competency? if yes , how many competency example I need to be prepare with?

Or

Are they going to provide a scenario ( events with multiple problems/issues) which I need to demonstrate how I would deal with it by reflecting competency?

please HELP me !!!!

I'm not sure tbh. However, I think they will ask you for your own personal examples in which you've applied the competency. All the best!! Let me know how it goes.
Reply 10
Hello peps

I had my HMRC AO interview today. It was Ok
I been asked competency examples from my experience according to civil service competency framework. I was told it should be Scenario based interview / Situational Based interview. Apparently I found it a purely Competency based interview looking for positive indicators from CSCF sifts.
Original post by Jadu
Hello peps

I been asked competency examples from my experience according to civil service competency framework. I was told it should be Scenario based interview / Situational Based interview. Apparently I found it a purely Competency based interview looking for positive indicators from CSCF sifts.

Thanks for updating us. Hope you get the job. Did you get asked any traditional interview questions such as why do you want to work here, tell me about yourself etc.?
Reply 12
Same here!! Mine's in Bradford but I'm really struggling to prep for the interview. Any advice?

My interview is next week, i have spoken to a few people who work there and they have all said it will be questions based on our competencies.. i could do with all the help i can get!
Reply 13
Original post by Jadu
Hello peps

Thanks for that!
Reply 14
Also interested in the questions they will ask- I know they will be scenario based, any idea on the specific types of scenarios?
Original post by FM17
Thanks for that!

If you look on line the civil service competencies are available to read to give you an idea of what they expect from you.

Might help to give them a quick look.
Reply 16
hi, wondering if anyone heard anything after interview? any outcome yet?
Reply 17
Hi all. Had an email towards end of last week saying sorry for the delay but they will be releasing results week commencing 28th November. It's Friday already and still haven't heard anything. Has anyone else?

Reply 18
I've had a reply back from them, I didn't get offered a role. Was put on reserve instead :-/
Good luck to you guys!
Same...in Bradford early next month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending