The Student Room Group

What other A Level to take with Economics and Maths

I am thinking about my A Level choices and was wondering which other A Level to take with Economics and Maths.

I was thinking maybe:
Biology or Geography or Computer Science.

Which one do you think is the best and are there any others?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student2612
I am thinking about my A Level choices and was wondering which other A Level to take with Economics and Maths.

I was thinking maybe:

Which ever one you prefer out of the 3.
i mean, economics is a very maths-ey subject (obviously)
If you really enjoy maths (like me :P) i recommend Further Maths. Doing the S2-4 books probably helps with economics as i think in that you deal with stats (i dont take economics as you can probs tell)
Out of your list of three computor science would be the one i think would be better as it probs applies to economics more than biology or geography.
However please dont let my opinion persuade you towards anything, i havent taken economics and im good at all aspects of maths BUT stats, sorry
Computer science fits in better with your current options
Reply 4
There is not much maths in Economics A-Level, if there is then its GCSE maths.
(For OCR anyway)
Reply 5
Original post by Toasticide
If you really enjoy maths (like me :P) i recommend Further Maths. Doing the S2-4 books probably helps with economics as i think in that you deal with stats (i dont take economics as you can probs tell)
Out of your list of three computor science would be the one i think would be better as it probs applies to economics more than biology or geography.
However please dont let my opinion persuade you towards anything, i havent taken economics and im good at all aspects of maths BUT stats, sorry

Economics isn't a mathsy subject at all at A Level. Geography applies to economics a lot more than computer science- there is development economics, globalisation,which connects with geography but it has nothing to do with computer science.

OP, I would recommend doing further maths if you have any interest in doing maths at university or something maths related as it develops your maths skills. If you want to do economics, you'll be fine with maths, economics and any other subject.
Reply 6
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Computer science fits in better with your current options

Why?

I was thinking maybe:

Depends what you want to study at uni or do as a career in the future. Unless your course or career requires a specific subject, you can pick pretty much any subject you want. Obviously pick one that you like because your more likely to do better in a subject that you actually care about than one you picked because you thought it would be easy even though you hate it.

I was thinking maybe:

What do u want to at uni?
Reply 9
Original post by sammychu00
Depends what you want to study at uni or do as a career in the future. Unless your course or career requires a specific subject, you can pick pretty much any subject you want. Obviously pick one that you like because your more likely to do better in a subject that you actually care about than one you picked because you thought it would be easy even though you hate it.

I'm thinking to do Economics where I need maths and it's suggested to have economics.
Original post by Emma:-)
What do u want to at uni?

Economics, though I'm not sure whether to do a BA or BSc
Original post by Trapz99
Economics isn't a mathsy subject at all at A Level. Geography applies to economics a lot more than computer science- there is development economics, globalisation,which connects with geography but it has nothing to do with computer science.

OP, I would recommend doing further maths if you have any interest in doing maths at university or something maths related as it develops your maths skills. If you want to do economics, you'll be fine with maths, economics and any other subject.

Thank you for your help! I do like how geography and economics link. Obviously, if I have economics it would help me with the human geography. However, as I haven't done the geography GCSE do you think I would struggle with the physical side of it?
Economics, though I'm not sure whether to do a BA or BSc

You have the main 2- economics and maths.
Id do geography or something.
Politics, Physics, Further Maths, Geography and History are the best A-levels to go with your current choices
Original post by jamestg
Politics, Physics, Further Maths, Geography and History are the best A-levels to go with your current choices

Thank you!

Don't know about a levels but economics wasn't very maths-y at GCSE (should've been a good thing but I sill hated every second of it!)
so a couple of people have replied saying economics isnt very mathsey.
Im sure you're right, only reason i thought it was maths-ey is because when i think of economics i think of economy then numbers. Again, i've never studied it and dont know anyone who has.
Quick question for you lot actually, i've heard economics is the easiest A level, is this true in your opinion? Again, i heard this from a friend who hasnt studied it so he's not the most reliable source
Im sure you're right, only reason i thought it was maths-ey is because when i think of economics i think of economy then numbers. Again, i've never studied it and dont know anyone who has.
Quick question for you lot actually, i've heard economics is the easiest A level, is this true in your opinion? Again, i heard this from a friend who hasnt studied it so he's not the most reliable source

Ha no, Business Studies is much easier for a start...
However the old syllabus AQA As was probably the easiest AS level to pass, as you could basically pass by answering multiple choice questions, a definition and reading something of a basic graph.

Don't know about a level but I hated it at GCSE cos apparently I was never able to explain myself properly especially for 6markers
I chose it at GCSE thinking it was mathsy even though I absolutely hated maths but later found it was more essay based which should have been a good thing as I like English but was the complete opposite
Maybe because to my surprise I found that it was actually a short course GCSE I.e equivalent to half a GCSE ( kinda sad for the really clever ppl doing it!) but there wasn't a lot of content
Anyway I'm glad 2 years of economics is finally and currently I don't think I've repeated such a mistake for sixth form
I did learn from the subject though: don't ever think money grows on trees plus learn about the different ways to save money so as to get the most out of your savings lol
Good luck with it if you choose it though!

definitely not the easiest
(ocr)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest