The Student Room Group

Playing musical instrument in accommodation

Which Cambridge colleges allow their members to play musical instruments in their accommodation?
- Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by User13415
Which Cambridge colleges allow their members to play musical instruments in their accommodation?
- Thank you

Depends on the instrument (and time). Keyboard with headphones at 3pm is quite different to trumpet with no mute at 3am. I've heard people playing piano (accompanist scholar) and ukulele, but those are fairly quiet. I wouldn't imagine the colleges vary that much (and in any case, you can just use practice rooms).
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
Depends on the instrument (and time). Keyboard with headphones at 3pm is quite different to trumpet with no mute at 3am. I've heard people playing piano (accompanist scholar) and ukulele, but those are fairly quiet. I wouldn't imagine the colleges vary that much (and in any case, you can just use practice rooms).

Thanks!
I was specifically thinking of acoustic guitar, which is I suppose somewhere in between your two examples. Would one generally be able to do this in, say, the early afternoon?
Do the practice rooms tend to be overbooked (I suppose this could vary quite a bit)?
Original post by sweeneyrod

What college are you at? How sound proof would you say rooms generally are? If I got in, it would be a bummer if I couldn't bring some of my LP's to chill to while working! :wink:
Original post by Hjortlund
What college are you at? How sound proof would you say rooms generally are? If I got in, it would be a bummer if I couldn't bring some of my LP's to chill to while working! :wink:

That really varies by college, and by your room in the college (e.g. if you're in modern vs older accommodation).
Original post by User13415
Thanks!
I was specifically thinking of acoustic guitar, which is I suppose somewhere in between your two examples. Would one generally be able to do this in, say, the early afternoon?
Do the practice rooms tend to be overbooked (I suppose this could vary quite a bit)?

I think you would definitely be OK with acoustic guitar in the afternoon. At my college, practice rooms are always available -- I've always been able to get one when I want, and most of the time the nearby ones are also empty. But like you say, that could vary a lot between colleges.
Original post by Hjortlund

Homerton. I don't think the rooms are particularly sound proof, but you can definitely play music (as long as it's not ridiculously loud or late).
At my college (Jesus) quiet hours where you weren't meant to play instruments or listen to music without headphones were, if I remember correctly, between 23:00 and 09:00. The rest of the time as long as it wasn't deafeningly loud and disturbing working/sleeping flatmates or Fellows it was generally fine, and the rooms were pretty soundproof, especially in the older buildings. Music rooms were incredibly easy to book out but, perversely, leaked sound like crazy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
At Clare they ask (or at least used to) in the accommodation questionnaire whether you want to play an instrument, and stick all the musical people on a couple of staircases together. I was in there but ended up barely playing my cello. There was a lot of music going on, mostly at civilised times, though my next door neighbour used to get up at 4am to finish essays and would sing to himself. He had a beautiful voice, but as I tended to work late on my essays, it wasn't always appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending