The Student Room Group

How do i take further maths AS if my school doesn't offer it?

I know I'm asking a bit late since I'm well into a month of year 12, but I was wondering if it was possible to do it. Or could I take it next year if it's available without doing it AS?
Original post by jackman420
I know I'm asking a bit late since I'm well into a month of year 12, but I was wondering if it was possible to do it. Or could I take it next year if it's available without doing it AS?

Self-teach it and take the exams at your school or a different exam centre.
Original post by RDKGames

Can't you use that Further Maths Network? I'm not sure what the precise name is.
Original post by SM6
Can't you use that Further Maths Network? I'm not sure what the precise name is.

Yes, the Further Mathematics Support Programme. That can help OP find centres for examinations and provide resources, I think.
Yes, the Further Mathematics Support Programme. That can help OP find centres for examinations and provide resources, I think.

Ohh ok. Did you self teach yourself Maths and Further Maths? Because your really good!
Original post by SM6
Ohh ok. Did you self teach yourself Maths and Further Maths? Because your really good!

I did not, my school offered them both so I just took them. And thank you. :smile:
I did not, my school offered them both so I just took them. And thank you. :smile:

:smile: How's degree level Mathematics? Do you find it better than A-Levels?
Original post by SM6
:smile: How's degree level Mathematics? Do you find it better than A-Levels?

Hard to say since it has been only 2 weeks but some aspects do prove to be quite challenging which is good :smile:

I'd say that FM A-Level definitely benefits you for this degree so far, though, so I'm not finding my degree terribly difficult at this point. Yeah I do find it better than A-Levels aha.
Hard to say since it has been only 2 weeks but some aspects do prove to be quite challenging which is good :smile:

I'd say that FM A-Level definitely benefits you for this degree so far, though, so I'm not finding my degree terribly difficult at this point. Yeah I do find it better than A-Levels aha.

Ah, that's good! I'm considering to do FM next year as well. You must be happy since Loughborough has overtaken 80% of RG universities.
Reply 9
My son is in year 13 and is doing Further Maths AS/A2 all this year so if you're good enough it can be done. Speak to your Maths teacher.
Reply 10
has he completed his A level mathematics and which examination board are you talking about.
Actually I am in As level and thinking about doing FM next year.
by the way my exam board is CIE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
CIE requires one to have the full knowledge of A level Mathematics syllabus prior to taking FM
there's no As FM in CIE

I am giving As maths this year and will be giving A2 next year.
Isn't it possible to give further maths along with A2 maths?
one possible way was to do entire maths in one year but I didn't want to do that.
my subjects are physics, chemistry and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SM6
Ah, that's good! I'm considering to do FM next year as well. You must be happy since Loughborough has overtaken 80% of RG universities.

I'm pretty happy here, definitely! The campus, teaching, learning support, accomodation, social life and much more are absolutely brilliant from my exerience so far, and it makes me forget about RG universities altogether aha. Lboro was my choice as recently it has been improving a lot, and as you say, it has risen above 80% RG group uni's which is pretty impressive.
I'm pretty happy here, definitely! The campus, teaching, learning support, accomodation, social life and much more are absolutely brilliant from my exerience so far, and it makes me forget about RG universities altogether aha. Lboro was my choice as recently it has been improving a lot, and as you say, it has risen above 80% RG group uni's which is pretty impressive.

That's good! And it's more than pretty impressive! Loughborough has beaten UCL and Warwick in RG!
Reply 14

What modules do I need to learn? I know I need to study FP1, FP2 and FP3 but I heard you take extra modules for Further Maths like S1 etc
What modules do I need to learn? I know I need to study FP1, FP2 and FP3 but I heard you take extra modules for Further Maths like S1 etc

For the AS, you have to take FP1 and any two optional modules, excluding the optional module used for your AS Maths (because it can't count twice!). So you can (potentially) take S1, M1, D1, FP2/3 (if you have very strong C3/4 knowledge), S2 (if you have learnt S1 as your AS Maths module), M2 (if you have learnt M1 as your AS Maths module) or D2 (if you have learnt D1 as your AS Maths module). The complete accuracy of this will vary slightly between exam boards, as they all have their own module prerequisites, so treat this as only a guide.

The three modules you take come together to provide you with a qualification in AS Further Maths.

For the A2, you have to take another 3 modules. You must take at least one of FP2 or FP3 (you can take one without the other) and then you also have the choice of the optional modules, once again excluding the optional modules you studied for AS Maths and Further Maths and the optional module you are studying for A2 Maths. You can take M2, D2, S2, S3, M3 and, in some cases, M4, M5, S4, S5 and so on. It really is up to you, but is dependent on your other choices.

I would recommend that you have a look at specification of your own exam board, however, so that you can understand what exactly they require and get the complete and more thorough details.

Hope this help and good luck self-teaching. I self taught and it is very enriching! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Hi, please can someone tell me how Further Maths works ?

I achieved an A* in Edexcel Maths but I want to take FM up to AS Level or A2.

I completed C1-4 and S1-2 in June 2016.How does AS FM work ?

Can I choose FP1, S1 and S2 as my AS modules for Further Maths ?
Original post by Danllo
Hi, please can someone tell me how Further Maths works ?I achieved an A* in Edexcel Maths but I want to take FM up to AS Level or A2. I completed C1-4 and S1-2 in June 2016.How does AS FM work ?Can I choose FP1, S1 and S2 as my AS modules for Further Maths ?

Well no, you can't pick S1 and S2 since they're in your normal maths. You'd have to pick 3 modules that you haven't done, like FP1, M1 and D1 for the AS and then for A2 a combo of the 3 between FP2/FP3/M2/M3/D2 and whatever other modules that edexcel has.
If you're in year 12 then do the exam as an external student, its what im doing, my school offers it but it clashes with my timetable ;(
Another thing i recommend is asking your maths department for occasional 1:1 tuition for it, you will need it if you're in year 12, it can get kinda confusing at FP1.

However if you aren't intending on doing maths/physics degree and an A2 isn't that much more important to you than an AS then i recommend doing it after a year of maths, like me. FP1 becomes a piece of cake, you can choose D1 as one of your modules you study which is also super easy and the third one is either D2 or an advancement to a module you do at normal maths. Better to have a year to decide what you like more as S2/M2 look hard (im gonna do D2 :P)
Of course this is very unlikely as A2's are better, im just doing an AS to make maths offers lower XD

tl;dr take it as external student, recommend getting 1:1 tuition

Quick Reply

Latest