The Student Room Group

How expensive is moving out for uni? Do you regret it?

Title.
Reply 1
bumpppppp
Original post by Hackerman
bumpppppp

Title.

How expensive it is really depends on the cost of accomodation where you are looking to go to uni at. Prices in halls can vary hugely, private renting can sometimes be cheaper but can be a hassle to organise before you've even started at a uni. Personally I didn't regret moving away for uni because I wanted the full uni experience, and living away made it easier to meet lots of people, go out clubbing and take part in society events.
There are a lot of think that needs to taken into account. For me for current position I need to move away as no were near me did want to do. SO moved out
You cna work out yourself a rough budget before you go and compare the two.
Acommodation and food being the major items.
Full uni experience comes at a cost, but it doesnt work fro everyone. You have to decide if its worth it.
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
How expensive it is really depends on the cost of accomodation where you are looking to go to uni at. Prices in halls can vary hugely, private renting can sometimes be cheaper but can be a hassle to organise before you've even started at a uni. Personally I didn't regret moving away for uni because I wanted the full uni experience, and living away made it easier to meet lots of people, go out clubbing and take part in society events.

What counts as expensive and what counts as cheap?
Is £3000/4000 good or bad?

As in relative to the amount to the amount of money you will receive. Do you know how much your grant might be?

As when compared to acommodation at other Unis. Have you done any research?

As compared to commuting.

Bearing in mind what you get for your money. Quality of accommodation, benefit, type of acommodation i.e self catering v catered.
(edited 7 years ago)
Title.

Hello :smile:

As some people have mentioned it depends on the university and your accommodation and the amount of Student Finance you receive.

If you are going to university or thinking about going to university, you have to accept that in one way or another, you are going to have some form of debt at the end of it. It's what comes with being a student and it's the price to pay (or not pay as the case may seem). I have never regretted going to university and spending the amount that I did.

If Student Finance covers your accommodation costs, it's not too bad - however, for a lot of students this isn't the case. If it doesn't, then you are looking at getting jobs, borrowing of family or getting other bursaries or using overdrafts to pay for your accommodation and then it all adds up!

Best way to figure it out is look at accommodation costs and how much you'll spend a week on food shopping and such - as well as leisure activities and such!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:

As some people have mentioned it depends on the university and your accommodation and the amount of Student Finance you receive.

If you are going to university or thinking about going to university, you have to accept that in one way or another, you are going to have some form of debt at the end of it. It's what comes with being a student and it's the price to pay (or not pay as the case may seem). I have never regretted going to university and spending the amount that I did.

If Student Finance covers your accommodation costs, it's not too bad - however, for a lot of students this isn't the case. If it doesn't, then you are looking at getting jobs, borrowing of family or getting other bursaries or using overdrafts to pay for your accommodation and then it all adds up!

Best way to figure it out is look at accommodation costs and how much you'll spend a week on food shopping and such - as well as leisure activities and such!

Good luck :smile:

Thank you for the reply. What would you say us expensive/cheap? Is £3400 good?
I basically have the choice of going to Newcastle (good uni) vs Salford (not v good uni). Considering I live in Manchester, Salford would be cheaper - but is the better uni worth the accommodation prices?
Reply 9
It all depends where you are going and on the accommodation you've applied to.

It costed me almost £1000 to move out, as I was rejected for halls (applied through clearing) and had to look for private accommodation along with 200 others. The worst thing was I had to pay rent for the next month a week after moving out, but my student finance didn't come on time.

Though it was a bit of a hassle, I got a really really nice house with spacious room (though its 30-40mins walk to campus). Plus its much cheaper than halls.

I'd recommend working during the summer to save up for uni, in case you end up in a similar situation as me.
I basically have the choice of going to Newcastle (good uni) vs Salford (not v good uni). Considering I live in Manchester, Salford would be cheaper - but is the better uni worth the accommodation prices?

No problem :smile: £3400 is around what I paid for my accommodation in Lincoln and it was worth it. It was a lovely halls and I had great memories in that. Sure, it's the cheaper option but would you be happy there? I'd suggest going for the better university with the accommodation price - you'll enjoy your time better in the long run!

£3000-4000 would be at the cheaper end
Reply 12
Moving into student accommodation can really affect your student experience. You will meet a lot more people, become a lot closer with them, learn new skills of how to get along with everyone, cooking, cleaning, budgeting bills, you hear about university events and opportunities quicker...
It completely changed my university experience by being on campus/ in student dorms. My friends that stayed at home had a very different experience that was a lot quieter.

Why only the choice betwen those two unis? To add to what Rose M has said about how it affects the uni experience, I would say its also worth the costs of moving away if a uni further away has a course and campus you prefer.
Reply 14
Original post by jelly1000
Why only the choice betwen those two unis? To add to what Rose M has said about how it affects the uni experience, I would say its also worth the costs of moving away if a uni further away has a course and campus you prefer.

Because only Newcastle (and Lancashire & Kings College London but I dont really want to go to them) do Computer Sci courses where Maths at A-Level isnt needed.
Because only Newcastle (and Lancashire & Kings College London but I dont really want to go to them) do Computer Sci courses where Maths at A-Level isnt needed.

I see

Quick Reply

Latest