The Student Room Group

Cant get Tuition Fee support for 1st year, but can for 2nd and 3rd Year

I'm a 1st year Media Studies Student studying from September 2016 at the University of Brighton. I previously attempted 2 years of a Criminology degree at the same university. The first year basically went to **** halfway through because I ended up going to counselling for depression and having a horrible time with it, as well as getting cut off financially by my parents (They had previously been supporting me with 1grand per term as I was receiving the minimal maintenance loan amount and no grants or anything, but we had a falling out and that stopped, didn't help the awful time I was having). I left uni until the following september (2015) and came back to repeat my first year and give it another go with my finances more in order and my head screwed on straight (A much better frame of mind once I'd dealt with my issues)

I completed the year but basically realized by the end of the year I really wasn't enjoying my course. What I wanted 2 years ago when I left college wasn't what I wanted anymore, I dont think I was ever in the best position to decide what I wanted to do with my studies/future career at the time.So I did a lot of research and reflection on what I wanted to do, and ended up deciding that a Media Studies course would be much more up my alley. Luckily I got accepted for an internal transfer to the new course from the University and am now on said Media Studies Course.

Unfortunately I am now being told by Student Finance England that they won't pay for my 1st year's tuition fees as I already used up 2 years on the previous course, and they'll only cover tuition fee loans for years 2 and 3 of my course. Supposedly this is because they cover the length of your chosen course + an additional year, and seeing as my original course was 3 years long that leaves me with 2 years worth of tuition fee loan left.What can I do? I really enjoy my new course and I've finally got myself settled and happy in the area and in life in general with a nice house and I feel like I've finally got everything under control and I'm on the right path in terms of studies and career, and I really dont want to leave the course.I cant get a loan from basically anywhere other than student finance because my credit score is supposedly terrible due to me still repaying my halls fees from year 1 in a monthly repayment plan.
Original post by Dawge
I'm a 1st year Media Studies Student studying from September 2016 at the University of Brighton. I previously attempted 2 years of a Criminology degree at the same university. The first year basically went to **** halfway through because I ended up going to counselling for depression and having a horrible time with it, as well as getting cut off financially by my parents (They had previously been supporting me with 1grand per term as I was receiving the minimal maintenance loan amount and no grants or anything, but we had a falling out and that stopped, didn't help the awful time I was having). I left uni until the following september (2015) and came back to repeat my first year and give it another go with my finances more in order and my head screwed on straight (A much better frame of mind once I'd dealt with my issues)

I completed the year but basically realized by the end of the year I really wasn't enjoying my course. What I wanted 2 years ago when I left college wasn't what I wanted anymore, I dont think I was ever in the best position to decide what I wanted to do with my studies/future career at the time.So I did a lot of research and reflection on what I wanted to do, and ended up deciding that a Media Studies course would be much more up my alley. Luckily I got accepted for an internal transfer to the new course from the University and am now on said Media Studies Course.

Unfortunately I am now being told by Student Finance England that they won't pay for my 1st year's tuition fees as I already used up 2 years on the previous course, and they'll only cover tuition fee loans for years 2 and 3 of my course. Supposedly this is because they cover the length of your chosen course + an additional year, and seeing as my original course was 3 years long that leaves me with 2 years worth of tuition fee loan left.What can I do? I really enjoy my new course and I've finally got myself settled and happy in the area and in life in general with a nice house and I feel like I've finally got everything under control and I'm on the right path in terms of studies and career, and I really dont want to leave the course.I cant get a loan from basically anywhere other than student finance because my credit score is supposedly terrible due to me still repaying my halls fees from year 1 in a monthly repayment plan.

You can also get full funding (which includes tuition fees) for your first year if you send in compelling personal reasons.

You need to send in:

1. A cover letter from yourself explaining the situation, why you left that course (depression) how it affected you and caused you to drop out - ALSO include your customer reference number on this letter so they can identify your account.
2. Professional evidence which can be from the Councillor just supporting your claim and also explaining what happened and how you were etc - send as much evidence as possible

Send it to:

Student Finance England
Darlington
PO BOX 210
DL1 9HJ

It will take around 14 working days for SFE to review your compelling personal reasons and it's all down to the assessors discretion whether it gets accepted or not. If it does get accepted then you will be awarded tuition fees/full funding for year 1 of your new course also!

let me know if you need any further help, cheers
(edited 7 years ago)
Future finance?
Reply 3
Original post by lawlieto
Future finance?

I got told earlier that they wouldnt do mine as it's first year. Dunno about other courses.
Original post by cbblitz
I got told earlier that they wouldnt do mine as it's first year. Dunno about other courses.

?? did they tell you that? it sounds a silly reason to not to pay because "it's first year" o.O have you contacted them directly?
Reply 5
?? did they tell you that? it sounds a silly reason to not to pay because "it's first year" o.O have you contacted them directly?

Sent them a follow up email which hasn't been replied to yet, but here's what I got...

"I've got good news and bad news.

First, let's get the bad news out of the way. Unfortunately, we are unable to approve your application at this time as we do not fund for the first year of this course, Computer Science.

The good news -
we still want to help you fund your studies at ____. Do you require funding for your second year of your course? If yes, great. Simply get back in touch with Future Finance prior to starting your second year. We can re-assess the application at this stage to see if you are eligible. "
Original post by cbblitz
Sent them a follow up email which hasn't been replied to yet, but here's what I got...

"I've got good news and bad news.

First, let's get the bad news out of the way. Unfortunately, we are unable to approve your application at this time as we do not fund for the first year of this course, Computer Science.

The good news -
we still want to help you fund your studies at ____. Do you require funding for your second year of your course? If yes, great. Simply get back in touch with Future Finance prior to starting your second year. We can re-assess the application at this stage to see if you are eligible. "

oh no :frown: you should look at all the companies you can get loan from.. maybe try to contact student finance again? the first poster had some hope for you. Would your uni help you? At my university you can apply for financial help, which you'll have to pay back later.
Reply 7
oh no :frown: you should look at all the companies you can get loan from.. maybe try to contact student finance again? the first poster had some hope for you. Would your uni help you? At my university you can apply for financial help, which you'll have to pay back later.

Looked into a few things, nothing so far. Really, it's just all on me to work and pay the rent for this year at least. For the record, I absolutely hate that concept of "life". Go to uni, go to work, come home, sleep. I HATE that stuff. But being in uni is better than what I did the previous few years and fingers crossed it's only for the next 8 months or so.

Seasonal contracts is rough too cause I've been to a few interviews and signed away going home to spend Christmas with my folks, hanging out with mates, carrying on 8 year traditions in the local nightclub, seeing my fking dog (that one's killing me), picking up my PS3 (okay that one's also killing me :biggrin:). But screw it. People have it worse. It's easy to look at my best mate, going to Wales from the same town and situation as me, getting large loans and €180 from Ireland maintenance while I work 24 hours for €150 which goes directly to my rent...but people have it worse.

Quick Reply

Latest