The Student Room Group

British universities vs Dutch universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
Of course, hope you get into both your UK choices and Netherlands choices so you have an opportunity to choose where you want to go.

Thanks you too!
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Right so I'm applying for 5 British universities here in the UK (Nottingham/Glasgow are my aspirational unis but I'd go for Notts since its closer to my hometown). I'm also applying to Dutch universities as well which I've read about a lot and really like the ones I've applied to.

My mind ends up changing every other day and there's pros and cons of going to either a British or a Dutch uni.

Pros of going to a Dutch uni- It's much cheaper, it has my course taught in English, they do internships at publishing houses (which is what I want to go into) and my aspirational Dutch uni is in an amazing city.

Cons of going to a Dutch uni- Holidays are way shorter, workload is incredibly intense in the first year, uni starts on the 1st September and I don't get any student loans (so basically would have to rely on my family for income)

My friends are saying that I'd probably be better off at a Dutch uni but I'm honestly torn between a British uni or a Dutch one. I've applied to my Dutch unis and just need to put in my grades. I'm sending off my UCAS next week.

Any opinions?

@Josb

I would love to study abroad, so If there is any possibility of getting a scholarship, I would say aim for a Dutch university. Also, if you have the money don't let anything stop you from trying to broaden your view as much as possible - just make sure you're very passionate about your subject so that you can cope with the load. There will probably be available support for you no matter the university you go for (don't take my word for it, though).
Original post by Keen_student
I would love to study abroad, so If there is any possibility of getting a scholarship, I would say aim for a Dutch university. Also, if you have the money don't let anything stop you from trying to broaden your view as much as possible - just make sure you're very passionate about your subject so that you can cope with the load. There will probably be available support for you no matter the university you go for (don't take my word for it, though).

I'm surprised no one's tackled the topic of how foreign degree go down with British employers. From what I'm aware of, not very well!

I have a European friend who's mom used to work as a doctor in her home country. When they moved to the UK her mom's degree wasn't accepted by the NHS hospitals and she wasn't even accepted as a nurse until she took a UK nursing course!
I have also recently read an article about someone from a European country- can't remember which, but have a strong feeling it might have been dutch actually -who was a physiotherapist in his country but wasn't taken by the NHS in the UK, and after years wasting time on short courses he just decided to open his own private clinique.

This might apply almost only for sensitive kind of jobs like in the health sector, but I do remember having this Polish friend who studied psychology back in Poland and said that her degree wasn't worth much during her job search here in the UK. She even mentioned that she was filling this online job application and they asked her what uni she graduated from at some point in the form, but there wasn't a space to enter her uni, only a drop down menu with British universities only! And there was no option to select "Other" or something, meaning that the employer only takes people from British unis.
I do personally remember seeing drop menus similar to what she described in job apps I've filled before.

I believe courses for the same subject can be hugely different in different countries (even European countries). Every country has its own cultural context and views things from different perspectives. Companies also operate differently and each country has its own work culture and work practices...etc. Things are done differently.
British employers are also familiar with British degrees and British companies. So if you say you've done course X in uni Y, they'd know roughly what you learnt and what to expect from you in terms of skills. Most of their hires would have been grads from the UK, so they're familiar with their background. So if you come from an "unfamiliar" background, that might put them off...etc.
There's also the thing that employer references (from your internships) are covered by a set of laws (honesty..etc) in the UK, but not the same applies in the Netherlands, so it might be that they don't necessary trust that you've done whatever you're claiming you did over in Holland...

So for my part, I would recommend doing most of your degree and internships in the UK as they're directly relevant (and understood) by British employers. A year abroad would be good though as it would give you more of an international insight which is recommended but not necessary.
Original post by candyaljamila
I'm surprised no one's tackled the topic of how foreign degree go down with British employers. From what I'm aware of, not very well!

I have a European friend who's mom used to work as a doctor in her home country. When they moved to the UK her mom's degree wasn't accepted by the NHS hospitals and she wasn't even accepted as a nurse until she took a UK nursing course!
I have also recently read an article about someone from a European country- can't remember which, but have a strong feeling it might have been dutch actually -who was a physiotherapist in his country but wasn't taken by the NHS in the UK, and after years wasting time on short courses he just decided to open his own private clinique.

This might apply almost only for sensitive kind of jobs like in the health sector, but I do remember having this Polish friend who studied psychology back in Poland and said that her degree wasn't worth much during her job search here in the UK. She even mentioned that she was filling this online job application and they asked her what uni she graduated from at some point in the form, but there wasn't a space to enter her uni, only a drop down menu with British universities only! And there was no option to select "Other" or something, meaning that the employer only takes people from British unis.
I do personally remember seeing drop menus similar to what she described in job apps I've filled before.

I believe courses for the same subject can be hugely different in different countries (even European countries). Every country has its own cultural context and views things from different perspectives. Companies also operate differently and each country has its own work culture and work practices...etc. Things are done differently.
British employers are also familiar with British degrees and British companies. So if you say you've done course X in uni Y, they'd know roughly what you learnt and what to expect from you in terms of skills. Most of their hires would have been grads from the UK, so they're familiar with their background. So if you come from an "unfamiliar" background, that might put them off...etc.
There's also the thing that employer references (from your internships) are covered by a set of laws (honesty..etc) in the UK, but not the same applies in the Netherlands, so it might be that they don't necessary trust that you've done whatever you're claiming you did over in Holland...

So for my part, I would recommend doing most of your degree and internships in the UK as they're directly relevant (and understood) by British employers. A year abroad would be good though as it would give you more of an international insight which is recommended but not necessary.

These are really good points you've made - I didn't even think about that! But perhaps transnational companies e.g. PWC would appreciate degrees from foreign universities more than parts of the public sector? What do you think?
Original post by Keen_student
These are really good points you've made - I didn't even think about that! But perhaps transnational companies e.g. PWC would appreciate degrees from foreign universities more than parts of the public sector? What do you think?

I've had foreign friends who were excellent in their mother tongue (duh!) and had IELTS/TOEFEL certificates proving their proficiency in English as well as doing a course in English and their mother tongue in their country. That still wasn't accepted as proof of being able to translate from one language to the other for British employers!

Lots of them would rather take someone who's slightly less fluent but who's got UK recognised degrees like NVQs and community translation certificates than someone who's excellent because it's their mother tongue but has foreign degrees/experiences the employer isn't familiar with!

It might also be that these employers simply prefer to employ British people rather than them having doubts about the qualifications. But thought I'd report what I've heard from personal experience and leave the OP and anyone else to come up with their own conclusions.
I've had foreign friends who were excellent in their mother tongue (duh!) and had IELTS/TOEFEL certificates proving their proficiency in English as well as doing a course in English and their mother tongue in their country. That still wasn't accepted as proof of being able to translate from one language to the other for British employers!

Lots of them would rather take someone who's slightly less fluent but who's got UK recognised degrees like NVQs and community translation certificates than someone who's excellent because it's their mother tongue but has foreign degrees/experiences the employer isn't familiar with!

It might also be that these employers simply prefer to employ British people rather than them having doubts about the qualifications. But thought I'd report what I've heard from personal experience and leave the OP and anyone else to come up with their own conclusions.

You bring up some points that are pretty deep and need to look into. My main plan is basically go to the Netherlands for my undergrad and then come back to England for my Masters and phD.

And I am British btw. I just want to go abroad for uni.
You bring up some points that are pretty deep and need to look into. My main plan is basically go to the Netherlands for my undergrad and then come back to England for my Masters and phD.

i am not the only one who thinks that this is a bad idea
Original post by john2054
i am not the only one who thinks that this is a bad idea

And?

I'd rather go by my gut feeling and by someone whose studied in the Netherlands. Tell me, have you studied abroad?
And?

I'd rather go by my gut feeling and by someone whose studied in the Netherlands. Tell me, have you studied abroad?

No, but i did bring my wife over from Kenya in 2013.
No, but i did bring my wife over from Kenya in 2013.

So you haven't studied abroad? Great thanks for clearing that up!
Original post by SomeGuyHere
You might want to talk your family about it not us. If they are the ones who would have to support you they should get a say.

I think you'll be better off in the UK. Why? Because the repayments aren't bad(nothing under 21k) and you'll have a loan to help you live.

^^^this
^^^this

Is rubbish.

Speaking as an employer, there will be no issue for a British citizen getting a job in the UK with a Dutch degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
^^^this

Main differences is that her friends weren't British and did their degrees abroad. I'm British.

Now can you please get off the thread? You've been incredibly patronising.
Original post by jneill
Is rubbish.

There will be no issue for a British citizen getting a job in the UK with a Dutch degree.

I thought not. If anything don't employers like it that you decided to take the plunge for going abroad for undergraduate studies?
I thought not. If anything don't employers like it that you decided to take the plunge for going abroad for undergraduate studies?

Yes they do. Seeing a candidate that has pushed themselves and done something out of their comfort zone is "a good thing".

The IELTS thing is completely irrelevant, you are a British citizen so it doesn't apply. And Dutch universities are well respected internationally.

If you want to go for it - do so. There's many students now applying to Dutch and other EU universities. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34721679). I'd just chuck in the idea of looking at Ireland too (also cheap, although accomodation in Dublin can be expensive).
Original post by jneill
Yes they do. Seeing a candidate that has pushed themselves and done something out of their comfort zone is "a good thing".

The IELTS thing is completely irrelevant, you are a British citizen so it doesn't apply. And Dutch universities are well respected internationally.

If you want to go for it - do so. There's many students now applying to Dutch and other EU universities. I'd just chuck in the idea of looking at Ireland too (also cheap, although accomodation in Dublin can be expensive).

On top of that my course offers internships and publishing houses and I learn Dutch, Italian or Swedish.
I looked at Queens in Belfast and I think that was £9k a year too. I think I'd rather go for the Netherlands. I looked at other European countries but I liked the Netherlands the most.
Main differences is that her friends weren't British and did their degrees abroad. I'm British.

Now can you please get off the thread? You've been incredibly patronising.

i'm sorry that you don't like what i have to say, but i have been through the uk university system, so i think some people out there will find what i have to say helpful.
On top of that my course offers internships and publishing houses and I learn Dutch, Italian or Swedish.
I looked at Queens in Belfast and I think that was £9k a year too. I think I'd rather go for the Netherlands. I looked at other European countries but I liked the Netherlands the most.

Republic of Ireland, not Belfast :wink:

Dublin: TCD, UCD
Cork: UCC
etc
i'm sorry that you don't like what i have to say, but i have been through the uk university system, so i think some people out there will find what i have to say helpful.

But you haven't studied abroad and maybe if you didn't speak to anyone as if they were 5 year olds you wouldn't be called patronising.

No hun it would be helpful if they were looking at university in America or Canada. Not a country where I can easily get on an hour plane and come home.
Original post by jneill
Is rubbish.

Speaking as an employer, there will be no issue for a British citizen getting a job in the UK with a Dutch degree.

How can you talk about employing people with degrees, when the highest education you have yourself is a levels???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending