The Student Room Group

Im akward as...

Ok im a 17 year old male and have recently started sixth form and still cant keep a good conversation with girls, I have had this problem since secondary school and don't know what to do. I have never been in a relationship but have had girls try and flirt with me however I just shrug them off as I go really awkward.

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Ok im a 17 year old male and have recently started sixth form and still cant keep a good conversation with girls, I have had this problem since secondary school and don't know what to do. I have never been in a relationship but have had girls try and flirt with me however I just shrug them off as I go really awkward.

Any advice?

I used to be awkward af, I think you just need to recognise what makes you awkward and then practice. Try new things and put effort into people and your relationships.

1.Make sure you maintain eye contact, eye contact will improve your conversations so much. Try to look at the persons eyes when talking to them, and sometimes look away for a second while talking then go back to the person but it has to flow.

2.Ask open questions and use your questions to delve deeper into conversations, for example "What do you do for a living?"... "Ok okay thats great, are you doing that because your family did it?". The person who asks questions leads the conversation. +People love talking about themselves.

3. Compliment a piece of clothing or hairstyle. Doesn't mean you like them but it makes you likeable.

4.Don't always say "yeah" "ok" use phrases like "I understand what you mean" "I see where you are coming from".

5. Don't talk to a girl because you like her but talk to a girl because you want to talk to them. This should get rid of awkwardness,

6. Be yourself man, but self improvement is good
(edited 7 years ago)

Any advice?

just be yourself
Reply 3
Original post by kyle12345+6
just be yourself

I put too many acts on to impress people so I don't really know the answer to that anymore.
don't put acts on mate just say what you need to say
Reply 5
Original post by SuperHuman98
I used to be awkward af, I think you just need to recognise what makes you awkward and then practice. Try new things and put effort into people and your relationships.

1.Make sure you maintain eye contact, eye contact will improve your conversations so much. Try to look at the persons eyes when talking to them, and sometimes look away for a second while talking then go back to the person but it has to flow.

2.Ask open questions and use your questions to delve deeper into conversations, for example "What do you do for a living?"... "Ok okay thats great, are you doing that because your family did it?". The person who asks questions leads the conversation. +People love talking about themselves.

3. Compliment a piece of clothing or hairstyle. Doesn't mean you like them but it makes you likeable.

4.Don't always say "yeah" "ok" use phrases like "I understand what you mean" "I see where you are coming from".

5. Don't talk to a girl because you like her but talk to a girl because you want to talk to them. This should get rid of awkwardness,

6. Be yourself man, but self improvement is good

Thanks bro you have helped so much :smile:
Thanks bro you have helped so much :smile:

No worries feel free to PM me if you need any advice on social stuffs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending