Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Republic of Ireland, not Belfast :wink:

Dublin: TCD, UCD
Cork: UCC
etc

Ohhhhhh. Irish accents are pretty :love:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
But you haven't studied abroad and maybe if you didn't speak to anyone as if they were 5 year olds you wouldn't be called patronising.

No hun it would be helpful if they were looking at university in America or Canada. Not a country where I can easily get on an hour plane and come home.

You are braver then i am, to study for a degree abroad. Good luck if you do choose this route!?!
Original post by john2054
You are braver then i am, to study for a degree abroad. Good luck if you do choose this route!?!

Thank you.
How can you talk about employing people with degrees, when the highest education you have yourself is a levels???

What does my education (30 years ago) have to do with who I employ?

And I have a CompSci HND from a poly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
What does my education have to do with who I employ?

And I have a CompSci HND from a poly.

we are talking about modern degrees here thanks
How can you talk about employing people with degrees, when the highest education you have yourself is a levels???

Just because you have a degree there's no need to have that snobby attitude and look down on those who don't for whatever reason.

No offence but for someone in his 30s you come off an immature.
Reply 126
Original post by candyaljamila

I have a European friend who's mom used to work as a doctor in her home country. When they moved to the UK her mom's degree wasn't accepted by the NHS hospitals and she wasn't even accepted as a nurse until she took a UK nursing course!
I have also recently read an article about someone from a European country- can't remember which, but have a strong feeling it might have been dutch actually -who was a physiotherapist in his country but wasn't taken by the NHS in the UK, and after years wasting time on short courses he just decided to open his own private clinique.

This might apply almost only for sensitive kind of jobs like in the health sector, but I do remember having this Polish friend who studied psychology back in Poland and said that her degree wasn't worth much during her job search here in the UK.

Medicine is a "protected" degree in most countries.

Polish universities are unknown in the UK and there isn't exactly a lack of psychology graduates there, taking a foreigner is meaningless in most cases.

Going abroad depends on what you want to do. She wants to work in publishing, where having language skills is strongly recommended (for book translation and exportation) so it's relevant on her case.

You are sailing close to the wind - please desist.
Original post by jneill
You are sailing close to the wind - please desist.

My dad's older than you are (in his mid sixties), dropped out of uni and he's earning a pretty decent salary. What that guy's saying is total rubbish so please just ignore it :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by candyaljamila
I've had foreign friends who were excellent in their mother tongue (duh!) and had IELTS/TOEFEL certificates proving their proficiency in English as well as doing a course in English and their mother tongue in their country. That still wasn't accepted as proof of being able to translate from one language to the other for British employers!

Lots of them would rather take someone who's slightly less fluent but who's got UK recognised degrees like NVQs and community translation certificates than someone who's excellent because it's their mother tongue but has foreign degrees/experiences the employer isn't familiar with!

It might also be that these employers simply prefer to employ British people rather than them having doubts about the qualifications. But thought I'd report what I've heard from personal experience and leave the OP and anyone else to come up with their own conclusions.

You need a degree in translation to work in translation... The UK is filled with immigrants from every country in the world, employers can therefore be very demanding for these jobs. You just have to look at Reed; every translating job in Russian, Spanish, Arabic, etc. gets more than 100 applications. The only languages that are sought after are German and Eastern Asian (Chinese and Japanese).
Moreover, employers often expect you to be fluent in at least on programming language, since much translating work is related to digital content nowadays (internet pages, software, apps, games, etc.).
(edited 7 years ago)
My dad's older than you are (in his mid sixties), dropped out of uni and he's earning a pretty decent salary. What that guy's saying is total rubbish so please just ignore it :smile:

dw. I know :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Josb
Medicine is a "protected" degree in most countries.

Polish universities are unknown in the UK and there isn't exactly a lack of psychology graduates there, taking a foreigner is meaningless in most cases.

Going abroad depends on what you want to do. She wants to work in publishing, where having language skills is strongly recommended (for book translation and exportation) so it's relevant on her case.

Not entirely relatable because I'm British. Her friends are all foreigners.

Thanks!

(And I can see you are too - which is more important.)
Original post by jneill

Thanks!

(And I can see you are too - which is more important.)

So my course offers a language alongside it. Since I'm not fluent in Dutch I get to choose from Dutch, Swedish,Italian,Polish and Czech. Atm I'm rooting towards Dutch but would Italian sound better to employers?

Don't you have a Sociology with Theatre Studies degree...?
So my course offers a language alongside it. Since I'm not fluent in Dutch I get to choose from Dutch, Swedish,Italian,Polish and Czech. Atm I'm rooting towards Dutch but would Italian sound better to employers?

That I can't answer. It would entirely depend on the employer and what you wanted to do.

My thoughts: Italian is a more "popular" language, but you will be living in Holland so Dutch would probably be more relevant for your personal experience. And the locals would definitely appreciate it. On balance, I think Dutch.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Don't you have a Sociology with Theatre Studies degree...?

Yes Sociology major with theatre studies minor at derby class of 2016, your point being? Do you think this is an easy, or otherwise poor degree? I don't know how it holds up to the rest, but i can assure you that it wasn't easy, by any means!
Original post by jneill
That I can't answer. It would entirely depend on the employer and what you wanted to do.

My thoughts: Italian is a more "popular" language, but you will be living in Holland so Dutch would probably be more relevant for your personal experience. And the locals would definitely appreciate it. On balance, I think Dutch.

Yup was rooting towards Dutch. I know German and its not too different from Dutch so could be helpful.
Yup was rooting towards Dutch. I know German and its not too different from Dutch so could be helpful.

Should be a breeze then. :smile:
Original post by jneill
Should be a breeze then. :smile:

Hopefully. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending