The Student Room Group

Interviewer smirked while I was discussing my work

I just interviewed at a company for a Junior level role as a recent arts graduate. Obviously I'm not the most seasoned or experienced individual, however, I have got some voluntary and freelance experience. Nevertheless, I applied, got through to the interview stage. Everything about the applicant stage had been pleasant, up until today when, while I was explaining my work, responding to questions and communicating the interviewers sporadically kept glancing at each other signalling non verbally (I guess).

One particular person was smirking, as though to find something amusing, whilst the other one was piercingly glaring at a spot on my suit jacket where I noticed a slight smear or discolouration on the suit. Up until this point, I'd hardly noticed it, but it was off putting, and the demeanour of the other interviewer was that he was uninterested, dismissive and somewhat mocking I felt like asking what the problem was.*

The lady interviewer was very sort of dominant and seemed to try and take the moral high ground and look snootily at me, while the male interviewer sort of smirked into his hands as he rubbed his face.

Perhaps my work wasn't up to par, perhaps I wasn't the right candidate, perhaps they didn't connect with my passions, or buy any of my responses or simply maybe they were just plain rude.

Anybody else encounter smirks during interviewing?*
Just got a job and had a lot of interviews also

IMHO if you don't get the job you dodged a bullet :lol:
No. That's not only not nice it's also downright unprofessional of them. If you are not offered the job screw them. You are worth more than that and will find something with people more suitable. Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by markova21
No. That's not only not nice it's also downright unprofessional of them. If you are not offered the job screw them. You are worth more than that and will find something with people more suitable. Good luck.

It was as though he didn't believe a word I was saying, you could see it in his eyes. A look of disbelief, but also that he wanted to entertain himself by sort of smirking and looking at his colleague, sort of enjoying it.

Most of the negativity was non verbal cues I picked up on, so it wasn't so blatant, apart from the occasional off handed remark that sort of suggested to me that he didn't believe me or wasn't impressed by a particular response I gave.

Perhaps they looked into one project I had undertaken since they seemed very interested in that and what that particular client wanted, how she took it. In fact, that particular client wasn't very responsive and in actual fact didn't use my work. So perhaps they checked up on that and decided to quiz me on it, who knows, maybe I've overthinking it.

Nonetheless, there was no need for his crude facial expressions. I would've understood if it was a rehearsal for a theatrical position not a design role.*

Thinking back, shortly before interview we had an impromptu chat as he told me to take a seat he sat at a right angle to me rather than opposite, stating he didn't want to make it feel like he was going to grill me. In hindsight, I feel like that was a pretty pointless remark to make, and if anything telling. I mean, why state something like that. Clearly, I feel now, it was a moot point to even suggest your not going to do something. 9 times out of 10 you end up doing so.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't see what was so bad with what they were doing. They were obviously on the lookout for the very best and your interview was under par.
Original post by #ChaosKass
I don't see what was so bad with what they were doing. They were obviously on the lookout for the very best and your interview was under par.

Your "advice" on EVERY THREAD I see is rude insulting garbage. I'm not the only TSR member to notice this either. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by #ChaosKass

When will your annoying and stupid comments stop. I'm 110% sure that TSR is waiting for you to leave.
Original post by sarskinz
When will your annoying and stupid comments stop. I'm 110% sure that TSR is waiting for you to leave.

They're part of the Donald Trump and UKIP societies, and they use a profile picture of someone known for their, ahem, "aggressive and polarizing strategic gameplay" who was "widely disliked". They know exactly what they're doing.
Sounds rubbish OP. If they came across that they were looking down on you, then its they who are idiots. There are tactics you cna use to get bacck their attention and keep them focused on your suitabiliyu for the job. Plenty of interview books will teach you the techniques.

Some interviewers are untrained and thats one thing to pick up on. Notch it down to experience and dont let it put you off.
That's just unprofessional and trust me, you wouldn't want to work for people like that. As an interviewer it's up to them to ask questions to find out if you're a good fit, putting a candidate off only means they're not getting the insight they need to make the correct decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending