The Student Room Group

Hyms a100 2017

A total of 85 points can be achieved
UKCAT = 40, GCSE = 30, SJT Band = 15

Last year Bands 1/2 were given equal points.

For GCSE's, you need a B in English and Math (GCSE) - if you meet these requirements, regardless of what subjects they are - your top 8 GCSEs are scored.

From the scoring system, I assume A* = 3.75, A = 3 (since 3.75 X 8 = 30)

They used deciles last year, if its the same then it will be 4 points per decile - ie. if you're in the 10th decile you'll receive the full 40 points.

Since the cut off last year was 66/90 (73%), a score similar to that percentage would be 62/85. This is not a guaranteed cut off for our year, especially since the SJT is being used for interview selection this year (SJT was not used for interview selection last year, only post - interview).

Having only achieved a UKCAT average of 630, Band 1 - this is very risky I admit. However, 8 A*s and 3 As at GCSE will hopefully make me a borderline case. Additionally I am predicted A*A*A.
I really want to apply here but I know I will have to pick between HYMS and Cardiff (where I have a higher chance of getting an interview).
I read that on a thread, a student managed to get an interview with 7A*s and 2AS, with a UKCAT of 635. But we will have to see.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ShanahanR

Last year Band 1/2 were given equal points.

For GCSE's, you need a B in English and Math (GCSE) - if you meet these requirements, regardless of what subjects they are - your top 8 GCSEs are scored.

From the scoring system, I assume A* = 3.75, A = 3 (since 3.75 X 10 = 40)

They used deciles last year, if its the same then it will be 4 points per decile - ie. if you're in the 10th decile you'll receive the full 40 points.

Since the cut off last year was 66/90 (73%), a score similar to that percentage would be 62/85. This is not a guaranteed cut off for our year, especially since the SJT is being used for interview selection this year (SJT was not used for interview selection last year, only post - interview).

Having only achieved a UKCAT average of 630, Band 1 - this is very risky I admit. However, 8 A*s and 3 As at GCSE will hopefully make me a borderline case. Additionally I am predicted A*A*A.
I really want to apply here but I know I will have to pick between HYMS and Cardiff (where I have a higher chance of getting an interview).
I read that on a thread, a student managed to get an interview with 7A*s and 2AS, with a UKCAT of 635. But I am not 100% sure on applying here!

Im also applying to HYMS with GCSE: 3A*7A, AS: AAAA, Predicted: A*A*A*A*, UKCAT: 806 avg band 3 :frown: do you mind if i ask how 3.75 x 10 = 40?? and also how many points would I be
Reply 2

From the scoring system, I assume A* = 3.75, A = 3 (since 3.75 X 10 = 40)

I read that on a thread, a student managed to get an interview with 7A*s and 2AS, with a UKCAT of 635. But I am not 100% sure on applying here!

What is the policy to be eligible for 15 extra points because of contextual data? I cannot find it on the website
Reply 3
Original post by Pawini
Im also applying to HYMS with GCSE: 3A*7A, AS: AAAA, Predicted: A*A*A*A*, UKCAT: 806 avg band 3 :frown: do you mind if i ask how 3.75 x 10 = 40?? and also how many points would I be

Oops, I meant 3.75 x 8 = 30! (Since they score 8 GCSEs).
Your UKCAT score is amazing! You really don't have to worry. You would get the full marks for UKCAT (40) or something very similar, an additional 26 points from GCSE and then maybe 5 (?) from SJT. A score in the region of 71/85 is nothing to worry about!
Also are you applying to Newcastle? You'd be very very likely to secure an interview solely from your UKCAT score.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nu7
What is the policy to be eligible for 15 extra points because of contextual data? I cannot find it on the website

I'm not entirely sure myself.
Have you tried calling admissions? If you go on the hyms website and find their contact details I am sure they can answer that for you.
Reply 5
do you guys have any idea how UKCAT will be scored?
Reply 6
Original post by hay_tuz
do you guys have any idea how UKCAT will be scored?

When I called Admissions, they said that they use deciles. If you look at the UKCAT website, they released their final data yesterday at 5 PM.
Last year, they used 50 points for UKCAT, 5 points if you're in the 1st decile - 10 points if you're in the second decile, 15 points if you're in the 3rd decile. All the way up until 50 points for the 10th decile (so 5 points for every decile).

This year, your UKCAT score at HYMS is out of 40. Therefore, although it is not guaranteed, if it is anything like last year it will be 4 points for every decile. If you're in the first decile you would receive 4 points, if in the second, 8 - so on and so on until 40 points for being in the 10th decile.

The lady who spoke to me told me that they use the NATIONAL deciles. This is what I am really really hoping to be true. My suspicions only exist because on previous years' threads, students spoke about how HYMS wait to get all the UKCAT scores of individuals applying there, and then make their very own deciles. Additionally on their website, they specifically say how they have to wait until all UKCAT data is sent to HYMS before making the scores. If this were the case and they do make their own deciles based on applicants, I seriously would not apply. My score is no where near as high as others who apply to HYMS.
I will try and get this confirmed however.
When I called Admissions, they said that they use deciles. If you look at the UKCAT website, they released their final data yesterday at 5 PM.
Last year, they used 50 points for UKCAT, 5 points if you're in the 1st decile - 10 points if you're in the second decile, 15 points if you're in the 3rd decile. All the way up until 50 points for the 10th decile (so 5 points for every decile).

This year, your UKCAT score at HYMS is out of 40. Therefore, although it is not guaranteed, if it is anything like last year it will be 4 points for every decile. If you're in the first decile you would receive 4 points, if in the second, 8 - so on and so on until 40 points for being in the 10th decile.

The lady who spoke to me told me that they use the NATIONAL deciles. This is what I am really really hoping to be true. My suspicions only exist because on previous years' threads, students spoke about how HYMS wait to get all the UKCAT scores of individuals applying there, and then make their very own deciles. Additionally on their website, they specifically say how they have to wait until all UKCAT data is sent to HYMS before making the scores. If this were the case and they do make their own deciles based on applicants, I seriously would not apply. My score is no where near as high as others who apply to HYMS.
I will try and get this confirmed however.

Can you explain what you mean by 10th decile? I looked at the UKCAT official test results and it only goes up to 9th decile? Am i missing something here? ahaha
Reply 8
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Can you explain what you mean by 10th decile? I looked at the UKCAT official test results and it only goes up to 9th decile? Am i missing something here? ahaha

I think it will just be anyone who got a score higher than the 9th decile :smile:
But it is just an indication for how HYMS will score their applicants. Additionally, they confirmed that last year they used national deciles (Pearson's values), not their own deciles. I was told by admissions that they will be doing that again this year.
I think it will just be anyone who got a score higher than the 9th decile :smile:
But it is just an indication for how HYMS will score their applicants. Additionally, they confirmed that last year they used national deciles (Pearson's values), not their own deciles. I was told by admissions that they will be doing that again this year.

Thanks for the confirmation! Any idea if they still rank Band 1 and 2 the same for SJT, and also, how do you know what the cutoff was last year? :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks for the confirmation! Any idea if they still rank Band 1 and 2 the same for SJT, and also, how do you know what the cutoff was last year? :smile:

No worries. I never asked actually, last year it was used only post interview and you could get 20 points for it - since it's only 15 this year who knows? I hope they don't grade them the same.
As for the cut off, I called Admissions office and the lady told me :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Are band 1 and 2 SJT ranked the same?
Reply 12
Original post by nu7
Are band 1 and 2 SJT ranked the same?

They did it last year, so it's definitely a possibility for them to do it again this year :smile:
has anyone received an acknowledgement email from them yet ? If so when did you send you UCAS application ?
Original post by nihil_nimis
has anyone received an acknowledgement email from them yet ? If so when did you send you UCAS application ?

I haven't either.
I haven't either.

I just received my acknowledgement email from them
Reply 16

From the scoring system, I assume A* = 3.75, A = 3 (since 3.75 X 8 = 30)

I read that on a thread, a student managed to get an interview with 7A*s and 2AS, with a UKCAT of 635. But we will have to see.

Hey there, I have also applied to HYMS as one of my choices again. I applied there last year too but unfortunately I didn't get any interviews as my ukcat was too low (esp for the unis i applied to).

Just thought i'd give a little insight into what scores i got last year after requesting feedback from HYMS:

Stats:
GCSE: 1A*, 8A's
AS levels: AAAA
A level: A*AA
UKCAT: (2016 entry) = 618 avg, band 2 SJT
2017 entry = 763.3 avg, band 1 SJT

For my GCSE's, I was given 33/40 - the top 8 were scored, which means an A* was given 5 points, A was given 4 points etc... so if its any thing like that this year, your prediction seems quite likely (A* being 3.75 etc etc)

I got 20/50 points for ukcat last year hahaahaa really can't remember what made me go for hull york last year with such a bad score :colonhash: :confused:
Hopefully they will give band 1 and 2 different scores though!

What is everyone thinking of the interview style?
My score is 71.25. Does anyone think that is reasonably safe?
Reply 18
Original post by AZ98
Hey there, I have also applied to HYMS as one of my choices again. I applied there last year too but unfortunately I didn't get any interviews as my ukcat was too low (esp for the unis i applied to).

Just thought i'd give a little insight into what scores i got last year after requesting feedback from HYMS:

Stats:
GCSE: 1A*, 8A's
AS levels: AAAA
A level: A*AA
UKCAT: (2016 entry) = 618 avg, band 2 SJT
2017 entry = 763.3 avg, band 1 SJT

For my GCSE's, I was given 33/40 - the top 8 were scored, which means an A* was given 5 points, A was given 4 points etc... so if its any thing like that this year, your prediction seems quite likely (A* being 3.75 etc etc)

I got 20/50 points for ukcat last year hahaahaa really can't remember what made me go for hull york last year with such a bad score :colonhash: :confused:
Hopefully they will give band 1 and 2 different scores though!

What is everyone thinking of the interview style?

Wow that is one amazing UKCAT score - well done!
If invited for interview, a maximum of 100 points can be achieved. Two 10 minute interviews are each worth 20 points (which adds up to 40), then you're involved in a scenario whereby an actor acts something out, to which you must respond to (20 points), then a group based environment is set where you're given a case study and must work as a team with new likeminded individuals (20 points).
That all adds up to 80 points, the final 20 points come from your SJT band. Top ranked applicants will be granted an offer :smile:
Reply 19
My score is 71.25. Does anyone think that is reasonably safe?

There is, of course, no guarantee at any Medical School as each applicant will be thoroughly reviewed. Including personal statements, and predicted grades + references to a certain extent
But I don't think you have anything to worry about :smile:
I remember reading threads from previous years saying cut off would be 80/90, in their opinions, which I thought was ridiculously high seeing as only 10% of applicants achieve over 720 in UKCAT. You needed 66/90 last year to be considered, so that equates to around 62/85 this year. Like I said, I think you're in the clear, but I am no Admissions director
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending