The Student Room Group
Moot Law Court, Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University

Engineering at RGU

Do you guys know why the B-eng for mechanical engineering has the same entry requirements as the M-eng?
(edited 7 years ago)
The BEng and MEng courses are identical for the first two years, and what ultimately decides which route you take is your performance at university, not your highers. Maybe that's why they have the same entry requirements.
Moot Law Court, Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
The BEng and MEng courses are identical for the first two years, and what ultimately decides which route you take is your performance at university, not your highers. Maybe that's why they have the same entry requirements.

That makes sense. So is it likely I will get an unconditional based upon my academic results?
Original post by thehmajeed
That makes sense. So is it likely I will get an unconditional based upon my academic results?

I don't know. Depends on the entry requirements.
Original post by Smack

Yeah I've actually heard about that they're the same for the first 2 years. Can you clarify why they're not the same for the first 4 years ? Like what changes because you get a BEng degree in the 4th year of masters as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
Yeah I've actually heard about that they're the same for the first 2 years. Can you clarify why they're not the same for the first 4 years ? Like what changes because you get a BEng degree in the 4th year of masters as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do the fast-track MEng, then during year three you will have the assessed placement and summer modules, which you won't have with the BEng.

But if not, then yes as you have noted, the (5 year) MEng and BEng courses are the same for four years.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
I don't know. Depends on the entry requirements.

Entry requirements are ABBB which i just achieved.
Original post by Smack
If you do the fast-track MEng, then during year three you will have the assessed placement and summer modules, which you won't have with the BEng.

But if not, then yes as you have noted, the (5 year) MEng and BEng courses are the same for four years.

Thanks for explaining. Is years 3 and 4 of the MEng course not too much harder than that of years 3 and 4 of BEng then ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're very likely to get an unconditional given that the number of applicants isn't too high. What subjects you doing this year ? I'm doing Advanced Maths, Advanced Physics and Higher English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you meet the entry requirements I would be surprised if you didn't get an offer, but I'm not sure whether it would be unconditional or not.

Thanks for explaining. Is years 3 and 4 of the MEng course not too much harder than that of years 3 and 4 of BEng then ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're doing the fast-track then years 3 and 4 are a bit harder as you have to work and study over summer.
Original post by Smack

If you're doing the fast-track then years 3 and 4 are a bit harder as you have to work and study over summer.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I think you're very likely to get an unconditional given that the number of applicants isn't too high. What subjects you doing this year ? I'm doing Advanced Maths, Advanced Physics and Higher English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing advanced maths, advanced engineering science, higher chemistry and higher design and manufacture.
I am doing advanced maths, advanced engineering science, higher chemistry and higher design and manufacture.

I'm quite jealous you get to do Engineering Science. Our school never offered it in any years of study. So how is Engineering Science ? Is it easier, harder or the same difficulty of physics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm quite jealous you get to do Engineering Science. Our school never offered it in any years of study. So how is Engineering Science ? Is it easier, harder or the same difficulty of physics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlucky, which school do you go to. Its so amazing bro, its like applying maths and physics to real problems. Its pretty challenging like for my assignment I am designing and constructing a hydroelectric power plant.
Unlucky, which school do you go to. Its so amazing bro, its like applying maths and physics to real problems. Its pretty challenging like for my assignment I am designing and constructing a hydroelectric power plant.

I go to a school in Motherwell, Glasgow. Would prefer not to say which exact one though. Yeah that does sound pretty interesting, this subject would have been very useful for people doing Engineering at uni I imagine. What qualifies you to teach the course ? Do you have to have a BEng in a relevant engineering or something or can physics teachers take it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I go to a school in Motherwell, Glasgow. Would prefer not to say which exact one though. Yeah that does sound pretty interesting, this subject would have been very useful for people doing Engineering at uni I imagine. What qualifies you to teach the course ? Do you have to have a BEng in a relevant engineering or something or can physics teachers take it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I don't teach it cuz I'm in S6 but rarely engineering teachers have a degree in engineering. They mostly have a degree in design and manufacture.
Well I don't teach it cuz I'm in S6 but rarely engineering teachers have a degree in engineering. They mostly have a degree in design and manufacture.

Yeah I never meant you teach it I was saying it in hypothetical terms. What It meant to come of as was "what qualification does an engineering teacher have". Well anyway I was looking at past papers online and it honestly looks harder than physics. A lot of complex looking circuits. I think I would have enjoyed that subject, pity I didn't get to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are many people interested in doing the mechanical and offshore engineering course?
Original post by Dav1dJG
Are many people interested in doing the mechanical and offshore engineering course?

Isn't that offered at Aberdeen ? Anyway I'm actually applying for Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest