The Student Room Group

Applying for psychology and also business

Hi there

I have always thought I wanted to study business but I am concerned that I won't have the minimum requirement for it. I am now looking at psychology courses as this also appeals and I think would be useful in business also. But if I choose a mix of courses how can I get my personal statement to come across well? If I draw out of my experience all the business related stuff then that jeapordises psychology and vice Versa. Help!!
Original post by Emma-C
Hi there

I have always thought I wanted to study business but I am concerned that I won't have the minimum requirement for it. I am now looking at psychology courses as this also appeals and I think would be useful in business also. But if I choose a mix of courses how can I get my personal statement to come across well? If I draw out of my experience all the business related stuff then that jeapordises psychology and vice Versa. Help!!

You've pretty much answered your own question. It really can't be done. Psychology and business are just too different and admissions tutors will clearly see that you are applying to both. To them, it will look like you are unsure about what you want to do and are not fully committed to their course.*

If business is what you really want to do then you should go for it and not compromise with a different degree as your heart won't be in it.*
Reply 2
Thanks for your advice. I know that you are probably right but I ended up taking a gap year this year and really don't want to be in the position of not getting any offers ... might try to contact admission and see if they can help

Original post by Charlotte49
You've pretty much answered your own question. It really can't be done. Psychology and business are just too different and admissions tutors will clearly see that you are applying to both. To them, it will look like you are unsure about what you want to do and are not fully committed to their course.*

If business is what you really want to do then you should go for it and not compromise with a different degree as your heart won't be in it.*
Original post by Emma-C
Hi there

Hi. I know this is weird, but you can have two personal statements. Well, I definitely did 😊lol.
Base your main personal statement around the course you want to do more and submit this with your UCAS form. After you've submitted your UCAS(and it has to be within a day I two I think?), email the admissions tutor (Get the email from the uni website) for the psychology department with another personal statement (I only really changed/tweaked a few paragraphs in mine). Trust me, it works! I got unconditional offers for both courses (at russel group).
Ask your head of sixth form or anyone who deals with uni applications at your college/sixth form what they think you should do. Good luck 😊
Reply 4
Oh that's interesting and you got a great result! Thanks, will look into that.

Original post by Terrificmagenta
Hi. I know this is weird, but you can have two personal statements. Well, I definitely did 😊lol.
Base your main personal statement around the course you want to do more and submit this with your UCAS form. After you've submitted your UCAS(and it has to be within a day I two I think?), email the admissions tutor (Get the email from the uni website) for the psychology department with another personal statement (I only really changed/tweaked a few paragraphs in mine). Trust me, it works! I got unconditional offers for both courses (at russel group).
Ask your head of sixth form or anyone who deals with uni applications at your college/sixth form what they think you should do. Good luck 😊
Look into organisational psychology. Maybe read a few books or articles on it to talk about in PS if you really are determined to apply for both.
Original post by Emma-C
Oh that's interesting and you got a great result! Thanks, will look into that.

No problem
Reply 7
That's a great idea, I will do that thank you. I do believe that business is about people and how they interact so having knowledge of psychology will be really useful. Ideally I'd like to be able to study both, depending on which optional courses there are.

Original post by Noodlzzz
Look into organisational psychology. Maybe read a few books or articles on it to talk about in PS if you really are determined to apply for both.
Why not look into joint honours?

With the two PSs, it is not guaranteed. Admissions tutors don't have to accept a second PS, but it is possible. Psychology is a very popular course
Reply 9
thank you - yes I would be interested in joint honours

Original post by *Interrobang*
Why not look into joint honours?

With the two PSs, it is not guaranteed. Admissions tutors don't have to accept a second PS, but it is possible. Psychology is a very popular course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending