The Student Room Group

Computer Science: Kings College Vs Queen Mary

I cannot decide between the four-year Computer Science courses at Kings and QM. I have visited both at an Open Day but can't pick between them. The Course looks marginally more interesting at Kings but student satisfaction is lower and QM has amazing accommodation and student facilities. Kings is in a nice part of London, but Queen Mary will be cheaper. Can anybody with experience of either please tell me about their time at the Universities. Any help would be appreciated.

Links To Courses:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-msci.aspx
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80041.html
Original post by TheKingTwig

Kcl is a more prestigious uni, I hear it's generally better than qmul.

One thing i know for sure is Qmul will take anyone, they ask for ABB but they will take you even if you get BBC. But kcl ask for AAB and won't take you if you get lower than that - generally. Well that's from what I've heard and seen. So I guess that already says a few things.

But as they say, in the end it's all up to the student how successful you are, no matter where you do go to study.

Btw I go to Qmul, well I just started, for computer science. So far it seems alright, but I obviously can't say anything conclusive yet.
I started at Kings yesterday.
They took me on although I got ABB - they asked for AAB. This happened to another student as well. So it all depends on if the uni need more students to fill their needs - they will automatically say 'unconditional offer' when you get your results.

Anyway I chose Media, Sociology and ICT for my A levels and got out alive from 6th form! I didn't know computer science was something I wanted to do until Year 13 when we started doing UCAS. I reckon I do like computers but I don't have a passion.

My class was 'elementary logic' and it was so boring. I couldn't understand anything. He jumped right into it. Most people were getting into it, some weren't like me - they got confused. The 2 hour lecture was quite draining and it linked to the 1 hour tutorial we had next (we did exercises).

How is Queen Mary's so far?
And also - I applied for Queen Mary as well. So it was between QM and Kings. But I put Kings as my firm choice so....
I was confused like you about whether to choose Kings or QM.
I just went with the most prestige and also I felt comfortable. QM was OK but I didn't feel great being there. Something about the atmosphere.
Reply 4
Did you do an interview to get into king's?
Original post by kaypd
Did you do an interview to get into king's?

Nope - they just asked for my grades. I got ABB and they wanted AAB. But as soon as results day begun, I checked UCAS and they gave me an unconditional offer.
Reply 6
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Nope - they just asked for my grades. I got ABB and they wanted AAB. But as soon as results day begun, I checked UCAS and they gave me an unconditional offer.

How is the course so far? Is it difficult?
Original post by kaypd
How is the course so far? Is it difficult?

It got too hard for me - I am just not a science/math person and I have realised my true potential which is in another area. I have left the course and I am taking a gap year at the moment to gain some work experience and actually just get my head around what I want. I know what course I am going to do next year - it's a shame they didn't have space this year otherwise I would have transferred now.

Advice - make sure you know the course structure and content before applying to Computer Science. I thought I knew what it entailed but obviously I didn't - I am a more creative person. Also if you are going to do this course, take advantage of the teachers and read over the worksheets and lectures BEFORE the lessons starts so you know what you're gonna be learning about. Just make sure you're doing this degree because you like it - I know they say that you will never get to do what you love but at university, you should definitely. That's 3 years dedicated to a degree you HAVE to do well at. So make the right choice. If you have made a mistake then it's never too late to drop out and change. Try but you can drop out. It doesn't make you a failure. I should know.

Good luck!
Original post by EXOMENDES 101

I'm sorry for the late reply, but are you saying that you got an unconditional offer for computer science at kcl with ABB? I'm deciding on whether or not to apply there with my A*BB predictions as it doesn't match what they want D:
Original post by 0xFFFFail
I'm sorry for the late reply, but are you saying that you got an unconditional offer for computer science at kcl with ABB? I'm deciding on whether or not to apply there with my A*BB predictions as it doesn't match what they want D:

Yes - on the 18th August. Just apply - or ring up the department if you have any issues. I applied with ABB from my AS levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending