The Student Room Group
University of York
York

I'm doubting my university choices, please help me

Hi,
I sent off my ucas application a couple of days ago because I'm applying for Cambridge natural sciences, and the other unis that I've applied for are Durham, ucl, York and nottingham. Since sending off my application I've done more research into them and found that York has really bad graduate employment prospects and I dont want to sound arrogant but I feel like I can do better than york.
My GCSE results are 10 A*s, an A and a B and my AS results are 4 As. I've got 3 A*s predicted for next year.
York have already invited me to interview and told me that I'm guaranteed an offer but I'm getting really stressed and unhappy about the prospect of ending up there. Ive looked online and apparently I can change university choices up to 14 days after my application is sent off and I'm seriously considering changing york or maybe even Nottingham for somewhere like bath or Edinburgh (I really really like it in Edinburgh but the courses are a year longer and it's really far from home).
Please help me I'm so unsure what to do, I can't stop thinking about it and it's making me really really stressed and unhappy.
Original post by shredder457
Hi,
I sent off my ucas application a couple of days ago because I'm applying for Cambridge natural sciences, and the other unis that I've applied for are Durham, ucl, York and nottingham. Since sending off my application I've done more research into them and found that York has really bad graduate employment prospects and I dont want to sound arrogant but I feel like I can do better than york.
My GCSE results are 10 A*s, an A and a B and my AS results are 4 As. I've got 3 A*s predicted for next year.
York have already invited me to interview and told me that I'm guaranteed an offer but I'm getting really stressed and unhappy about the prospect of ending up there. Ive looked online and apparently I can change university choices up to 14 days after my application is sent off and I'm seriously considering changing york or maybe even Nottingham for somewhere like bath or Edinburgh (I really really like it in Edinburgh but the courses are a year longer and it's really far from home).
Please help me I'm so unsure what to do, I can't stop thinking about it and it's making me really really stressed and unhappy.

nah I 100% understand how you feel, I switched out 2 of my choices after applying. There is no point wasting a slot in your UCAS if you really don't want to go, and sort of hedging your bets that you wont have to. Just switch the choice if you feel the uni is better, i'm pretty sure your grades won't limit you considering they are mostly A*s.

Trust your gut and just switch if you want to, no point staying miserable and wasting a UCAS option
University of York
York
They are all top quality universities (especially Cambridge of course!).

If you're that good, you should get offers from all of them, then you can leave out York as a firm or insurance choice. Edinburgh and Bath are very good too though.

Do the courses you have applied to have a good range of entry requirements in case you miss a few grades?*
Hi,

Why don't you switch it out for Edinburgh or Bath then?
Reply 4
Original post by chazwomaq
They are all top quality universities (especially Cambridge of course!).

If you're that good, you should get offers from all of them, then you can leave out York as a firm or insurance choice. Edinburgh and Bath are very good too though.

Do the courses you have applied to have a good range of entry requirements in case you miss a few grades?*

Cambridge is A*A*A
Durham and York are A*AA
UCL is AAA
Nottingham is AAB

This makes also makes me think that maybe switching york is the right thing to do, I mean it won't be any use as an insurance offer really :/

Thanks for your comments though they're really speedy and I really appreciate the opinions :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know anything about the universities but you don't seem to like york so why don't you switch it to a university you would like to go to?
Reply 6
Original post by iman305
nah I 100% understand how you feel, I switched out 2 of my choices after applying. There is no point wasting a slot in your UCAS if you really don't want to go, and sort of hedging your bets that you wont have to. Just switch the choice if you feel the uni is better, i'm pretty sure your grades won't limit you considering they are mostly A*s.

Trust your gut and just switch if you want to, no point staying miserable and wasting a UCAS option

That's true it's good to know someone else has experienced how I feel now. Which universities did you apply for?
That's true it's good to know someone else has experienced how I feel now. Which universities did you apply for?

I applied originally for Oxford, Edinburgh , Exeter, Queen Mary and Bristol

I switched out Edinburgh for Durham as I realized the LLB over there qualifies you in Scottish law lol, and I switched Queen Mary for Kings, for the same reason you think you want to switch York out, I could probably do better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I switched two of my choices just recently (one was switched yesterday morning). I applied for medicine at Kings on the 13th along with Newcastle, St Georges, Southampton and Bradford for clinical science. Then called this number 03714680468 to change Newcastle to Kings for biomedical science on the 14th. Then just yesterday at 10am I called again to change Southampton to Queen Marys (also for biomedical science). I'm less worried and more assured with my choices now. The call lasted for like 3mins and I needed to have my Personal ID, know some security answers and the institution code of the uni I want to change to. And the change happens immediately. Thats about it really. Hope that helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending