The Student Room Group

Rayquaza17's Life after Uni Blog

Ok so I haven't actually graduated yet, but I finish in less than two months time and I have already started to organise my life after uni! I sometimes post about my life in the uni study thread in university life, but I'll need somewhere new for when I graduate.

I dunno if people actually care about this, but I thought it might be interesting for some people to hear about what happens after you finish uni and in the run-up to that.

First of all, a little about me:
I'm a 21 year old female currently studying mathematics at Newcastle, and I'm a local student. I live by myself, but it's not close to uni so I have to commute in. (It's a very long bus journey as well, even though it's less than 20 miles away.) I don't drive (failed my test last Wednesday lol), but I do have a car ready for when I do pass. I have a part time job that I've had for 5 years. I'm also in a long distance relationship with someone who lives in the South East of England who I met through our shared love of video games.

So how is uni going at the moment?
I used to be very passionate about mathematics and I wanted to do a PhD, but my love for maths has gone away during third year. :frown: I was close to dropping out a couple of months ago, but I decided to carry on. I am on target to graduate with a first or a 2:1, but this is mostly due to my hard work in second year rather than now.

My exams start on the 23rd of May, and my graduation is the 19th of July.

What are my current plans for the future?
I never had a gap year before starting uni, and I feel very tired of education. I want to have sort of a gap year when I graduate, but working more hours at my part time job to keep myself going. I then hope to apply for teacher training starting September/October 2017. Although I am not really enjoying maths at the moment, I do enjoy helping people with maths problems when I can.

Ok that's all for now. I'll probably post again in a couple of weeks, unless something exciting happens before then haha. Or if someone has a question or something, then I'll be happy to answer.

Scroll to see replies

Subbing!

I'm interested to see what people do after they graduate. :h:
Watching!
In to watch :h:
Reply 4
Update:

My first exam (PDEs) is tomorrow! I feel semi-confident for it, a lot more confident than I feel for the next exam after it! I need to sprint out of the exam tomorrow and go straight to the train station, which is at the opposite end of Newcastle. I'm going to see my boyfriend and we are going to my first ever music festival at the weekend, so I'm a bit nervous about that haha.

I'm quite busy with my revision, so it hasn't quite set in yet that uni is nearly over for me. I do find it strange that I won't have any more lectures now and I probably won't be taught any new mathematics from now on! (Although I could still read up on things myself, I won't have someone standing at the front of a lecture theatre telling me stuff.)

Well, back to revision...
Reply 5
Update:

Exams are over, and so is my degree! I can't believe I've finished my education now! (Well except for teacher training, but thats not set in stone.)

This last year at uni has been really tough for me. The course content was definitely a step up, and I struggled a bit with my mental health this year which didn't help at all. But I've made it through!

Results come out in around 3-4 weeks. I'm expecting a 2:1, but I might be close to the first boundary so I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I also need to order my gown for graduation next week.
Reply 6
Hey, been a long time since I posted in here! I finally feel like it's time to update this.

First of all, I managed to graduate with a 1st! I said in my previous post I thought it would be pretty close, and I was right - I got 70.4%. I'm glad I put in so much effort in second year because that really saved my grade.

Graduation was great, even if it was on the hottest day of the year!

Since then, I really haven't been up to much! I work a couple of days a week at my part time job, and the rest of the time tbh I'm playing video games. But this is my gap year and I want to have the year off education and full time work to relax and recover from all those years of hard studying!

I am 90% sure I am applying for teacher training. Since maths is an in-demand subject, I have a personal adviser, a teacher with years of experience, who I will speak to next week to help guide me through the process. I am also going to a local-ish high school on Thursday to do some observations. I have struggled a bit trying to get some experience as people keep ignoring my emails and not following up on my phone calls. So if anyone is interested in teaching, I would recommend the Schools Education Programme as it does help you get a few days in schools.

I am hoping to do teacher training at Newcastle University, hopefully I get to do the PGCE. I think that is better suited to me than schools direct as PGCE means I get experience in two different schools and would spend more time with peers on the course. Since I haven't got any relevant experience at all tbh, I think schools direct would be a bit too much 'in the deep end' for me. :redface:

I was considering doing teacher training where my boyfriend lives (West Sussex), but we both decided it would be better for us financially if he moves up here and live with me. He was supposed to move up in January when he finished his job, but it's looking more like February/March time. :frown:

I'll update in a few weeks time when I properly start writing my application.
Original post by rayquaza17
Hey, been a long time since I posted in here! I finally feel like it's time to update this.

First of all, I managed to graduate with a 1st! I said in my previous post I thought it would be pretty close, and I was right - I got 70.4%. I'm glad I put in so much effort in second year because that really saved my grade.

Graduation was great, even if it was on the hottest day of the year!

Since then, I really haven't been up to much! I work a couple of days a week at my part time job, and the rest of the time tbh I'm playing video games. But this is my gap year and I want to have the year off education and full time work to relax and recover from all those years of hard studying!

I am 90% sure I am applying for teacher training. Since maths is an in-demand subject, I have a personal adviser, a teacher with years of experience, who I will speak to next week to help guide me through the process. I am also going to a local-ish high school on Thursday to do some observations. I have struggled a bit trying to get some experience as people keep ignoring my emails and not following up on my phone calls. So if anyone is interested in teaching, I would recommend the Schools Education Programme as it does help you get a few days in schools.

I am hoping to do teacher training at Newcastle University, hopefully I get to do the PGCE. I think that is better suited to me than schools direct as PGCE means I get experience in two different schools and would spend more time with peers on the course. Since I haven't got any relevant experience at all tbh, I think schools direct would be a bit too much 'in the deep end' for me. :redface:

I was considering doing teacher training where my boyfriend lives (West Sussex), but we both decided it would be better for us financially if he moves up here and live with me. He was supposed to move up in January when he finished his job, but it's looking more like February/March time. :frown:

I'll update in a few weeks time when I properly start writing my application.

Wow! This is actually interesting! What put you off in university to not go for a PhD in Mathematics?
Reply 8
Original post by SM6
Wow! This is actually interesting! What put you off in university to not go for a PhD in Mathematics?

Thank you. :smile:

I was really keen to do one in second year and I organised to do a research project with one of my lecturers over the summer (between 2nd and 3rd years) just to get me some experience in research. I didn't enjoy it at all and I found it to be really difficulty, and it totally wrecked my confidence and interest in doing harder maths. This really showed in my third year because my averages dropped quite a lot compared to second year.
Thank you. :smile:

I was really keen to do one in second year and I organised to do a research project with one of my lecturers over the summer (between 2nd and 3rd years) just to get me some experience in research. I didn't enjoy it at all and I found it to be really difficulty, and it totally wrecked my confidence and interest in doing harder maths. This really showed in my third year because my averages dropped quite a lot compared to second year.

Ohh ok. Would you consider to do a MMath? You ended up with a first class which was much better than you thought.
Original post by SM6
Ohh ok. Would you consider to do a MMath? You ended up with a first class which was much better than you thought.

I was originally on the MMath course but I decided to switch to the BSc and graduate a year earlier than planned. My reason was that if I graduated in third year, then my second year average would pull me up (as second year = 1/3 and third = 2/3). However doing a MMath would mean that second year only counts for 1/6, third = 2/6 and fourth = 3/6 so I would probably not graduate with a first class. I thought it would be better to graduate with a first with BSc than a 2:1 with MMath.

I can't do a MMath now as that is an undergraduate masters and I have now got an undergraduate degree. I do always have the option to go back to university and get a masters though, but I can't see that happening any time soon if at all.
I was originally on the MMath course but I decided to switch to the BSc and graduate a year earlier than planned. My reason was that if I graduated in third year, then my second year average would pull me up (as second year = 1/3 and third = 2/3). However doing a MMath would mean that second year only counts for 1/6, third = 2/6 and fourth = 3/6 so I would probably not graduate with a first class. I thought it would be better to graduate with a first with BSc than a 2:1 with MMath.

I can't do a MMath now as that is an undergraduate masters and I have now got an undergraduate degree. I do always have the option to go back to university and get a masters though, but I can't see that happening any time soon if at all.

Wait wait. I thought after a BSc you can do a MMath? I thought you could do a Masters after Bachelor's?
Original post by SM6
Wait wait. I thought after a BSc you can do a MMath? I thought you could do a Masters after Bachelor's?

Yes you can do a Masters after a Bachelors, but a masters is a postgrad degree. A MMath is an integrated masters. So people with an MMath will just have that qualification, but people with a masters will have a BSc and a Masters qualification.

It's quite confusing!
Yes you can do a Masters after a Bachelors, but a masters is a postgrad degree. A MMath is an integrated masters. So people with an MMath will just have that qualification, but people with a masters will have a BSc and a Masters qualification.

It's quite confusing!

Ohh thanks for clarifying! Did you have to complete STEP?
Original post by SM6
Ohh thanks for clarifying! Did you have to complete STEP?

No, I only applied to Newcastle university and they don't require it.
No, I only applied to Newcastle university and they don't require it.

Ohh. If you don't mind me asking where else did you apply? At GCSE level in really excited to do A-Level Maths next year and FM.
Original post by SM6
Ohh. If you don't mind me asking where else did you apply? At GCSE level in really excited to do A-Level Maths next year and FM.

Literally just Newcastle. I didn't want to move far from home, and the only other localish uni is Durham but that would have been too far to travel to. I remember many years ago when I was doing my GCSEs I spent ages looking through the A Level Maths and FM past papers because I was excited about doing them, but I didn't have any clue about any of the questions haha.
Literally just Newcastle. I didn't want to move far from home, and the only other localish uni is Durham but that would have been too far to travel to. I remember many years ago when I was doing my GCSEs I spent ages looking through the A Level Maths and FM past papers because I was excited about doing them, but I didn't have any clue about any of the questions haha.

Haha oh my god that's what I do!
Original post by SM6
Haha oh my god that's what I do!

Haha I still did it at uni level, and it got to the stage where I didn't even recognise the symbols or notation. :shock:

Btw I've just recognised your avatar is the guy from Prison Break. I'm currently watching that at the moment, I'm on the last series. It's not as good as the first. :frown:
Haha I still did it at uni level, and it got to the stage where I didn't even recognise the symbols or notation. :shock:

Btw I've just recognised your avatar is the guy from Prison Break. I'm currently watching that at the moment, I'm on the last series. It's not as good as the first. :frown:

I get what you mean A-Level questions seem really hard and make me clueless. Yeah Michael Scofield I agree with you the last one seemed a bit dull because of the storyline. I can't wait for the new series coming out next year!

Quick Reply

Latest