The Student Room Group

The journey to a 4 plate deadlift

Some stats first of all:

I weigh 161 pounds
My current 1RM deadlift is 150kg. I want to get to 180kg.

What is the best programme for me to achieve this aim? And how much time would it take assuming perfect diet and rest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you deadlift once a week, squat twice a week or so, and do other back stuff such as chins/rows, added to your assumption of a perfect diet, you could pull 180 within a couple of months tbh.
Original post by James.Carnell
Some stats first of all:

I weigh 161 pounds
My current 1RM deadlift is 150kg. I want to get to 180kg.

What is the best programme for me to achieve this aim? And how much time would it take assuming perfect diet and rest?

What's your current programme? You don't need anything special to get a four plate pull, although 160 lbs is a bit on the light side unless you're rather short.
Original post by Smack
What's your current programme? You don't need anything special to get a four plate pull, although 160 lbs is a bit on the light side unless you're rather short.

I am 5ft10. I am on a bodybuilding split at the moment.

Chest : Mon
Back: Tues
Rest: Wed
Shoulders: Thurs
Legs: Fri
Rest: Sat
Rest: Sun

I am pretty lean but I want to add more mass to my frame. I took many months cutting fat as I was a fatty.
Hi there! I've used a few different strength building programme but Wendler's 531 was by far my favourite. You take your current 1RM's, and work out 90%. That's your new '1RM' that you calculate your lifts from. So for example, it says that Week 1, Set 1 is 65% x 5. If my actual 1RM was 100kg, I work out 90% of that (90kg), then work out 65% of my 90% figure - 58.5kg. You do that for your first set, 5 reps. The next set is 75% for 5, then 85% for AMRAP (as many reps as possible).

And that's all you do. For the first few weeks you may feel as though you're not lifting as much, but stick to the programme and TRUST me, it pays off. After a few cycles does get pretty difficult but perfectly doable. My deadlift went from 90kg max to 120kg after a few cycles (I'm a 50kg girl). Currently dieting but I'm jumping back on as soon as I'm shredded!

You test your 1RM on the 3rd week, then the 4th week is a deload week. After the 4th week, you add 2.5kg onto your 90% figure and recalculate. I find it easier to calculate all the weights for the next few months in advance so you're not in the gym trying to calculate stuff on your phone!

After you do your 531 sets, you do other exercises, 8-12 reps for hypertrophy. My training split was chest (Bench), back (Deads), shoulders (OHP), legs (squats) and then arms the next day. I did that order purely because I like to split chest & shoulders due to a rotator cuff injury, and I split legs and back for obvious reasons (don't want a sore lower back for squats, don't want sore legs for deadlifts).

Read this article for more info on it. https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength - It's a brilliant programme for beginners and advanced lifters.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cassiejoevans
Hi there! I've used a few different strength building programme but Wendler's 531 was by far my favourite. You take your current 1RM's, and work out 90%. That's your new '1RM' that you calculate your lifts from. So for example, it says that Week 1, Set 1 is 65% x 5. If my actual 1RM was 100kg, I work out 90% of that (90kg), then work out 65% of my 90% figure - 58.5kg. You do that for your first set, 5 reps. The next set is 75% for 5, then 85% for AMRAP (as many reps as possible).

And that's all you do. For the first few weeks you may feel as though you're not lifting as much, but stick to the programme and TRUST me, it pays off. After a few cycles does get pretty difficult but perfectly doable. My deadlift went from 90kg max to 120kg after a few cycles (I'm a 50kg girl). Currently dieting but I'm jumping back on as soon as I'm shredded!

You test your 1RM on the 3rd week, then the 4th week is a deload week. After the 4th week, you add 2.5kg onto your 90% figure and recalculate. I find it easier to calculate all the weights for the next few months in advance so you're not in the gym trying to calculate stuff on your phone!

After you do your 531 sets, you do other exercises, 8-12 reps for hypertrophy. My training split was chest (Bench), back (Deads), shoulders (OHP), legs (squats) and then arms the next day. I did that order purely because I like to split chest & shoulders due to a rotator cuff injury, and I split legs and back for obvious reasons (don't want a sore lower back for squats, don't want sore legs for deadlifts).

Read this article for more info on it. https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength - It's a brilliant programme for beginners and advanced lifters.

Impressive :smile: How long have you been lifting for?
Original post by WoodyMKC
Impressive :smile: How long have you been lifting for?

Thanks :biggrin: a few years now, seriously for about 2! Been through it all - skinny fat, then did a huge dirty bulk and had a boyfriend so got pretty fat but with decent muscle base, then left the boyfriend & started cutting. 2 stone down now and I'm looking fairly shredded :redface: Can't wait to get back to lifting super heavy. What about you?
Thanks :biggrin: a few years now, seriously for about 2! Been through it all - skinny fat, then did a huge dirty bulk and had a boyfriend so got pretty fat but with decent muscle base, then left the boyfriend & started cutting. 2 stone down now and I'm looking fairly shredded :redface: Can't wait to get back to lifting super heavy. What about you?

Nice :smile: About 4 years on and off for me. The first couple years of training I was mega-consistent, did everything right, gained some fat but not a great deal and made some really good gains. Last couple years I've had some problems with chronic illness so I've not been at all consistent, last year I still made some good progress but this year in particular I've trained probably not much more than 10 times :rofl: Really surprised at how much muscle I've retained but it's probably due to eating in a surplus still as I've put on a little extra weight :rofl: Been getting back into the gym regularly for the past couple weeks so things are looking up, trying to get back to my biggest and then I'm gonna focus on getting lean again. I used to be 140lbs at 6'2'' when I started, currently about 240lbs :eek: Should be back down to about 190 when I'm lean.
[QUOTE=cassiejoevans;68030804]Thanks :biggrin: a few years now, seriously for about 2! Been through it all - skinny fat, then did a huge dirty bulk and had a boyfriend so got pretty fat but with decent muscle base, then left the boyfriend & started cutting. 2 stone down now and I'm looking fairly shredded :redface: Can't wait to get back to lifting super heavy. What about you?

You mentioned (in another thread) you are a bikini competitor... Correct me if i'm wrong.

I only know what that is due to occasionally watching Amanda Bucci's vids on Youtube.

What makes you want to lift? (I always wonder whether i'd lift if i was female... As much as i spout mental and health reasons, the physical gains are a major reason to lift)

How do people react to your gym consistency? Ie do they mention it is OTT and all that... (Who cares what others think but anyway)
Being 161lbs is your problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Being 161lbs is your problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like how I look, but I want a bit more strength and muscle to complete what I see as my ideal physique. I am not looking for a particularly bulky look. I want to be shredded as **** and look good for girls.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Nice :smile: About 4 years on and off for me. The first couple years of training I was mega-consistent, did everything right, gained some fat but not a great deal and made some really good gains. Last couple years I've had some problems with chronic illness so I've not been at all consistent, last year I still made some good progress but this year in particular I've trained probably not much more than 10 times :rofl: Really surprised at how much muscle I've retained but it's probably due to eating in a surplus still as I've put on a little extra weight :rofl: Been getting back into the gym regularly for the past couple weeks so things are looking up, trying to get back to my biggest and then I'm gonna focus on getting lean again. I used to be 140lbs at 6'2'' when I started, currently about 240lbs :eek: Should be back down to about 190 when I'm lean.
Aw good luck to you! Consistency is key!

Original post by Unistudent77
You mentioned (in another thread) you are a bikini competitor... Correct me if i'm wrong.

I only know what that is due to occasionally watching Amanda Bucci's vids on Youtube.

What makes you want to lift? (I always wonder whether i'd lift if i was female... As much as i spout mental and health reasons, the physical gains are a major reason to lift)

How do people react to your gym consistency? Ie do they mention it is OTT and all that... (Who cares what others think but anyway)
Aspiring yeah.. Dabbled in powerlifting training, trying to get a sick physique (think Jessica Arevalo-esque) before even competing. Why put your body through all that stress to not win? Pointless and very hard - especially for women! Um I think most people are used to it now. I go for boys who lift so it's always a plus for them. People always marvel at how 'dedicated' I am - especially drunk girls. Even though right this second I just smashed protein chocolate, a protein cookie and a protein flapjack - 500kcal over my daily goal, and am pretty drunk and vaping :redface:

tfw a 50kg girl pulls more than you. That reminds me of the time when I was swapping the leg press with this one chick at my gym and she was doing more weight than me, ah good times :biggrin:.
[QUOTE=James.Carnell;68041640]I like how I look, but I want a bit more strength and muscle to complete what I see as my ideal physique. I am not looking for a particularly bulky look. I want to be shredded as **** and look good for girls.

Your problem is being 161lbs as he said. Bulk up this winter and spring and you can be a similar weight this time next year but with more muscle and less fat.
'Bulky' will only happen if your shoulder width to hip width ratio is poor and/or you get well beyond 20% bf.

[QUOTE=cassiejoevans;68042786]
Aspiring yeah.. Dabbled in powerlifting training, trying to get a sick physique (think Jessica Arevalo-esque) before even competing. Why put your body through all that stress to not win? Pointless and very hard - especially for women! Um I think most people are used to it now. I go for boys who lift so it's always a plus for them. People always marvel at how 'dedicated' I am - especially drunk girls. Even though right this second I just smashed protein chocolate, a protein cookie and a protein flapjack - 500kcal over my daily goal, and am pretty drunk and vaping :redface:

Sounds good!
Yeah, you have to be ambitious.

I wouldn't say 'pointless', you've done it and it will give you a great physique but lifting is certainly more rewarding for men in terms of physical improvement.

People are weird and very annoying. They say they will do x, y and z but never do it. That annoys me.

Maybe i'm just competitive but i try pretty hard at whatever i do. Sometimes i lack the talent ie golf (handicap of 10-12 at my best, so mediocre af) but i was/will be again, in top 15/20 in Britain with my horses and i plan on making sure i nail my body.

Fair, a girl who lifts is goals but they are a rare breed. Don't like really emaciated/shredded girls (ideally).

Vaping..... Very very cool
M8 :wink:

I did stalk your recent posts however and saw you mention listening to techno and going to raves and that so that very much mitigates against the 'vaping' :tongue:
I've seen Gary Beck, Denis Sulta etc.
Who you seeing?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gatewaymerge
tfw a 50kg girl pulls more than you. That reminds me of the time when I was swapping the leg press with this one chick at my gym and she was doing more weight than me, ah good times :biggrin:.

People always underestimate me in the gym cos I'm only just under 5ft1 and then I lift and they're like ohhhhhhhhhh damn :o:D

Sounds good!
Yeah, you have to be ambitious.

I wouldn't say 'pointless', you've done it and it will give you a great physique but lifting is certainly more rewarding for men in terms of physical improvement.

People are weird and very annoying. They say they will do x, y and z but never do it. That annoys me.

Maybe i'm just competitive but i try pretty hard at whatever i do. Sometimes i lack the talent ie golf (handicap of 10-12 at my best, so mediocre af) but i was/will be again, in top 15/20 in Britain with my horses and i plan on making sure i nail my body.

Fair, a girl who lifts is goals but they are a rare breed. Don't like really emaciated/shredded girls (ideally).

Vaping..... Very very cool
M8 :wink:

I did stalk your recent posts however and saw you mention listening to techno and going to raves and that so that very much mitigates against the 'vaping' :tongue:
I've seen Gary Beck, Denis Sulta etc.
Who you seeing?

Nah I just meant I personally think it's pointless to restrict and starve your body and risk binging etc post-show when you're clearly not good enough to even place! If I'm gonna compete I wanna walk in and know that I'm gonna dominate. Yeah exactly, no point half-assing anything, go all out or don't bother :biggrin: Hey shut up vaping is my life :colondollar: Went to Motion in Bristol last New Years and oh my god it was ridiculous. To be honest I was so far gone the only person I remember was Hannah Wants because I came up when her set started at about 11:30pm and it was so euphoric :u: I went there again not too long ago to a local DJ Drum n Bass thing and that was pretty decent too, like DnB in the main room, house in another (although some tool tried to remix Renegade Master.. and it was awful.. why ruin such a classic!) and techno in the other. Was really enjoying the techno room but then the DJs switched and the new DJ put Avicii or someone on and totally killed the vibe. At the end of July, went to Delete in Cardiff which was a day rave in a car park (3pm-12am). I was expecting some huge underground car park but it was out on the terrace behind a pub. Had the neatest setup though, not too packed and a brilliant vibe. Girls coming up and telling you they love your outfit etc as per :tongue: Saw Matt Owen, Lee Graves, Marc Parsons, Owain Kimber, Midge and they were all class. Then Robert Hood came out and totally blew me away. His set was very similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CEo4XvM6Oc - let me know what you think, he's a minimal techno genius and that's by far my favourite mix, can't help grooving to it whenever I listen :dance: That was my first true experience of pure techno at a rave and I loved it, gave a totally different vibe and mood to house! Got tickets booked for Shangri-La in Cardiff for Halloween and Kolsch is gonna be there (listen to Grey - Kolsch). Cannot waaaaaaaaait, gonna be naughty :wink:
@Unistudent77 just put the Robert Hood mix on in the background while you're doing other stuff, it's a long one but sick all the way through. Hannah Wants mixtapes on Soundcloud have some great house tunes in them (I listen whilst doing cardio, cos its fairly repetitive you don't even remember doing the cardio :wink: ) .

Gonna have a look through my phone and list some tracks for you to check out below..
Chase & Status - anything basically, a lot of it is pretty DnBy but favourites include Pressure, Machine Gun, End Credits, Funny, More Ratatatin.
Loco Dice - Keep It Low, Get Comfy.
Tom Zanetti - Darlin', You Want Me.
Secondcity - I Enter.

Let me know what you think of 'em all, there's quite a mixture :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
People always underestimate me in the gym cos I'm only just under 5ft1 and then I lift and they're like ohhhhhhhhhh damn D

Nah I just meant I personally think it's pointless to restrict and starve your body and risk binging etc post-show when you're clearly not good enough to even place! If I'm gonna compete I wanna walk in and know that I'm gonna dominate. Yeah exactly, no point half-assing anything, go all out or don't bother Hey shut up vaping is my life Went to Motion in Bristol last New Years and oh my god it was ridiculous. To be honest I was so far gone the only person I remember was Hannah Wants because I came up when her set started at about 11:30pm and it was so euphoric I went there again not too long ago to a local DJ Drum n Bass thing and that was pretty decent too, like DnB in the main room, house in another (although some tool tried to remix Renegade Master.. and it was awful.. why ruin such a classic!) and techno in the other. Was really enjoying the techno room but then the DJs switched and the new DJ put Avicii or someone on and totally killed the vibe. At the end of July, went to Delete in Cardiff which was a day rave in a car park (3pm-12am). I was expecting some huge underground car park but it was out on the terrace behind a pub. Had the neatest setup though, not too packed and a brilliant vibe. Girls coming up and telling you they love your outfit etc as per Saw Matt Owen, Lee Graves, Marc Parsons, Owain Kimber, Midge and they were all class. Then Robert Hood came out and totally blew me away. His set was very similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CEo4XvM6Oc - let me know what you think, he's a minimal techno genius and that's by far my favourite mix, can't help grooving to it whenever I listen That was my first true experience of pure techno at a rave and I loved it, gave a totally different vibe and mood to house! Got tickets booked for Shangri-La in Cardiff for Halloween and Kolsch is gonna be there (listen to Grey - Kolsch). Cannot waaaaaaaaait, gonna be naughty

I can imagine!
 You'll feel tiny in the gym but outside of the gym you'll be like damn i look good hahaha.
 Ohhhh ok.

Got you now! 
Vaping man... Why? If you were vaping weed fair play but that stuff... Nah. Wouldn't put me off someone though, just not a huge fan.

Hahaha, you did say what i thought you said. It was something i wondered. (Refering to emmm 'supplements':wink:

I've heard a bit about motion, sounds decent. I like Hannah wants although she is critisised for being a ghost DJ, still the people's tracks she is playing are great.

Don't like Drum and bass.

RnB is good but not the same vibe.I do like normal music too, grime, mainstream rap, some chart music but i mainly play a mix of progressive/deep house and techno.
I went through a 'hardstyle' phase haha but i've moved on. Don't mind hardstyle in the gym though....

Oliver Heldens did a good re-mix of renegade master at the turn of last year.
Sounds quite 'underground' haha.
You just had to get that compliment about yourself in didn't you :wink:

I'll have a listen to that set and the other stuff you sent throughout today, will let you know what i think :smile:

Kolsch is good, i like 'der alte' and i have heard 'grey' not bad at all. It depends on the surroundings how good a night will be. Like, when we saw Denis Sulta 'pres' was amazing (i use that term in a different meaning). Like.... (How can i word this... Hmmm) My flatmates friends brought supplies and apparently people who aren't me said that they were very good :wink:

Subclub is great in Glasgow, i've been a couple times. Would love to go more often. There are techno nights quite frequently at a club in town so those are great.

Never been to an 'underground' rave before but i know people that hold 100 strong plus house parties with gigantic speakers and everyone is absolutely on it.

You have spotify? I'll PM you my name if you want and you can listen to my techno playlist on that. See what you think?

If we are talking sets then...Aggressive/intense techno -

https://soundcloud.com/soma/adam-beyer-the-slam-tent-t-in-the-park-2010-1

A beast from back in the day. 'What you need' by Adam Beyer is also great imo.

My kind of techno is more like stuff done by 'Jasper James' (more deep house feel).Such as this:

https://soundcloud.com/deep-house-amsterdam/jasper-james-dha-mixtape-178

Skip to 18 min for the next 10-15 mins that i really like. You'll see on my spotify his song beginning with 'Z'. More progressive house i like is the main man, Eric Prydz.

Listen to 'Everyday', 'Mirage', 1983, Last Dragon. He also goes by names such as ciren D.
All on my spotify. Lastly, (off top of my head) have a listen to 'Rock to the beat' by Kevin Saunderson.

@Unistudent77 just put the Robert Hood mix on in the background while you're doing other stuff, it's a long one but sick all the way through. Hannah Wants mixtapes on Soundcloud have some great house tunes in them (I listen whilst doing cardio, cos its fairly repetitive you don't even remember doing the cardio ) . 
Gonna have a look through my phone and list some tracks for you to check out below.. Chase & Status - anything basically, a lot of it is pretty DnBy but favourites include Pressure, Machine Gun, End Credits, Funny, More Ratatatin. Loco Dice - Keep It Low, Get Comfy. Tom Zanetti - Darlin', You Want Me. Secondcity - I Enter. 
Let me know what you think of 'em all, there's quite a mixture

I'll have a listen through the day. Got to get stuff done today before i go out tonight. Unfortunately not going to a techno event :frown:
Turned one down last night to go drink with the boys. First world problems man.... :wink:
We should continue this via PM and not derail the thread anymore haha
(edited 7 years ago)

I can imagine!
You'll feel tiny in the gym but outside of the gym you'll be like damn i look good hahaha.
Ohhhh ok. Got you now! 
Vaping man... Why? If you were vaping weed fair play but that stuff... Nah.Wouldn't put me off someone though, just not a huge fan.
Hahaha, you did say what i thought you said. It was something i wondered. (Refering to emmm 'supplements':wink: 
I've heard a bit about motion, sounds decent. I like Hannah wants although she is critisised for being a ghost DJ, still the people's tracks she is playing are great.Don't like Drum and bass. RnB is good but not the same vibe.I do like normal music too, grime, mainstream rap, some chart music but i mainly play a mix of progressive/deep house and techno.I went through a 'hardstyle' phase haha but i've moved on. Don't mind hardstyle in the gym though....Oliver Heldens did a good re-mix of renegade master at the turn of last year.Sounds quite 'underground' haha. You just had to get that compliment about yourself in didn't you :wink:I'll have a listen to that set and the other stuff you sent throughout today, will let you know what i think :smile:Kolsch is good, i like 'der alte' and i have heard 'grey' not bad at all.It depends on the surroundings how good a night will be.Like, when we saw Denis Sulta 'pres' was amazing (i use that term in a different meaning). Like.... (How can i word this... Hmmm) My flatmates friends brought supplies and apparently people who aren't me said that they were very good :wink:Subclub is great in Glasgow, i've been a couple times. Would love to go more often. There are techno nights quite frequently at a club in town so those are great. Never been to an 'underground' rave before but i know people that hold 100 strong plus house parties with gigantic speakers and everyone is absolutely on it. You have spotify? I'll PM you my name if you want and you can listen to my techno playlist on that. See what you think?If we are talking sets then...Aggressive/intense techno - https://soundcloud.com/soma/adam-beyer-the-slam-tent-t-in-the-park-2010-1A beast from back in the day. 'What you need' by Adam Beyer is also great imo.My kind of techno is more like stuff done by 'Jasper James' (more deep house feel).Such as this:https://soundcloud.com/deep-house-amsterdam/jasper-james-dha-mixtape-178Skip to 18 min for the next 10-15 mins that i really like.You'll see on my spotify his song beginning with 'Z'. More progressive house i like is the main man, Eric Prydz.Listen to 'Everyday', 'Mirage', 1983, Last Dragon. He also goes by names such as ciren D.All on my spotify.Lastly, (off top of my head) have a listen to 'Rock to the beat' by Kevin Saunderson. 
I'll have a listen through the day. Got to get stuff done today before i go out tonight. Unfortunately not going to a techno event :frown:Turned one down last night to go drink with the boys. First world problems man.... :wink:We should continue this via PM and not derail the thread anymore haha

True hahaha, will reply to this via PM after my sesh.. no unfortunately not that kind.. a leg sesh :tongue:
[QUOTE=cassiejoevans;68045398]True hahaha, will reply to this via PM after my sesh.. no unfortunately not that kind.. a leg sesh :tongue:

You replied too fast!

I have fixed all the spacing, working on the links now....

And cool. Have fun. Better go to f***ing parallel. Lol jk, i'm very poor at squatting.
Original post by db10
If you deadlift once a week, squat twice a week or so, and do other back stuff such as chins/rows, added to your assumption of a perfect diet, you could pull 180 within a couple of months tbh.

Basically this.

Quick Reply

Latest