The Student Room Group

How to best prepare for STEP?

Hi. I'm in year 13 and am applying for universities that will require STEP. Currently I'm struggling to answer the questions. Should I be badly concerned that at this moment I'm struggling? If anyone has had experience with STEP, it would be great if you could share your experiences as well as how and when you prepared. Thanks.
Original post by rfox1
Hi. I'm in year 13 and am applying for universities that will require STEP. Currently I'm struggling to answer the questions. Should I be badly concerned that at this moment I'm struggling? If anyone has had experience with STEP, it would be great if you could share your experiences as well as how and when you prepared. Thanks.

The intro post here is quite detailed
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4136101
Original post by 123Master321

It's hard. Not everyone can or wants to make that leap.
Look up Alice Auld. She tutors it. But you have to really want to do it at the exclusion of all else.
Original post by Theplace
It's hard. Not everyone can or wants to make that leap.
Look up Alice Auld. She tutors it. But you have to really want to do it at the exclusion of all else.

Not quite true, someone last year who did STEP had full UMS in double maths and chemistry and got an A* at physics. It really doesn't need to be at the expense of your other subjects, just depends on how hard you want to work.
Not quite true, someone last year who did STEP had full UMS in double maths and chemistry and got an A* at physics. It really doesn't need to be at the expense of your other subjects, just depends on how hard you want to work.

What is double maths?
It has nothing to do with hard work at first It has to be explained well. You also have to cover the maths syllabus first to do it.
(edited 7 years ago)
What is double maths?
It has notjjmg to do with hard work at first It has to be explained well. You also have to cover the maths syllabus first to do it.

I am well aware what you need to know to do STEP. Double maths is just me saying A-level Mathematics and Further Mathematics. I honestly have no idea what you mean by 'explained well' are you talking about STEP here?
I am well aware what you need to know to do STEP. Double maths is just me saying A-level Mathematics and Further Mathematics. I honestly have no idea what you mean by 'explained well' are you talking about STEP here?

Of course you don't know what explained well means.
Everything needs explaining. No one is born with this knowledge.
How is Cambridge?
Reply 7
Original post by rfox1

This is the current "STEP prep thread" (2017) and is recommended reading for any potential STEPpers...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4275906
Of course you don't know what explained well means.
Everything needs explaining. No one is born with this knowledge.
How is Cambridge?

Ah I see, but the thing is a topic can be explained well, but you still need to practise to apply it in ingenious circumstances and the more practice you do, the more proficient you become.
Ah I see, but the thing is a topic can be explained well, but you still need to practise to apply it in ingenious circumstances and the more practice you do, the more proficient you become.

Yup... so it has to be explained first..then you go off and do the papers.
What is double maths?
It has nothing to do with hard work at first It has to be explained well. You also have to cover the maths syllabus first to do it.

wow my bad, I skim read this and forgot the AT FIRST bit. sorry for the confusion
wow my bad, I skim read this and forgot the AT FIRST bit. sorry for the confusion

Try AEA and MAT first
Reply 12
Original post by rfox1

You've barely just started (most candidates start STEP prep around Jan/Feb after they feel confident with the A-level stuff). It takes awhile to get used to the questions and thinking process. Keep doing questions, and make sure you go through Siklos booklet first and try to answer the questions there (without looking at the solution first).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest