The Student Room Group

LNAT Preparation & Books – Entry 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cicilaw
Also, sounds stupid, but is there any spell check at all on the real exam? I don't want to do the online ones until closer to October so I don't waste them..

No, it's not a stupid question at all. I took my LNAT's yesterday and there is no spell check for the essay question.
Reply 21
Original post by AzaSad
thanks for all the useful info!

I was wondering how the LNAT is marked, as I'm doing past papers as prep and want to track my progress. The MC is out of 42 but how would you mark an essay and get a score for the entire test.

The multiple choice makes up your entire grade and the essay isn't counted at all. It's the university that read your essay. For example, you might have the same grades and LNAT score as someone else, so they would use your essay to see who to give a place.
Reply 22
Original post by buksie
No, it's not a stupid question at all. I took my LNAT's yesterday and there is no spell check for the essay question.

I also have taken LNAT yesterday and i was wondering how did yours go? Although i was doing around 28-30 in mock exams, during the actual exam I thought the texts were very long and questions were way too detailed in comparison to the tests on the LNAT website. On top of that, i had to deal with the calculation of how much time per text left -_- it added up to my already severe stress... Essay part was certainly okay tho having finished the first part on time. It was not as how I expected and that really annoys me now...
Reply 23
Original post by santtu
I also have taken LNAT yesterday and i was wondering how did yours go? Although i was doing around 28-30 in mock exams, during the actual exam I thought the texts were very long and questions were way too detailed in comparison to the tests on the LNAT website. On top of that, i had to deal with the calculation of how much time per text left -_- it added up to my already severe stress... Essay part was certainly okay tho having finished the first part on time. It was not as how I expected and that really annoys me now...

I definitely agree that the actual exam was a bit more challenging than in practice, the essay section was so much better in comparison. To be honest, I got to a point where I was simply guessing for the multiple choice. I didn't really calculate the timing throughout, I just flagged anything I didn't get straight off the bat, then went back and calculated the timing for the questions that I had left. I found that that was the most efficient way for me. My first reaction after taking it was super dramatic, thinking I probably did badly but looking back it was actually okay.

Good luck with your results and university offers.
How have people, who have already sat the LNAT, found this year's exam? Was it harder than the practice papers and the Shepherd book?
Reply 25
Original post by academia153
How have people, who have already sat the LNAT, found this year's exam? Was it harder than the practice papers and the Shepherd book?

To me personally, the actual exam was harder. But also, the luck I guess since everyone gets different questions (I believe).
Could someone please share the essay questions that were asked in the LNAT for 2017 entry?
My LNAT is on the 25th of november and prepping for it is just stressing me out so i might just wing it idk.
What's the essay part like though?

I need it for Glasgow and UCL.
ik UCL want 22 for an offer, does anyone know about Glasgow?
Original post by RueXO
ik UCL want 22 for an offer

Although they did say on the website that most successful applicants have at least 22 in the LNAT, somewhere else they said that 27 is what they consider 'competitive'.
Original post by LNATLNATLNAT
Could someone please share the essay questions that were asked in the LNAT for 2017 entry?

No way bro, we have to sign non-disclaimers.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
No way bro, we have to sign non-disclaimers.

Were they hard 😬 How did you find the paper this year?
Original post by RueXO

My LNAT MCQs combination was quite a bit harder than the practice papers but I might have just been unlucky. I did just get an offer from Nottingham though so it might have gone better than I thought
Original post by caitlindunn
My LNAT MCQs combination was quite a bit harder than the practice papers but I might have just been unlucky. I did just get an offer from Nottingham though so it might have gone better than I thought

How much prep did you do
Original post by RueXO
How much prep did you do

I did all the past papers in Shepherds book and both past papers from the website.
For the essay I just read the times and the guardian daily, but I'd been doing that for years anyway. My MCQ result stayed the same throughout (hovering above and below 36) so the practice was more useful to get accustomed to the layout than actual improvement.
If i score lower on my LNAT, will it matter much to UCL and KCL since i'm predicted 3 A*s, got 4 As at AS and 8 A*s 3 As at GCSE?
Original post by qwerty505
If i score lower on my LNAT, will it matter much to UCL and KCL since i'm predicted 3 A*s, got 4 As at AS and 8 A*s 3 As at GCSE?

The LNAT is definetly an important part of how they choose, if you get a really low score it demonstrates that maybe you're not right for law. If your score is just a bit lower than the average you may well still get in though, since other factors are taken into account.

I'm taking mine in towards the start of December. I'm not going to be prepping too much, plan to do a max of 3 past papers before hand. Those who have taken the exam, is it possible to do the essay first or does the MCQ section have to be done.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Michael_Fishy
Those who have taken the exam, is it possible to do the essay first or does the MCQ section have to be done.

The MCQs have to be done first
Original post by LNATLNATLNAT

I sat it this year near the end of last month. If it's any consolation I thought the MCQs were way more straightforward than the practices.
The essay questions obviously I can't tell you, but I'd advise that you brush up on current legal issues.

In the past they've used things like euthanasia and abortion, so that should give you a clue as to what their style is. Have a read around on human rights and ethics and things. They're popular in practice tests, and those are based on the real exam, so follow their lead.
Original post by RueXO

I know this wasn't directed at me, but oh well, I may as well give my 2 cents for anyone's who cares for them. I sat my LNAT a few weeks ago. I thought the actual exam was much easier than the practice tests, or at least on par with. The essay was a doddle because it was on something I'm very familiar with. I found the time was more than ample to get everything done.

As far as prep goes, I did the 2 sample papers several times over. I would leave some time between repeats to ensure I'd forgotten the answers.
On the first paper I got scores of 26 and 30. On the second, I got scores of 17,17, and then 35.

The week before my test, I borrowed an old mark shepherd book from 2005 from my local university's library. It was the old version of the LNAT, so I'm unsure what those scores equate to but I remember one result was good and the other was average on 2 different tests.

Of course, I don't know my result yet, but I felt fantastic coming out of the test centre, stuck to all the time limits and didn't struggle with any of the questions in particular. I also received an early AAA offer from Nottingham a few days later, which considering its below their usual A*AA requirement, I took as a good sign. I also applied to Durham, but I already had an ABB offer from them, it was just confirmed on track shortly after I'd taken the LNAT.

Good luck to anyone who hasn't taken it yet, and for those who have, I hope it went well and you get plenty of offers!
Original post by clara_mcneill99
I know some people who have already done the LNAT this term, so I don't see why everyone shouldn't be able to benefit from the essays
The topics I know of are: religious freedom, compulsory education to age 18, children's medical rights and the police having DNA information

Best of luck everyone, my LNAT is in 2 hours and I'm bricking it...

Are there not a variety of questions used that are, somewhat, random? If so, these topics surely will not be applicable to everyone sitting the LNAT?

Quick Reply