The Student Room Group

Is it weird that I can feel no enthusiasm for North American travel?

On the face of it, look what they have to offer. But I can't feel anything for it. Maybe it's because I'm so familiar, through media, maybe 'cos they have the same language and a familiar culture, maybe because they seem fake and like they would just give you the niceties but not really be interested in you. It just seems soulless.

I'm quite intrigued by the weirdness of LA, and what I've seen from films, and music, of California, but I imagine it is really fake. It also seems quite desolate and impossible without a car.

New york is obviously impressive but I don't know where I'd stay cheaply and it just seems like it'd be like London but with less soul and a bad climate, plus crime.

I don't want to go to the midwest etc, and places where they seem quite serious.

Then there's the South which seems too hot and full of nuts.

I quite like the look of Montreal and then they have stuff to do and the French culture, so that might be interesting.

I have to try to be enthused, where I feel a real fascination with India, and even Barcelona that I haven't seen yet.

I guess it's the same with Australia though, what with English and all, although I feel I'd have more in common with Aussies, whilst they are different.
Does seem weird yeah :p: Its so varied in scenery I'd love to drive around or perhaps do one of the trans-continental trails there. Canada has amazing scenery. Completely different to anywhere else except perhaps Siberia.

You say you want people to be friendly then name probably the two least friendly places in America as the places you'd like to visit (NY and LA). My experience of the South and northern Canada was that people were extremely friendly, especially if you're English (and being white helps in the South too). Way more so than England anyway.

You say you're scared of crime and people not being interested in you, but you want to go to India? That'll be 100x worse, at least in the tourist zones. Plus much hotter than the Southern US, and AC will be much harder to come by.
Original post by nexttime
Does seem weird yeah :p: Its so varied in scenery I'd love to drive around or perhaps do one of the trans-continental trails there. Canada has amazing scenery. Completely different to anywhere else except perhaps Siberia.

You say you want people to be friendly then name probably the two least friendly places in America as the places you'd like to visit (NY and LA). My experience of the South and northern Canada was that people were extremely friendly, especially if you're English (and being white helps in the South too). Way more so than England anyway.

You say you're scared of crime and people not being interested in you, but you want to go to India? That'll be 100x worse, at least in the tourist zones. Plus much hotter than the Southern US, and AC will be much harder to come by.

I didn't mean I'm scared of no interest, I just meant Americans seem a bit fake in that way and it seems a bit soulless. I think the south does seem more interesting, where did you go? Like, it seems like it has a lot of character, but then there is racism, bible thumpers etc, gun nuts. There is also snakes and spiders and all and humidity- I'd probably go there winter.

Oh, and in reference to India, I meant the northern himalyan bit, way cooler, and then maybe other bits at the coldest times.

Canadians just seems a bit smug, I've never taken to them.

It's not really scenery, I'm sure loads is stunning in the US, it's culture and people that doesn't make it that appealing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I just meant Americans seem a bit fake in that way and it seems a bit soulless.

I mean, that seems like such a huge generalisation to make about 300 million people and from my experience is just flatly untrue as well. As I say, in my limited experience they seemed a lot more friendly and genuine than the English.

I think the south does seem more interesting, where did you go? Like, it seems like it has a lot of character, but then there is racism, bible thumpers etc, gun nuts.

Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina.

Yes it was like that :p: One guy i stayed with had more than 300 guns in his garage.

There is also snakes and spiders...

Again, wait until you see India :p:

Oh, and in reference to India, I meant the northern himalyan bit, way cooler, and then maybe other bits at the coldest times.

Nepal >>> India, imo.
Original post by nexttime
I mean, that seems like such a huge generalisation to make about 300 million people and from my experience is just flatly untrue as well. As I say, in my limited experience they seemed a lot more friendly and genuine than the English.

Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina.

Yes it was like that :p: One guy i stayed with had more than 300 guns in his garage.

Again, wait until you see India :p:

Nepal >>> India, imo.

Well I was talking like Shimla, then Darjeeling, places at the extreme North.

I know it's a huge generalisation, I more just meant on a general cultural level I can't feel that enthusiasm for it.
I've become steadily less interested in North America since I've lived in London.

I've been to New York. Suppose the nuances are what makes it interesting, but I'm not sure what it has to offer me a second time round when I already have enough cereal/pet/oxygen cafés and £10 pulled pork burger stands to set me for life.

I'd much rather mill about Europe for an eternity.
I've been to the US a few times and spent several months in Canada; both great countries and I'd happily go back.

That said, they are safe and easy to travel around and (hopefully) unlikely to change radically...while young I prefer to travel to more challenging places and save the developed countries until I'm older and want a more comfortable time.
Original post by rockrunride
I've become steadily less interested in North America since I've lived in London.

I've been to New York. Suppose the nuances are what makes it interesting, but I'm not sure what it has to offer me a second time round when I already have enough cereal/pet/oxygen cafés and £10 pulled pork burger stands to set me for life.

I'd much rather mill about Europe for an eternity.

I suppose I'd like to see Manhattan. I'd like to see the weirdness of LA, like Mullholland drive, the Canyons and all that. I wouldn't mind seeing where they filmed certain of my favourite films too.

Quick Reply

Latest