The Student Room Group

Manchester medical applicants 2017 entry

So I looked on the Manchester med school website and it was talking about how from years 3-5 of the medical course you are allocated 1 of 4 base hospitals (Central manchester, Salford, South Manchester and Preston). You get pretty much no choice and could end up spending 3 years of your life in a place you don't want to be. You only find out where you will be allocated after you have started the course so by then there is no going back. How are other people feeling about this? Has it put you off applying for Manchester? Many thanks for any replies.

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Manchester is one of my choices. That is a fair point, but I'm sure all are fine and are fairly close to Manchester anyway - there's probably pros and cons for each of those places.
Also, I don't think there's any thread for Manchester 2017 applicants so this is it!
I was just wondering if anybody has started the non-academic form?
Original post by salllllllly
Hi, Manchester is one of my choices. That is a fair point, but I'm sure all are fine and are fairly close to Manchester anyway - there's probably pros and cons for each of those places.
Also, I don't think there's any thread for Manchester 2017 applicants so this is it!

There is one
Original post by manlike99
There is one

Could you link it? I can't seem to find a medicine specific one!
Could you link it? I can't seem to find a medicine specific one!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3907523&p=68026770&page=5&highlight=#post68026770 :smile:
Hey guys

I've applied for Manchester medical school too but haven't received an email from them yet. Has anyone else not received their confirmation email??
Original post by FKAsamuel
Hey guys

I've applied for Manchester medical school too but haven't received an email from them yet. Has anyone else not received their confirmation email??

Yh. But i wouldnt worry because i dont think they send one for some reason and so far everyone ive asked hasnt got one either
Reply 7

I'm starting mine and am really lost as I have no idea what they are looking for! I started a thread on it
Reply 8
Talking of the non-academic form, general question is it okay to lift bits of PS because there is literally no other way I could put it for some of the sections? Like its ridiculous because all the info that I want to give to any Uni is in my PS and my reference?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Yes, you can although they advise against it. It's because the form is supposed to be less formal and more in depth than a personal statement but I doubt they would penalise you for it. My issue is actually the exact opposite of yours as I've realised I didn't inlcude any of it in my personal statment. Do you know how formal it should be?
Reply 10
Original post by AMC98
Talking of the non-academic form, general question is it okay to lift bits of PS because there is literally no other way I could put it for some of the sections? Like its ridiculous because all the info that I want to give to any Uni is in my PS and my reference?! So just finding it to be a total time wasting exercise!!!!

Yes, you can although they advise against it. It's because the form is supposed to be less formal and more in depth than a personal statement but I doubt they would penalise you for it. My issue is actually the exact opposite of yours as I've realised I didn't inlcude any of it in my personal statment. Do you know how formal it should be?
Reply 11
Original post by jjash12

From what I have gathered/written I think it should be formal like a personal statement, but more of an opportunity to elaborate more on things like extracurricular which is hopefully what I've done :afraid:
Original post by AMC98
Talking of the non-academic form, general question is it okay to lift bits of PS because there is literally no other way I could put it for some of the sections? Like its ridiculous because all the info that I want to give to any Uni is in my PS and my reference?!

I e-mailed Manchester and went to their open day. At the open day they said they don't read the Personal Statement at all (really annoying, I know) and on the email they said "It’s fine for you to use phrases from your personal statement. You will not be penalised for doing so." Hope this helps!
Reply 13
Original post by Hania_Khalid
I e-mailed Manchester and went to their open day. At the open day they said they don't read the Personal Statement at all (really annoying, I know) and on the email they said "It’s fine for you to use phrases from your personal statement. You will not be penalised for doing so." Hope this helps!

Hi thank you for this, just think they should be clear because on the instructions for the form it says explicitly do not copy and paste and that some PS may be read. Think I'll just go off what you're saying ! :')
Original post by AMC98
Hi thank you for this, just think they should be clear because on the instructions for the form it says explicitly do not copy and paste and that some PS may be read. Think I'll just go off what you're saying ! :':wink:

Hmm think they just mean don't copy everything because for candidates they can't choose between they may read your personal statement so as long as it's not an exact replica you should be fine. Good luck :smile:
Hi everyone! I'm also very confused as to what to include in the form, particularly in the last section. Do you think I should talk about my personal experience that motivated me to do medicine or talk about what I have seen in my work experience instead, particularly since they aren't even going to look at the PS where I have mentioned my work experience? This is really worrying me :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by crystalni
Hi everyone! I'm also very confused as to what to include in the form, particularly in the last section. Do you think I should talk about my personal experience that motivated me to do medicine or talk about what I have seen in my work experience instead, particularly since they aren't even going to look at the PS where I have mentioned my work experience? This is really worrying me :s-smilie:

Personal experience. They aren't really bothered about work experience, unless that is what motivated you to do medicine. In mine, I talked about what I love about medicine and why I want to do it.
Reply 17
Does anyone know roughly when Manchester start sending out interviews?
Original post by AMC98

Should be around end of November or in December judging by last year.
Reply 19
Original post by AMC98

Last year was around early December that they started giving them out so with any luck we'll hear back pretty soon... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending