The Student Room Group

What the difference between simple molecules and giant structures

What are they also,

Please move this if it's in the wrong place
Original post by Frank Peters
What are they also,

Please move this if it's in the wrong place

Giant structures are usually arranged in to giant regular lattices and they are extremely strong because they have many bonds involved.
Simple molecules are just normal molecules as the name suggests like CO² . though it contains strong covalent bond it still has weak intermolecular forces!!!!

Hope this helps!!!:smile::wink:
Original post by shahida sulaiman
Giant structures are usually arranged in to giant regular lattices and they are extremely strong because they have many bonds involved.
Simple molecules are just normal molecules as the name suggests like CO² . though it contains strong covalent bond it still has weak intermolecular forces!!!!

Hope this helps!!!:smile::wink:

So any formula (as long as it doesnt have ionic bonds) is a simple molecule

So am i right in saying:

Simple molecule can be h20, sulfur dioxide, barium oxide, titanium dioxide, titanium peroxide
So any formula (as long as it doesnt have ionic bonds) is a simple molecule

So am i right in saying:

Simple molecule can be h20, sulfur dioxide, barium oxide, titanium dioxide, titanium peroxide

Yeah I guess!!!!!:smile:
OK so I will explain a little more for u
Simple molecular structure: molecules are made up of fixed no. Of atoms joined by covalent bonds
Giant structure: contain huge no. Of either ions or atoms arranged in some regular way but the no. Of particles isn't fixed!!!!!
Lol!!!! Copied it from my book !!!:biggrin::wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Pink_Sparkles
Yeah I guess!!!!!:smile:
OK so I will explain a little more for u
Simple molecular structure: molecules are made up of fixed no. Of atoms joined by covalent bonds
Giant structure: contain huge no. Of either ions or atoms arranged in some regular way but the no. Of particles isn't fixed!!!!!
Lol!!!! Copied it from my book !!!:biggrin::wink:

How can you tell the difference between the two? Like how do you know which is which?
Original post by Kmcg3
How can you tell the difference between the two? Like how do you know which is which?

simple molecules usually have two/three/four atoms in a molecule. e.g. CO2

however large structures like NaCl have hundred of atoms to make up the structure.
Reply 6
simple molecules usually have two/three/four atoms in a molecule. e.g. CO2

however large structures like NaCl have hundred of atoms to make up the structure.

Ah ok. Thank you!
Reply 7
Also note that giant structure can be ionic or covalent.

The examples for giant covalent structure are graphite, diamond, other carbon allotropes, silicon dioxide (SiO2). You should google for pictures of these substances and you will see why they are called giant structure; many atoms are linked together to form a lattice (instead of 2, 3, 4,... atoms for simple molecules). Giant covalent structures usually have higher boiling, melting point due to their strong, extensive bonding.
04D0B894-CA51-496B-9341-087C83F385EF.jpg.jpeg
386A4679-263E-4F68-B13D-26812A703DEB.jpg.jpeg

maybe this could help? it’s a bit more condensed :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by clouddbubbles

Thanks. That's really helpful!
Original post by Kmcg3
Thanks. That's really helpful!

no problem - just so happened i was revising that in chemistry when i came across it :smile:
These GCSE books are more clear than ours in IGCSE
Original post by clouddbubbles

Could you please tell me the name of the book?

Quick Reply

Latest