The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Oh dear! You don't look far for rebuttals, do you? They are obvious.

Swinburne is the chap that invented two principles:

The principle of credulity: without any reason to disbelieve, one should accept what appears to be true.

The principle of testimony: without any any reason to disbelieve, one should accept eyewitnesses or believers are telling the truth.

These are nonsense, of course. If I saw someone apparently walking on water or making an elephant disappear I would first consider that he is an accomplished magician and using deception to create the illusion. I don't expect I'd be wrong.

If someone came to me and told me they had seen someone rise from the dead I would immediately look into their motivation for the lie and also seek evidence to support or refute them.

I think the wonders of modern TV demonstrate to everyone that his principles are just plain silly.

Plantinga believed in intelligent design. Enough said.

I know nothing of Alston but he'd better have something rather better to offer than the other two. I suspect he doesn't.

Regardless of what you think of those arguments, those are not the only arguments, his case for God is a cumulative case. Plantinga has also made significant contributions to philosophy such as the free will defence and riviving the ontological argument. The names I listed as well as others are very strong theists, not to say ther aren't strong opponents though but each recognising the others significance
Original post by benandjerry
Regardless of what you think of those arguments, those are not the only arguments, his case for God is a cumulative case. Plantinga has also made significant contributions to philosophy such as the free will defence and riviving the ontological argument. The names I listed as well as others are very strong theists, not to say ther aren't strong opponents though but each recognising the others significance

The ontological argument has no credibility. It has been exploded, probably in this very thread, countless times on TSR.

When you say the case is cumulative, I presume you mean they have made many wrong-headed philosophical and pseudo-scientific arguments, all of which have been destroyed by people of sense, bu that they keep being trotted out in case they come across someone who can be fooled.
The ontological argument has no credibility. It has been exploded, probably in this very thread, countless times on TSR.

When you say the case is cumulative, I presume you mean they have made many wrong-headed philosophical and pseudo-scientific arguments, all of which have been destroyed by people of sense, bu that they keep being trotted out in case they come across someone who can be fooled.

It is taken seriously by philosophers, even if it's false. And that is a chareceture of these philosophers, even if you don't agree with them you should at least recognise their significance as swinburne, alston, plantinga, Adams etc are among the best philosophers of religion of the last century, even including atheist philosophers.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
As God's supposed to exist outside of reality nobody can really make any definitive statements for or against him/her/it, given that there's no hypothesis one could form that you could then run a definitive experiment for. So you can't really get any "evidence" for or against him either way. Making statements about God as though they're factual is stupid.

Didn't Plantinga do that ontological argument where in infinite possible worlds you'd have a (to paraphrase) "most great being" in one of them while ignoring the fact that in infinite worlds you're never going to a reach a maximum because it's infinite?

Something like that...

To define God outside of reality is to beg the question against God as it entails his non- existence lol. Outside of physical reality yes, but that doesn't mean that evidence can't be given for and against, eg problem of evil, cosmological argument etc
It is taken seriously by philosophers, even if it's false. And that is a chareceture of these philosophers, even if you don't agree with them you should at least recognise their significance as swinburne, alston, plantinga, Adams etc are among the best philosophers of religion of the last century, even including atheist philosophers.

Anyone who takes seriously a point of view that is so obviously wrong deserves no credit for those views. If they are the best then the humdrum must be a poor lot, so none of them encourage me to think philosophy deserves the kudos it attracts among its participants.

The proposals we have mentioned are just examples of shoddy thinking. That philosophers take those theories seriously says more about the philosophers that do so than it does about the existence of gods.
Anyone who takes seriously a point of view that is so obviously wrong deserves no credit for those views. If they are the best then the humdrum must be a poor lot, so none of them encourage me to think philosophy deserves the kudos it attracts among its participants.

The proposals we have mentioned are just examples of shoddy thinking. That philosophers take those theories seriously says more about the philosophers that do so than it does about the existence of gods.

Okay so the whole of philosophy of religion composed of highly reputable professional philosophers both theists and atheists at elite universities is all just undermined by TSR posters? I think you should read scholarly arguments for theism and atheism (Rowe, mackie, oppy, sobel) and see just how much they contrast with the arguments seen online and YouTube.
To define God outside of reality is to beg the question against God as it entails his non- existence lol. Outside of physical reality yes, but that doesn't mean that evidence can't be given for and against, eg problem of evil, cosmological argument etc

I wouldn't call those evidence, most are more hypotheses, really.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I wouldn't call those evidence, most are more hypotheses, really.

Well the hypotheses would be theism, and the arguments, evidence, that either increase or decrease the probability of hypothesis (theism)
Okay so the whole of philosophy of religion composed of highly reputable professional philosophers both theists and atheists at elite universities is all just undermined by TSR posters?

That is not what I said. The arguments mentioned have been exploded EVEN here. Obviously other philosophers have destroyed them too.

Are you defending the ontological argument, Swinburne's principles and intelligent design? Are do you accept they are somewhat silly and easily argued against?
Special snowflake syndrome.
That is not what I said. The arguments mentioned have been exploded EVEN here. Obviously other philosophers have destroyed them too.

Are you defending the ontological argument, Swinburne's principles and intelligent design? Are do you accept they are somewhat silly and easily argued against?

I'm no defender of the ontological argument, but I haven't seen anyone get anywhere near to refuting the argument on this site! This 'explosions' tend to be shallow replies the likes of which you see in Dawkins' books. The ontological argument isn't convincing, but not because the local tsr atheists have said anything of note.
I'll take that as a compliment :biggrin:
The Atheist Delusion movie...
Original post by davidoriakhi

... is sensibly reviewed here: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/07/30/a-review-of-ray-comforts-the-atheist-delusion-yep-i-watched-the-whole-thing/

Why do believers come up with such tosh? Surely they know that these kinds of attempts to persuade people are doomed to fail and obviously flawed from the outset? If they don't they are even more foolish than they appear.
... is sensibly reviewed here: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/07/30/a-review-of-ray-comforts-the-atheist-delusion-yep-i-watched-the-whole-thing/

Why do believers come up with such tosh? Surely they know that these kinds of attempts to persuade people are doomed to fail and obviously flawed from the outset? If they don't they are even more foolish than they appear.

watch it for yourself m8, and then give me your own review...
watch it for yourself m8, and then give me your own review...

I told you: it's tosh.
One of the many reasons that many people believe in God is beacuse they may have witnessed a miracle. Just like me

Was that done by the guy responsible for my all time favourite video?
[video="youtube;qq7LXn4KSrM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7LXn4KSrM[/video]
lmao this thread is still going? i should have replied earlier.

it's a simple fact there is evidence for god, kthxbai.
I don't think that there is physical evidence to prove that God exists. I mean we can't hear, see, touch him/her. But I think that it does provide an explanation for our existence or provide some meaning to it. It is a philosophical question and anyone who is familiar with philosophy understands, that there isn't a right or wrong answer, it's just what we accept as the right answer. Just imagine an Christian and Atheist going back and forth about whether God exists or not. Both are trying to convince the other, but by the end of the debate, they still haven't answered the question on whether God exists or not because as long as it is between humans, who are very subjective beings, will never uncover the real, objective truth. There is always going to be a bias to it. Just as with anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending