The Student Room Group

Missing entry requirements?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theplace
You are easily surprised. Absolutely these matters should be referenced briefly in the PS. There are many schools who cannot teach the subject, omots entering coursework for exams etc. GCSE requirements are generally non negotiable unless you address them....in the PS, reference and also in advance with supporting evidence. Especially so for the less competitive programmes and even for the competitive ones. Generally these issues arise in applications from students from areas or schools that require assistance and the unis are obliged to give come consideration, especially too unis and programmes in the headlines, i.e. Oxford, med school etc...

So someone is answering the phone at Warwick this morning with the authority to advise what an applicant without the GCSE requirements should do?

You do know that I work for a university? I'm not just making things up or assuming that what holds true in one situation is true for all.

It's incredibly negative to waste space in your PS to talk about problems with schooling/teaching.

There are specific ways that exceptional circumstances and disadvantage are evidenced. Most universities have a specific form or procedure. A PS containing excuses for underperformance is unlikely to be read. And if it is read it won't be well received.

There is a big difference between underperforming in AS/A level predictions and applying without stated requirements at GCSE.
That's what the edit button is for. 🐴

Very 1984.

You are easily surprised. Absolutely these matters should be referenced briefly in the PS. There are many schools who cannot teach the subject, omots entering coursework for exams etc. GCSE requirements are generally non negotiable unless you address them....in the PS, reference and also in advance with supporting evidence. Especially so for the less competitive programmes and even for the competitive ones. Generally these issues arise in applications from students from areas or schools that require assistance and the unis are obliged to give come consideration, especially to unis and programmes in the headlines, i.e. Oxford, med school etc...

I doubt that PQ is surprised by anything regarding applications, given that they have worked in university admissions for many years. Unlike me. Or you.
Original post by PQ
So someone is answering the phone at Warwick this morning with the authority to advise what an applicant without the GCSE requirements should do?

You do know that I work for a university? I'm not just making things up or assuming that what holds true in one situation is true for all.

It's incredibly negative to waste space in your PS to talk about problems with schooling/teaching.

There are specific ways that exceptional circumstances and disadvantage are evidenced. Most universities have a specific form or procedure. A PS containing excuses for underperformance is unlikely to be read. And if it is read it won't be well received.

There is a big difference between underperforming in AS/A level predictions and applying without stated requirements at GCSE.

Ome is advised to mention it briefly ...not have a rant.
..having recent dealing with unis, exam boards, admission officers as to this particular matter and having presented such just this month on behalf of someone in a similar situation. Its called covering, not being one.
(edited 7 years ago)
I be,I eve I Amman modem wialifed thst,you in tnis matter, having recent dealing with unis, exam boards, admission officers as to this particular matter and having presented such just this month on behalf of someone in a similar liar situation. It called covering, not being one.

I'm sorry I can't understand you.

Did warwick pick up the phone and say "tell us how crap your school was in your PS"?
I be,I eve I Amman modem wialifed thst,you in tnis matter, having recent dealing with unis, exam boards, admission officers as to this particular matter and having presented such just this month on behalf of someone in a similar liar situation. It called covering, not being one.

I know you got screwed in your GCSE English Language exam, but a little more care with your writing wouldn't go amiss either. And no, one presentation and dealing with your own issue does not make you more qualified than someone with years and years of experience.
OP (or anyone else applying to Warwick). If your schooling was disrupted at some point then notify Warwick using their official form: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/awards/

Don't mention it in your PS.
Original post by PQ
I'm sorry I can't understand you.

Did warwick pick up the phone and say "tell us how crap your school was in your PS"?

'I have demonstrared my abilitiy at AS level to mitigate my GCSE English etc....'
'I have demonstrared my abilitiy at AS level to mitigate my GCSE English etc....'

Run that through a spell checker and tell me that demonstrates ability in English.:indiff:

GCSE requirements aren't negotiable.
English language requirements aren't negotiable.

If you don't meet (and aren't retaking in order to meet) the requirements then noone is going to even read your PS (unless you're a mature applicant or have sent through mitigating circumstance evidence through a university's own process/form).

Excuses do not belong in your PS - they belong in your reference and on official applications for mitigation.
Original post by PQ
Run that through a spell checker and tell me that demonstrates ability in English.:indiff:

If you don't meet (and aren't retaking in order to meet) the requirements then noone is going to even read your PS (unless you're a mature applicant or have sent through mitigating circumstance evidence through a university's own process/form).

Excuses do not belong in your PS - they belong in your reference and on official applications for mitigation.

Motek, 'tis not for me to demonstrate my knowledge of English. I am hard of sight, on an iPad, and very tired.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ

Many universities are not clear about their own procedures.
Original post by PQ

These are mitigating circumstances not "excuses", and are to be referenced briefly in the PS and evidenced in the reference. Comfirmed.
(edited 7 years ago)
These are mitigating circumstances not "excuses", and are to be referenced briefly in the PS and evidenced reference. Comfirmed.

You're contradicting Warwick's website and admissions policy.
[QUOTE="PQ;68046940"]You're contradicting Warwick's website and admissions policy.[/QUOTE

I am sure the candidate will decide whether this course and uni is worth fighting for.
Original post by PQ
You're contradicting Warwick's website and admissions policy.

I am sure the candidate will decide whether this course and uni is worth fighting for.

The candidate is resitting their GCSE English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending