The Student Room Group

MLAT Linguistics section

Any one else *****ing their pants about the linguistics section of the MLAT? I've had absolutely no prior study of linguistics and I don't even take English Language. How are you guys preparing for the section of the MLAT, the lack of past paper mark schemes doesn't help the situation since I have absolutely no idea how it's going to be marked/ what I should or shouldn't include to gain marks.

Anyone else?
Reply 1
Original post by bigwang
Any one else *****ing their pants about the linguistics section of the MLAT? I've had absolutely no prior study of linguistics and I don't even take English Language. How are you guys preparing for the section of the MLAT, the lack of past paper mark schemes doesn't help the situation since I have absolutely no idea how it's going to be marked/ what I should or shouldn't include to gain marks.

Anyone else?

Since no one applying will have done any formal study of linguistics I think doing past papers is the best we can do. To me the trend seems to be q1 and q2 involve interpreting/translating words from some language and then q3 is some kind of interpretation of data. I'm not sure why there are no mark schemes though?What course are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by iuyscvbh
Since no one applying will have done any formal study of linguistics I think doing past papers is the best we can do. To me the trend seems to be q1 and q2 involve interpreting/translating words from some language and then q3 is some kind of interpretation of data. I'm not sure why there are no mark schemes though?What course are you applying for?

Single Russian, I might go for Q3 first because it tends to be easier marks although Q1 and Q2 seem fairly 'simple' once you notice the initial trend. Having said that Q1 and Q2 sometimes are ridiculously hard (although I've only even seen this in 1 year). Oh well...
Reply 3
Original post by bigwang
Single Russian, I might go for Q3 first because it tends to be easier marks although Q1 and Q2 seem fairly 'simple' once you notice the initial trend. Having said that Q1 and Q2 sometimes are ridiculously hard (although I've only even seen this in 1 year). Oh well...

Yeah I guess all we can do is our best... How come you're taking the linguistics section if you're applying for sole russian?
Reply 4
Original post by iuyscvbh
Yeah I guess all we can do is our best... How come you're taking the linguistics section if you're applying for sole russian?

For the sole languages you need to do both Linguistics and your Language, apart from French and German I think. Kind of sucks but I think it's because of the compulsory Linguistics modules you take in your first year.
Original post by bigwang

Anyone else?

Yeah, taking the MLAT in two days. How did it go for you when you took it?
Reply 6
Original post by RainbowParrot
Yeah, taking the MLAT in two days. How did it go for you when you took it?

Exam not too much of a problem, the interview is worse for it
Original post by bigwang
Exam not too much of a problem, the interview is worse for it

I mostly have trouble with interpreting the graph data, I never quite know what they're looking for. I hope it's mostly translation on Wednesday. What was the interview like?
Reply 8
I mostly have trouble with interpreting the graph data, I never quite know what they're looking for. I hope it's mostly translation on Wednesday. What was the interview like?

Lots of translation+ why linguistics
Original post by bigwang
Lots of translation+ why linguistics

So you had to translate on the spot? :K:
Reply 10
So you had to translate on the spot? :K:

yep
Haha, I hope my nerves don't get the best of me - thanks for the insight :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending