The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GoatWithAGoatee
Yeah, that's the trouble with going to a sixth form that is far away (to an extent) every day, as the days where it gets dark early are an issue, and I don't think that anyone I know will be going to Graveney or have at least applied for it, so there's the issue with no safety in numbers as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
No I don't think there's a maths with physics rule there anymore
How long ago did you go there?
To Graveney? I was merely interested in it, because all I heard from the school were positive things from other students and parents of students other than the "overrated" comment, but as always I must view each school objectively, and the criticism of the school I received is something I have to take into account. No worries though, at least there are many other schools to look for that are closer to where I live!

What subjects are u taking?
Original post by Starlight2000
What subjects are u taking?

For GCSE? I'm taking Maths, Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology), English (English Language and English Literature), French, History and Media Studies - though I do regret that subject as a choice. I'm also going to be doing my Religious Studies exam this year as I missed out on the chance to complete it last year, so I'll be learning that at home rather than as a classroom subject. I did complete my Spanish GCSE early as I think I've mentioned before, to which I received an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For GCSE? I'm taking Maths, Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology), English (English Language and English Literature), French, History and Media Studies - though I do regret that subject as a choice. I'm also going to be doing my Religious Studies exam this year as I missed out on the chance to complete it last year, so I'll be learning that at home rather than as a classroom subject. I did complete my Spanish GCSE early as I think I've mentioned before, to which I received an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lola I'm sorry i thought you were in yr12
Well done with Spanish (I was awful at the language I did) you seem pretty clever doing early exams!
If you're planning on taking maths or English lit (dOnt think they do eng language) then graveney is a great school but with sciences you need to be a bit careful
Well done
Original post by Starlight2000
Lola I'm sorry i thought you were in yr12
Well done with Spanish (I was awful at the language I did) you seem pretty clever doing early exams!
If you're planning on taking maths or English lit (dOnt think they do eng language) then graveney is a great school but with sciences you need to be a bit careful
Well done

Thank you for the kind words, they really mean a lot to me :smile: Yeah, I'm aware that with Sciences you have to be a bit more careful - in fact I might end up choosing Chemistry rather than Physics because I do want to pursue a path in forensics, but then again I'm not certain as my aspirations are not set in stone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I guess that's the only problem though; maybe I'll have to replace a subject I originally wanted to do with Maths, since it would be extremely helpful.

What subjects are you doing?
Original post by SidTheSloth1
What subjects are you doing?

I mentioned it above but I'll paste it on this post for you:

"I'm taking Maths, Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology), English (English Language and English Literature), French, History and Media Studies - though I do regret that subject as a choice. I'm also going to be doing my Religious Studies exam this year as I missed out on the chance to complete it last year, so I'll be learning that at home rather than as a classroom subject. I did complete my Spanish GCSE early as I think I've mentioned before, to which I received an A*."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if Ravensbourne or Brampton Manor are any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I live/school in the lewisham borough aswell, and I just wanted to find out where you ended up going for sixth form. At the moment I've applied for Graveney, Kingsdale, Charter, Coulsdon College and Christ the king (I'm defo not going there) but I had to apply because I'm school is partnered with them.
Original post by Abbie_xo
Hey! I live/school in the lewisham borough aswell, and I just wanted to find out where you ended up going for sixth form. At the moment I've applied for Graveney, Kingsdale, Charter, Coulsdon College and Christ the king (I'm defo not going there) but I had to apply because I'm school is partnered with them.

I hated Graveney with a passion so I left it a month into year 12. I felt like unless you’re an internal student from the lower school IT IS SO DIFFICULT to make any friendships as they’re all very close and tbh a lot of them I found really rude and snobby. I did English, History and psychology and honestly the teaching wasn’t anything special either. I found the open days to be a very big catfish. I hated it so much that I decided to do an apprenticeship until this coming September when I’m going college to do my a levels. I’ll either be going Strodes or Coulsdon so I might see you there. I’ll be 17 and a year behind but I am defo doing my a levels
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SidTheSloth1
Depends on what subjects you take at graveney, some departments are horrible.

What departments would you say are the bad ones?
Original post by CourtneyySheri
I hated Graveney with a passion so I left it a month into year 12. I felt like unless you’re an internal student from the lower school IT IS SO DIFFICULT to make any friendships as they’re all very close and tbh a lot of them I found really rude and snobby. I did English, History and psychology and honestly the teaching wasn’t anything special either. I found the open days to be a very big catfish. I hated it so much that I decided to do an apprenticeship until this coming September when I’m going college to do my a levels. I’ll either be going Strodes or Coulsdon so I might see you there. I’ll be 17 and a year behind but I am defo doing my a levels

Ooo! I have a friend in year 12 at graveney and she came from kingsdale secondary and she said it was easy for her to make friends, she does English media psychology and biology. However for her form group somehow they managed to accidentally put her in a citizenship or politics form? Can't remember which one but it was one along the lines of that and she said that's what mad everyone it easier to make friends.

Sorry to be stereotypical but OFC the students are gonna be rude and snobby, well most anyway, it's a state school that private school kinda kids go😂 "Parents turn down alleyns and dulwich college to go graveney" 😂😂😂

Would you say if you made more friends it would have seemed more worth it/easier? What department out of the subjects you took do you think was the best?

After considerating my options and what I wanna do after sixth form. I've kinda decided it's either Graveney (because of stats, the name, destination of students ) or Coulsdon because I loved it sooo much, I really liked it open morning, I found the careers advisors extremely helpful and she made the future sound so promising 😂😂. Also the "interview" went well and I've been given an unconditional offer already which obviously I've accepted.

Tbh I feel very skeptical about Graveney at the moment as I know nothing about their career advisors, how they help, etc etc. especially in this thread. it's really turned me into Liza Koshys meme i am confusion.
City of London (Southwark) is a good 6th form in South London

But that’s how most students in all 6th forms with lower schools are.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ooo! I have a friend in year 12 at graveney and she came from kingsdale secondary and she said it was easy for her to make friends, she does English media psychology and biology. However for her form group somehow they managed to accidentally put her in a citizenship or politics form? Can't remember which one but it was one along the lines of that and she said that's what mad everyone it easier to make friends.

Sorry to be stereotypical but OFC the students are gonna be rude and snobby, well most anyway, it's a state school that private school kinda kids go😂 "Parents turn down alleyns and dulwich college to go graveney" 😂😂😂

Would you say if you made more friends it would have seemed more worth it/easier? What department out of the subjects you took do you think was the best?

After considerating my options and what I wanna do after sixth form. I've kinda decided it's either Graveney (because of stats, the name, destination of students ) or Coulsdon because I loved it sooo much, I really liked it open morning, I found the careers advisors extremely helpful and she made the future sound so promising 😂😂. Also the "interview" went well and I've been given an unconditional offer already which obviously I've accepted.

Tbh I feel very skeptical about Graveney at the moment as I know nothing about their career advisors, how they help, etc etc. especially in this thread. it's really turned me into Liza Koshys meme i am confusion.

I feel like eventhough I did leave Graveney, there was some aspects that were okay I mean the teaching wasn’t OUTSTANDING like I expected but out of the subjects I did I would definitely say that Pyschology was the best - they really had their s*** together😂😂

When you went to see Coulsdon did you really like it, I mean I have my application pack on my bed at this very moment but I’m not sure whether to apply or not. What do you think?
Original post by The Uniqueness
But that’s how most students in all 6th forms with lower schools are.

No not only with how they approached and interacted with externals but also the way they came across as individuals. It was mainly snobby people which I kinda expected but also they just seemed very rude in general and basically *****es
I feel like eventhough I did leave Graveney, there was some aspects that were okay I mean the teaching wasn’t OUTSTANDING like I expected but out of the subjects I did I would definitely say that Pyschology was the best - they really had their s*** together😂😂

When you went to see Coulsdon did you really like it, I mean I have my application pack on my bed at this very moment but I’m not sure whether to apply or not. What do you think?

Okay feeling more optimistic about Graveney now 😂 Psychology. That’s all that matters 😂😂

Yup I really liked it. Tbh it really depends because there are loads of different aspects that makes coulsdon the one for me. For example, not being in everyday, only coming in for lessons, 9 am start, own clothes, careers advisor (mainly for me because I want to go to a Russell group Uni) when I spoke the the teachers for the classes I want to do (biology psychology and sociology) I would say the biology teacher really knew what he was doing etc etc. Same with the other departments. Flexible so I can work/ volunteer if I want. Tbh APPLY!
They have subject led information evenings coming up, idk if it’s just for people who have already applied but check their website if you don’t see anything. I can see if I find the paper with the dates and I’ll send it to you if it’s not on the website.
You can also call them 🤷🏽*♀️.
Okay feeling more optimistic about Graveney now 😂 Psychology. That’s all that matters 😂😂

Yup I really liked it. Tbh it really depends because there are loads of different aspects that makes coulsdon the one for me. For example, not being in everyday, only coming in for lessons, 9 am start, own clothes, careers advisor (mainly for me because I want to go to a Russell group Uni) when I spoke the the teachers for the classes I want to do (biology psychology and sociology) I would say the biology teacher really knew what he was doing etc etc. Same with the other departments. Flexible so I can work/ volunteer if I want. Tbh APPLY!
They have subject led information evenings coming up, idk if it’s just for people who have already applied but check their website if you don’t see anything. I can see if I find the paper with the dates and I’ll send it to you if it’s not on the website.
You can also call them 🤷🏽*♀️.

Thankyou so much! I’d really appreciate it. I sent off my application today but I’m still unsure on whether I should go to one of the evenings or not. I’m gonna have a look!

I live in the area (Furzedown) and I wanted to go to the Graveney when I was in Year 7 but my parents were set on sending me to a Boy's school. Now in Year 11 I want to go there. Was it as Bad as you say? Because I want to study English Lit, History and Rs: Philophy and ethics. On the Open day it seemed like a great school and I would like to reconnect with friends I used to hang out with at Primary.

Latest