The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LouKayenta05
Anyone got an offer from Manchester yet? I haven't heard anything from them, not even an acknowledgement email.

I got my first offer from Nottingham for theology and religious studies yesterday, a week after sending it off - ABB or unconditional if I firm it!

How do you get an unconditional? I really want one from Manchester. I have an interview with them in 2 weeks:s-smilie:
Original post by t.thompson22
How do you get an unconditional? I really want one from Manchester. I have an interview with them in 2 weeks:s-smilie:

You get an unconditional either if you've already achieved the grades required for the course and the university wants to offer you a place. Many universities give unconditionals to very very strong applicants. :smile:

Good luck for your interview! At least you've heard back from them for the interview, it's a good sign :smile: What are you applying for?

Weekends are frustatating as there's no way you'll be hearing for any university on a saturday or a sunday :frown:
Original post by LouKayenta05
Anyone got an offer from Manchester yet? I haven't heard anything from them, not even an acknowledgement email.

I got my first offer from Nottingham for theology and religious studies yesterday, a week after sending it off - ABB or unconditional if I firm it!

I have heard nothing from Manchester yet either.
Original post by IcedArizona
Still no responses :frown: sent my application a week and a half ago.

You do realise that you could wait until March for a decision ..... ?
Original post by Theplace
Meeting the requirements is a given for all that apply. It does not secure an early offer.

Understood, but I thought most UK applicants apply with predicted qualifications. She has met or exceeded those--I think your A2 grades (whatever ones at the end)--were what I referring to.
You get an unconditional either if you've already achieved the grades required for the course and the university wants to offer you a place. Many universities give unconditionals to very very strong applicants. :smile:

Good luck for your interview! At least you've heard back from them for the interview, it's a good sign :smile: What are you applying for?

Weekends are frustatating as there's no way you'll be hearing for any university on a saturday or a sunday :frown:

Well congratulations on getting an unconditional! :biggrin:I like to think I'm strong enough to get one, but I do know it's unlikely. :frown: And thank you! I'm applying for biochemistry. And tell me about it, need to get out of the habit of checking my emails every second on weekends :biggrin:
Original post by returnmigrant
You do realise that you could wait until March for a decision ..... ?

Yes yes but as I'm applying early and have predicted and achieved grades higher than what they are expecting I'm hoping to get an earlier decision :/
You get an unconditional either if you've already achieved the grades required for the course and the university wants to offer you a place. Many universities give unconditionals to very very strong applicants.

Middle range Unis offer Unconditional places like this because they want to fill courses and not loose people in August when they get higher results and/or just change their minds. It has NOTHING To do with 'wanting you' - they would want anyone who is upright and breathing with the right predictions.

It might sound like the dream offer - it isn't. If you pick this as your Firm you are then UF - locked-in to going to that Uni and only that Uni regardless of your results in August. You will not have an Insurance (you don't need one) and you will not be eligible for Adjustment, whatever results you get.

You will probably feel flattered that you got an Unconditional offer and choose that (easy option) without thinking too carefully about either the course or the Uni - and are likely to have regretted that choice by August. And, you will stop working for your A levels (they no longer matter) and will probably get weak grades - this will matter big time later as many employers use A level grades as a way of filtering graduate applications.

So..... be very careful about wishing for this. It isn't the magic gift it might look like !

Lots more advice in these 2 TSR articles : How to Avoid 5 Rejections (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections) and Making Firm & Insurance Choices (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices). These are both worth reading, carefully.

Yes yes but as I'm applying early and have predicted and achieved grades higher than what they are expecting I'm hoping to get an earlier decision :/

They will also look at your PS and academic reference. You application will be ranked and you will get an offer if it scores high enough. Again you may wait until March for this - ie. your application may be weak compared to others who do get an immediate offer, Achieved grades do not automatically make you a stronger candidate.
Well congratulations on getting an unconditional! :biggrin:I like to think I'm strong enough to get one, but I do know it's unlikely. :frown: And thank you! I'm applying for biochemistry. And tell me about it, need to get out of the habit of checking my emails every second on weekends :biggrin:

Oh I dont have an uncondtional offer haha I wish x) I haven't heard back yet from any of my unis (ucl bristol birmingham exeter + cambridge) so I'm crossing my fingers for next week!

Oh i've got a friend who went for an interview at Manchester for biochemistry! She loved the interview and then got an offer. The offer was a 15 at the french bac if I remember correctly (equivalent to AAA to A*AA)
Oh I dont have an uncondtional offer haha I wish x) I haven't heard back yet from any of my unis (ucl bristol birmingham exeter + cambridge) so I'm crossing my fingers for next week!

Oh i've got a friend who went for an interview at Manchester for biochemistry! She loved the interview and then got an offer. The offer was a 15 at the french bac if I remember correctly (equivalent to AAA to A*AA)

Oh my bad, misread! :biggrin: And I'll have my fingers crossed for you for next week!! That's a very high offer for Biochem, on the website 2017 entry is AAA-ABB. I have extenuating circumstances which may lead to a contextual offer of something maybe a little bit lower? Grouped with interview performance, personal statement & reference maybe?
Any Biomedical Science offers??
Oh my bad, misread! :biggrin: And I'll have my fingers crossed for you for next week!! That's a very high offer for Biochem, on the website 2017 entry is AAA-ABB. I have extenuating circumstances which may lead to a contextual offer of something maybe a little bit lower? Grouped with interview performance, personal statement & reference maybe?

Haha thanks! The french bac offers are really different from unis to unis, for example at Bristol my course asks for A*AA but with the french bac international option they "only" ask for 14/20 whereas UCL who asks for A*AA -A*A*A asks for 16,5 at the french bac.
I'm sure the extenuating circumstances will be taken into account :smile:
Do you know if your interview is academic or more informal?
Reply 1353
I just applied to Oxford, St Andrews, Edinburgh & Inperial for biology + Human sciences & evolution for UCl on the 13th of October.
Only just received welcome emails from all the unis I applied for apart from Imperial. I'll probably be anxiously awaiting offers for the next few months but I'll update if I get any😬
Haha thanks! The french bac offers are really different from unis to unis, for example at Bristol my course asks for A*AA but with the french bac international option they "only" ask for 14/20 whereas UCL who asks for A*AA -A*A*A asks for 16,5 at the french bac.
I'm sure the extenuating circumstances will be taken into account :smile:
Do you know if your interview is academic or more informal?

I hope so, Bristol reduced their offer to BBB because of the extenuating circumstances so I'm hoping Manchester will do the same!

I've been told that it's more for the uni to sell itself than for me to sell myself to them. It's a tour of the campus, lab practical demonstration & then a 'formal' interview. That's all I know, so I'm preparing for anything really. I've organised a mock interview this coming Wednesday just so I can prepare myself a bit :smile:
I hope so, Bristol reduced their offer to BBB because of the extenuating circumstances so I'm hoping Manchester will do the same!

I've been told that it's more for the uni to sell itself than for me to sell myself to them. It's a tour of the campus, lab practical demonstration & then a 'formal' interview. That's all I know, so I'm preparing for anything really. I've organised a mock interview this coming Wednesday just so I can prepare myself a bit :smile:

Oh okay well that's great! Congrats on your offer!! :smile:
The interview actually sounds like fun, hope you'll enjoy it!
Where else have you applied?
Reply 1356
Wagwarn my Gs, i sent off my applications on Friday applying for:

Oxford - PPE (St Anne's) AAA
York - PPE A*AA
Sheffield - Philosophy & Economics AAB ( ABB + B with EPQ)
Cardiff - Philosophy & Economics AAB
UEA - PPE ABB

My predicted grades are AAAB, so the York and Oxford are a bit speculative but you dont get if you dont try! Has anyone got an offer from any of these Unis yet?

Good Luck all :u:
Reply 1357
Just got an offer for maths at Nottingham!
Wasn't expecting that on a Saturday:biggrin:
Reply 1358
Original post by solC
Just got an offer for maths at Nottingham!
Wasn't expecting that on a Saturday:biggrin:

congrats dude! what are the conditions and your predicted grades?
Original post by andre zolanski
Any Biomedical Science offers??

Yup, got my QMUL offer yesterday (AAB) after 2 days... Where have you applied??

Latest

Trending

Trending