The Student Room Group

most efficient way to lose weight?

Hey!

I'm a 18 year old male who's 5'11 and i weigh around 80kg. I was really starting to think and I really do want to lose weight and just body fat, mainly around my stomach and thighs. I was wondering is there efficient ways to quickly lose weight without having to go to the gym, due to not being able to financially sustain for the gym.

In terms of food, amount of calories, e.g. I've heard about eating 800 calories a day and exercise is quick and efficient. Best exercises? Best Apps? How should i work out, should i focus more on cardio or just body strength, e.g. planks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by bhfn
Hey!

I'm a 18 year old male who's 5'11 and i weigh around 80kg. I was really starting to think and I really do want to lose weight and just body fat, mainly around my stomach and thighs. I was wondering is there efficient ways to quickly lose weight without having to go to the gym, due to not being able to financially sustain for the gym.

In terms of food, amount of calories, e.g. I've heard about eating 800 calories a day and exercise is quick and efficient. Best exercises? Best Apps? How should i work out, should i focus more on cardio or just body strength, e.g. planks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there. Although at the upper end you are still a healthy weight so you don't need to try anything too drastic.
Ensuring that you have a healthy diet, exercise and keep generaly healthy is good. If you are exercising be sure you are getting enough callories and protien for what you are doing (a diet with little food and exercise don't mix too well and will just make you ill).
You could try diet shakes or other diet foods if you like. I might suggest doing this for only some meals so you can be sure you're getting a balanced diet still.
If you join a gym they will often write up an exercise plan for you based on your goal so you might like to try that.
You could also see a diatician if you want or ask a pharmacist. They will often have resources you can use.

The most important thing is finding something you can stick to. There's no point making the most amazing and wonderful plan if you're going to end up giving up or it won't fit in with your lifestyle. Try to find exercises that you will enjoy so you are more likely to stick to them, look around for recipies and foods that you will actually like and don't make it so strict that you will hate it.

I'm sorry I don't know about any specific plans. You can probably find out a good deal by googling it and hopefully somebody else will comment with more advice aswell.

Good luck :smile:
Eat less. Don't eat 800 kcals/day if you're not mental, Jesus Christ. You can say goodbye to your morning wood, goodbye to your sex drive and GOODBYE to your health if you cut so drastically. You need to make permanent lifestyle changes to lose weight, not diet. Eat less carbohydrates, do more strength training AND cardio and you'll be good. Have fun with it, too. Don't make it a chore.

Spoiler

Alll I can say is walk, walk, walk-I pretty much lost a stone on walking everywhere. :smile:
Reply 4
If your a guy then cut calories to 2000 and walk for an hour per day.
Eat less, move more is standard. Don't drop down to 800 though FFS, absolutely lowest any guy should drop is 1500 IMO and that's on the extreme end.
You can't realistically get an adequate supply of micronutrients from an 800kcal diet. If you wanna do it for a week or so to quickly drop some weight for an event, fine, go nuts, otherwise it's not a healthy/sustainable plan.
Countless studies proving that the extreme majority of multivitamins and vitamin supplements have little to no effect on health markers or vitamin levels. Likely derived from poor sources with low bio-availability.
Yep :wink:
Reply 9
well from someone who has tried an 800 calorie diet i can say that yes it does work but it is extremely difficult. i don't actually know anyone who was able to successfully keep to it (unless they had a gastric band), I managed to last for a month. you notice a difference within 4 days, my clothes had become so loose. but a warning - the worst part is not the weakness or light headedness but the PAIN. at some point (for me it was after a week) you will feel the full effect of hunger pains. and i'm not talking about normal hunger pains here, i mean you will have extreme stomach pain for a while, it will feel like your stomach has turned to stone.
and thats usually the part that people find the worse to handle and thats usally what makes them give up. if you can overcome that part and still stick to it then yes, of course it will work. its dangerous and can kill you (thats why people tell you that it doesn't work) but it does work, of course it does. how the hell else did children in africa become so skinny?

also be warned that if you give up and go back to your normal eating habits you may actually end up eating more than before therefore becoming bigger than you were to begin with. most ideal weight loss method is to eat less than you are eating now (say cut out 500 calories from your current calorie intake) and exercise more than usual and daily. thats worked successfully for most people.
It's going to require very little effort to Google "why multivitamins don't work" and bring up a load of articles citing numerous sources. Not all of them are worth reading, obviously, but of course many of them happen to be on reputable sites.

It doesn't work like that. If you oversupplement with vitamins, your vitamin levels with be out of range on your bloods. The effect, if there was any, would be very easy to spot.
For what it's worth, here's my ten pennies as a 65kg lady who used to be 132kg back in February: No crash diets - I cannot emphasize how **** they actually are. They're a quick way of shedding, but are likely to find yourself putting back on right after you have 'finished' the diet. No slimming pills or any of that other rubbish and, most importantly, don't punish yourself for having nice things. 800 calories per day is not only cruel to yourself, but it doesn't factor in other things that can bulk up your food... sugar, for instance. Get your water down you, especially if you are feeling peckish. Most of the time when we think we are desperate for food, we actually just need a topup of water. Have a day in your week where you can have treats, your takeaways, your Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream or whatever you love most. If you love bananas on toast with marmite, sugar and mayonnaise on, you have your day where you have those things. One thing that works for me personally is writing down, word for word, what I have eaten and drank each day. It's a bit like a food diary I guess. I believe this is a WeightWatcher/Slimming World tendency (and I will put my hand up and say I am one of these!), but when I started being honest about what I was taking in every day, that helped me to identify what precisely was going through my body every day.
As for walking, I cannot stress how much walking has had an impact on my weight loss. It's free, you can control your pace, and it's actually really enjoyable. It does wonders for your mental health and it costs virtually nothing. The Ramblers have a great interactive map dotting all kinds of wonderful places around the country where you can go and explore.http://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking/find-a-walk-or-route.aspx On that note, if you are into adventures, it might also be worth checking out your local Ramblers society. They tend to have, er, older members but they have a range of groups to suit each ability, from D grade walks (a few miles, small hills, a cafe?) to some really strenuous routes that make some work for your joints and muscles. I have climbed so many mountains with these folk, including Snowdon and Ben Nevis, that the 132kg me would have actually died of shock!
That's all I can think of. I wish you the very best of luck whatever you decide!

Quick Reply

Latest