The Student Room Group

Can't get to interview stage on 5 applications. :(

Applied for 5 jobs:

ASDA: Failed online test.
TESCO: Failed online test
LIDL: Sent my CV personalised to the company. A week later REJECTED
Paid Charity shop: Declined. (A charity I previously volunteered for.)
ScrewFix: Declined.

Why is it so hard?

My CV contains: Skills , Grades , Interests , Referees , Personal paragraph to the company.
(edited 7 years ago)
For tesco you need to make a new account and make sure you haven't passed the closing date
Reply 2
Original post by Inspiringvisons
For tesco you need to make a new account and make sure you haven't passed the closing date

You can do that???
Original post by 2016_GCSE
You can do that???

The thing with Tesco is that if you fail the online assessment, your application will not be seen by the manager who will interview you so you can make another account. If you fail on a certain account too many times the system can see this, and will automatically make you unsuccessful. If you're struggling with the questions, I would be happy to help you with the festive collegue assessment :smile:
Applied for 5 jobs:

Why is it so hard?

My CV contains: Skills , Grades , Interests , Referees , Personal paragraph to the company.

I'm pretty sure Lidl don't take CVs . . . ? Did you fill in an online application?

You don't need to state your interests on your CV. Also if your skills are just generic ones like 'Communication' and 'Working In A Team', then they are pointless as well.

Another problem is that you're only applying to large companies, which are going to be more competitive than smaller businesses. Have you ever had a paid job before? If you haven't, the issue is that you'll be competing against adults who have. I think you should look at smaller businesses. Also, five applications isn't really a lot. I sent about 20-30 before I got 2 jobs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Applied for 5 jobs:

Why is it so hard?

That's not many. It took me a lot more than that to get even temp jobs. Like the above post says, you're applying to large companies for competitive jobs. You're up against people with a lot more experience than you, who are older and more qualified. Try smaller shops, and places like W H Smith who take on younger people. Local shops, not chains, will be a better bet. Places like cafes often take on inexperienced, young waiters and waitresses. It's a good job. Don't give up. The rejections aren't personal, and you have to remember that. Just keep trying, a stay determined
Applied for 5 jobs:

Why is it so hard?

They don't want grades, Referees or a personal paragraph to the company. So you are only presenting half a CV at best, so you aren't competitive.
I applied to 20 over summer and got 5 responses, plus right now I'm still getting emails about interviews. Talk mainly about customer service and how you love the public (I work at GAP with 50% off so it really was worth waiting for <3 )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending