The Student Room Group

I feel turned off...

I was almost dead set on doing an economics degree, but the economics a level is sometimes off putting. Who else felt the same way but eventually pursued the degree?
Original post by MajorFader
I was almost dead set on doing an economics degree, but the economics a level is sometimes off putting. Who else felt the same way but eventually pursued the degree?

It's probably just some of the topics. This is completely normal you will know when not to pursue it when you completely hate Economics.
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
What Economics specification to you do? I do Economics B with Edexcel and I have found it dull in parts actually. This spec has quite a bit of business related modules in it rather than the core economics stuff, which is annoying as I want to start learning what I'll actually be doing at uni. It is frustrating but I know that the degree course will include a lot more economics so I'm not put off applying for an economics degree. I started a thread on the economics study help forum (I think) that goes in to more detail of what I don't like about it a week or two ago, although didn't get any replies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by joddcfc
What Economics specification to you do? I do Economics B with Edexcel and I have found it dull in parts actually. This spec has quite a bit of business related modules in it rather than the core economics stuff, which is annoying as I want to start learning what I'll actually be doing at uni. It is frustrating but I know that the degree course will include a lot more economics so I'm not put off applying for an economics degree. I started a thread on the economics study help forum (I think) that goes in to more detail of what I don't like about it a week or two ago, although didn't get any replies

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do the new economics spec with OCR.
Reply 5
I do the new economics spec with OCR.

Ah right, what's putting you off economics then?
Reply 6
Original post by joddcfc
Ah right, what's putting you off economics then?

I think it's the teaching. In class everything seems boring and not understandable; but when I go home and look in my textbook and watch YouTube videos, that's when it is much more interesting and I understand a lot more.
Reply 7
I think it's the teaching. In class everything seems boring and not understandable; but when I go home and look in my textbook and watch YouTube videos, that's when it is much more interesting and I understand a lot more.

Yeah I see what you mean. None of my class seem bothered, wby?
Reply 8
Original post by joddcfc
Yeah I see what you mean. None of my class seem bothered, wby?

Everyone in my class complains as well.
Reply 9
Everyone in my class complains as well.

Fair enough, must be frustrating
Original post by joddcfc
Fair enough, must be frustrating

I can't even tell you.
You thought about doing economics without actually doing economics? I'll give you some advice. Firstly A-Levels and uni differ greatly. The econ in my university has a lot more maths and extra stuff than A-Level did. It's also a lot more mentally stimulating as well. Econ isn't just government policies and some other ****. It's a broad range of topics ranging from game theory to politics. Look at your course module list and see what moduels they offer and what you need to do. If you like it then great, if not choose one you do like.
Original post by Gatewaymerge
You thought about doing economics without actually doing economics? I'll give you some advice. Firstly A-Levels and uni differ greatly. The econ in my university has a lot more maths and extra stuff than A-Level did. It's also a lot more mentally stimulating as well. Econ isn't just government policies and some other ****. It's a broad range of topics ranging from game theory to politics. Look at your course module list and see what moduels they offer and what you need to do. If you like it then great, if not choose one you do like.

Yeah I would rather a economics degree which is much more mathematical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending