The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to smoke at your school/sixth form college?

I don't smoke myself, but other people in my school do and my school doesn't seem to mind too much. Personally, given they are pretty relaxed about students smoking, I don't think it sets much of an example to younger students or gives a very good impression of the school.

Is your sixth form college or school similarly chilled about it, or are they pretty strict on people smoking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ct998
I don't smoke myself, but other people in my school do and my school doesn't seem to mind too much. Personally, given they are pretty relaxed about students smoking, I don't think it sets much of an example to younger students or gives a very good impression of the school.

Is your sixth form college or school similarly chilled about it, or are they pretty strict on people smoking?
Your title is misleading. It is illegal to smoke on the premises of a school or similar institution because it goes against safeguarding protocol.
No you have to go out onto the street in you want to 👍🏼
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
Your title is misleading. It is illegal to smoke on the premises of a school or similar institution because it goes against safeguarding protocol.

If you are over 16 (which people will be in Sixth Form), then legally you can smoke but I don't really think you should be able to. Whether officially you are allowed to smoke in school I don't know but teachers just turn a blind eye.
No but teachers can.
Yes, there is a whole area in the courtyard designated for smoking which sucks because all the benches and nice seats are over there :frown:
Original post by ct998
If you are over 16 (which people will be in Sixth Form), then legally you can smoke but I don't really think you should be able to. Whether officially you are allowed to smoke in school I don't know but teachers just turn a blind eye.
You do because I've just told you: it's illegal. Which is why I said your title is misleading where it says "are you allowed to smoke at your school". Answer: no.
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
You do because I've just told you: it's illegal. Which is why I said your title is misleading where it says "are you allowed to smoke at your school". Answer: no.

A Leeds school didn't seem to care: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10387171/Leeds-school-allows-children-to-smoke-in-playground.html
Caring doesn't come into being "allowed" to do something. It's illegal!
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
Caring doesn't come into being "allowed" to do something. It's illegal!

My point was supposed to point out that be it illegal/not allowed some schools don't seem to enforce this rule too strictly. Also, purely out of interest, which law states that it is illegal - particularity if those smoking are over the legal age to do so?
Reply 10
Original post by retro_turtles
Yes, there is a whole area in the courtyard designated for smoking which sucks because all the benches and nice seats are over there :frown:

It's annoying, particularly if it causes problems for non-smokers! :unimpressed:
Original post by ct998
My point was supposed to point out that be it illegal/not allowed some schools don't seem to enforce this rule too strictly. Also, purely out of interest, which law states that it is illegal - particularity if those smoking are over the legal age to do so?
Well in future, you need to make the thread title more accurate then don't you. Does it matter?
Original post by ct998

My school doesn't allow it whatsoever.
Lmao no. After school the teachers hang around the nearest bus stops and the strip of shops nearby.
Original post by ct998
It's annoying, particularly if it causes problems for non-smokers! :unimpressed:

it does but its funny because there is always that group doing 'vape tricks'
Reply 15
Original post by 04MR17
Well in future, you need to make the thread title more accurate then don't you. Does it matter?

Well apologies if you found it misleading, that was not my intention. What would you suggest? The only reason I ask is because you frequently mentioned that it was 'illegal'.
Reply 16
Original post by _gcx
My school doesn't allow it whatsoever.

That the way it should be imo :yy:
Original post by ct998
Well apologies if you found it misleading, that was not my intention. What would you suggest? The only reason I ask is because you frequently mentioned that it was 'illegal'.
Because it is illegal! A number of risks to children: second-hand smoke, bad influence, give the school a poor image etc.

I would suggest: How strict is your school/college towards smokers?
Reply 18
Original post by 04MR17
Because it is illegal! A number of risks to children: second-hand smoke, bad influence, give the school a poor image etc.

I would suggest: How strict is your school/college towards smokers?

Repeatedly saying "it is illegal" doesn't make it a law. My question was not why should it be a law, it was what is the law? I mentioned many of the points you raised in my original post:

'Personally, given they are pretty relaxed about students smoking, I don't think it sets much of an example to younger students or gives a very good impression of the school.'

That said, whether it is legal or illegal is not relevant to my question.

My question was:

'Is your sixth form college or school similarly chilled about it, or are they pretty strict on people smoking?'

I agree, your thread title would work better in relation to the question but I don't think it let's me change it now. I would, if I could!

Thanks to everyone who responded, it seems like a couple of people had similar issues to me!
Original post by ct998
Repeatedly saying "it is illegal" doesn't make it a law. My question was not why should it be a law, it was what is the law? I mentioned many of the points you raised in my original post:

'Personally, given they are pretty relaxed about students smoking, I don't think it sets much of an example to younger students or gives a very good impression of the school.'

That said, whether it is legal or illegal is not relevant to my question.

My question was:

'Is your sixth form college or school similarly chilled about it, or are they pretty strict on people smoking?'

I agree, your thread title would work better in relation to the question but I don't think it let's me change it now. I would, if I could!

Thanks to everyone who responded, it seems like a couple of people had similar issues to me!
No. You are quite correct, Westminster legislation makes it law. Not me saying it on TSR. I can't quote the law exactly, but it is illegal to smoke on the premises of school sites. Smoking outside of the premises is not illegal, even two inches outside.

There is little point is saying what your question is when it should be in the title. I'm glad you prefer my version. But fundamentally, the question is your thread title: it governs the topic of discussion. Fortunately, this one had a simple solution. If you wish to receive more accurate responses, I suggest you create another thread with a more accurate title to what you want to know.

God day.

Quick Reply

Latest