The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by threeportdrift
You may not have liked ZippyRN's answer, but it was the truth. Universities use a service (ISP equivalent I guess) called JANET and it is designed for academic purposes, not gaming. If you dig through the small print on your accommodation/IT service/computing service contract or website you will find all the details.

If you want a better service than is required for academia, then you'll have to pay for it, the same way if you want better food than is served in halls you have to go somewhere else and pay for it.

No we can only pay for a higher amount of daily usage. I already paid for the maximum.

Original post by Luke7456
1. you should be focusing on studying not playing computer games
2. if it is that much of a deal get a decent wifi dongle
this should work unless you live in the middle of nowhere

3. not all games require internet

I'm guessing you've never been at university LOL

Nobody at all, does nothing but study at University. That's ridiculous, I live at my Uni, am I supposed to study 16 hours, then sleep, then repeat? No, so stop being so ignorant. You're saying I'm not allowed a hobby, how silly.

Rocket League does, and it's the only game I would like to play. Thanks for your misinformed reply.

Original post by 999tigger
No need to troll. Those are your options as I saw them based upon what you posted. Isnt there some form of uni society for gamers? Ask around and see what solutions they have found.

That was quite evidently a troll, nobody actually thinks like that. This uni doesn't have many gamers but yes they do and no nobody plays this game so nobody could help.
Original post by newttella
Get your own internet provider, it's not that expensive. If you can afford to live on overpriced university accommodation, you should be able to afford that. Good luck.

:facepalm:
Original post by 999tigger
No need to troll. Those are your options as I saw them based upon what you posted. Isnt there some form of uni society for gamers? Ask around and see what solutions they have found. If they only supply one service through their infrastructure, then its already been mentioned that you cna look into getting your own connection.

If it was so important for you in your choice of uni, then why didnt you check it out beforehand?

the only troll in this thread is the OP as part of #generationsnowflake where #firstworldproblems means he needs a #safespace with ultra fast internet
Original post by Zarek
There must be a gaming society you can join that has access to some insanely fast internet connectivity. Beyond this I would say focus your pent up energy on making some real friends and getting hammered in the SU.

"Real friends" yeah okay so talking over the phone you're not talking to real people yeah? LOL
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I'm sure this is not a problem for most students at the type of University I'm at, but I'm a gamer. In my spare time, I don't do much more than play games. Throughout the whole summer, I had started to even earn some money from these games.

Anyway, on to the point. In our University (that we live in), the wifi is bad. Really bad. I mean I can get 30 down and 15 up on a regular basis, but it's so incredibly inconsistent. I am unable to play any form of game that requires a constant sending/ recieving of data. It just lags consistently.

My only issue is, there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I'm supposed to just live with it. This is my main hobby, it's how I keep myself happy, so when you double the amount of revision I do a day, you better allow me some decent internet access. But they haven't, and I'm finding it incredibly hard to be productive because I'm always in a bad mood. Watching all my mates play games whilst I have to sit here and study, then when I finally get some free time I can't even join them.

I went to the IT office and they said it's to do with traffic, which is clearly a lie because I tried playing at 4:00am and it was still unplayable.

Why is this form of hobby not taken seriously? No university would ban people from reading books completely irrelevant to their course on their spare time, or playing a sport. In fact, they tend to encourage it. Yet my hobby, playing over the internet with friends, it given no recognision at all.

There has to be something I can do, I know as a fact I won't be able to cope for long like this, but of course I'm trying. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Hey,

Does your device (PC/laptop/desktop/phone/tablet) have wi-fi installed or is this over a wired connection?

If it has Wifi, does your phone get a good 3G/4G signal?

For the times that you need a more reliable connection, you could hook your phone up as tethering/portable wifi hotspot and use that for your gaming. It will consume your mobile data on your SIM plan though, so only do this when you have to.

University systems aren't really set up for gaming, as they would rather have people studying/make use of the system in more constructive ways.
Original post by zippyRN
the only troll in this thread is the OP as part of #generationsnowflake where #firstworldproblems means he needs a #safespace with ultra fast internet

I thought you said you were old HAHAHA xD

You've never had a hobby in your life? Wow, what a fun life you must have.
I'm sure this is not a problem for most students at the type of University I'm at, but I'm a gamer. In my spare time, I don't do much more than play games. Throughout the whole summer, I had started to even earn some money from these games.

Anyway, on to the point. In our University (that we live in), the wifi is bad. Really bad. I mean I can get 30 down and 15 up on a regular basis, but it's so incredibly inconsistent. I am unable to play any form of game that requires a constant sending/ recieving of data. It just lags consistently.

My only issue is, there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I'm supposed to just live with it. This is my main hobby, it's how I keep myself happy, so when you double the amount of revision I do a day, you better allow me some decent internet access. But they haven't, and I'm finding it incredibly hard to be productive because I'm always in a bad mood. Watching all my mates play games whilst I have to sit here and study, then when I finally get some free time I can't even join them.

I went to the IT office and they said it's to do with traffic, which is clearly a lie because I tried playing at 4:00am and it was still unplayable.

Why is this form of hobby not taken seriously? No university would ban people from reading books completely irrelevant to their course on their spare time, or playing a sport. In fact, they tend to encourage it. Yet my hobby, playing over the internet with friends, it given no recognision at all.

There has to be something I can do, I know as a fact I won't be able to cope for long like this, but of course I'm trying. Anyone been in a similar situation?

get a game with a good one player mode such as fallout 4 or gta 5??
No we can only pay for a higher amount of daily usage. I already paid for the maximum.

I'm guessing you've never been at university LOL

Nobody at all, does nothing but study at University. That's ridiculous, I live at my Uni, am I supposed to study 16 hours, then sleep, then repeat? No, so stop being so ignorant. You're saying I'm not allowed a hobby, how silly.

Rocket League does, and it's the only game I would like to play. Thanks for your misinformed reply.

That was quite evidently a troll, nobody actually thinks like that. This uni doesn't have many gamers but yes they do and no nobody plays this game so nobody could help.

i went to university before and could have done a lot better if I had not played computer games.
I recognize a computer game addict because I used to be one.
It ruined many years of my life before I learned self control.

Now I still play occasionally but can literally go months without thinking about it.

If I found I was getting a first and still had time to play computer games when I returned to university I probably would every now and then. However if I could not get on to a computer game I would just leave it not be so desperate to play that i got wound up this is typical traits of a gaming addict which is a serious addiction.

the way you are going on is an addict who risks playing computer games way to much instead of studying.

I've said my piece I am trying to study and listen to trumps rally. I ca't be bothered to argue this with you further if you want to throw away your degree then fair enough but I can see you are an addict and was mentioning out of concern.
Original post by spotify95
Hey,

Does your device (PC/laptop/desktop/phone/tablet) have wi-fi installed or is this over a wired connection?

If it has Wifi, does your phone get a good 3G/4G signal?

For the times that you need a more reliable connection, you could hook your phone up as tethering/portable wifi hotspot and use that for your gaming. It will consume your mobile data on your SIM plan though, so only do this when you have to.

University systems aren't really set up for gaming, as they would rather have people studying/make use of the system in more constructive ways.

Thanks for the very informative reply :smile:

Yeah I use a hotspot, managed to persuade my parents to pay for it, I feel bad but I have even less money than them spare xD

Yeah but how is having a hooby not constructive? I study 10 hours a day, it surprises me that this world thinks my hobby just isn't important. Some people enjoy getting drunk, and this Uni has in-College bars and party rooms to literally assist in people getting drunk. Yet they can't just let me have a reliable internet connection? Seems a little backward to me, seems like my hobby just isn't valued as much.
1. you should be focusing on studying not playing computer games
2. if it is that much of a deal get a decent wifi dongle
this should work unless you live in the middle of nowhere

3. not all games require internet

He's already gone over that. You don't need to spend 100% of your time just to study.
That isn't going to provide a sufficient speed...
Clearly the ones this guy wants to play do.

@OP - You really need to calm down, my goodness. You should have expected this problem really... It's quite obvious to foresee really and your ridiculous defensiveness in this thread is just giving gamers a bad image.
I thought you said you were old HAHAHA xD

You've never had a hobby in your life? Wow, what a fun life you must have.

trolling and ad homs is that the best you can do ?

Clubber Lang thinks you are a Foo' and ergo Pities you
Original post by john2054
get a game with a good one player mode such as fallout 4 or gta 5??

I don't enjoy them as much, I want to play this game, or I'll do other stuff.

i went to university before and could have done a lot better if I had not played computer games.
I recognize a computer game addict because I used to be one.
It ruined many years of my life before I learned self control.

Now I still play occasionally but can literally go months without thinking about it.

If I found I was getting a first and still had time to play computer games when I returned to university I probably would every now and then. However if I could not get on to a computer game I would just leave it not be so desperate to play that i got wound up this is typical traits of a gaming addict which is a serious addiction.

the way you are going on is an addict who risks playing computer games way to much instead of studying.

I've said my piece I am trying to study and listen to trumps rally. I ca't be bothered to argue this with you further if you want to throw away your degree then fair enough but I can see you are an addict and was mentioning out of concern.

LMAO. I'm studying at Cambridge - do you really think I got here by being a gaming addict? Stop with your generalising, I work very hard and just enjoy a couple hours of doing something I love a day, what's the problem with that? Addict = I must play all day every day. If I said my hobby was instead reading books, you wouldn't say "Oh no you're a book addict" so why judge this different?
Original post by zippyRN
trolling and ad homs is that the best you can do ?

Clubber Lang thinks you are a Foo' and ergo Pities you

You keep infering that I'm not allowed a hobby, why?
Original post by spotify95

no becasue they are set up for academic use as that is what JANET exists for, HEI attitudes towards casual and incidental none academic uses have soften cosiderably in the past 20 or so years ... in the mid -late 1990s you could recieve academic sanction for ANY none 'work ' related use within 'office' hours ...

LMAO. I'm studying at Cambridge - do you really think I got here by being a gaming addict? Stop with your generalising, I work very hard and just enjoy a couple hours of doing something I love a day, what's the problem with that? Addict = I must play all day every day. If I said my hobby was instead reading books, you wouldn't say "Oh no you're a book addict" so why judge this different?

or get a latest gaming system, and enjoy top game speeds, with minimum lag?!?
Original post by TorpidPhil
He's already gone over that. You don't need to spend 100% of your time just to study.
That isn't going to provide a sufficient speed...
Clearly the ones this guy wants to play do.

@OP - You really need to calm down, my goodness. You should have expected this problem really... It's quite obvious to foresee really and your ridiculous defensiveness in this thread is just giving gamers a bad image.

No my problem isn't that it was unexpected. It's that it's even a thing. Universities invest 100x more into helping students get drunk (bars, party rooms, drinks, all on site) than letting us play a game we enjoy with friends for a couple hours - does that not seem the slightest bit weird to you?
Original post by john2054
or get a latest gaming system, and enjoy top game speeds, with minimum lag?!?

Internet lag has nothing to do with processor speeds dude

well if your studying at cambridge good for you, work hard and make it count. Their is nothing wrong with playing computer games occasionally However when you get so wound up about not been able to play it appears as an addiction problem. If not then okay fair enough, but most people who are not addicted do not freak out if its taken away from them.

only you can know the truth but just be careful.

do you study maths btw?
Internet lag has nothing to do with processor speeds dude

No but generally speaking, xbone and piss poor games are much smoother than their master race equivalent. just saying
well if your studying at cambridge good for you, work hard and make it count. Their is nothing wrong with playing computer games occasionally However when you get so wound up about not been able to play it appears as an addiction problem. If not then okay fair enough, but most people who are not addicted do not freak out if its taken away from them.

only you can know the truth but just be careful.

do you study maths btw?

Nah I study Computer Science :biggrin:

I get wound up because I see investment into other hobbies, whilst I sit here not being able to persue mine. If nobody could do their hobbies, say everyone had to just give up fun for uni, then I wouldn't of got annoyed at all. Just seems silly that all other hobbies are covered and invested into :biggrin:

Latest