The Student Room Group

Proportions

Please answer this question:so I could know what i should write as an answer please the question is:
what proportion 15 is 5?
I wrote 3:1 but I think that is ratio.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Please answer this question:so I could know what i should write as an answer please the question is:
what proportion 15 is 5?
I wrote 3:1 but I think that is ratio.

A proportion is the equality of two given ratios. A ratio is an expression between two numbers (in your case, as you realized 3:1). Thus in contrast to a ratio, a proportion can be written in an algebraic equation. So I guess you have to write this equation down. *
So what is the answer?
So what is the answer?

Can you make an algebraic equation where this ratio matches? what is a proper equation for getting 15 multiplied by the triple factor?*
Original post by Kallisto
Can you make an algebraic equation where this ratio matches? what is a proper equation for getting 15 multiplied by the triple factor?*

I am not sure we did not do any algebraic equations in class we only started this topic on Thursday so we only had 1 lesson of it and we looked at basics.
I am not sure we did not do any algebraic equations in class we only started this topic on Thursday so we only had 1 lesson of it and we looked at basics.

I see.

So let me give you an exampleto give you a chance to find it out by your own in turn.

Say the proportion of 25 and 5 has to be find out, it would be: 5x = 25 => x = 5. In ratio it is 5:1. Got it?

Quick Reply

Latest