The Student Room Group

Tsp 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help with the initial form!

Can I just check that on the initial application (i.e. before any tests), you all have that "Job Details" page which asks you to select things like "competencies", and then you choose a response? For instance, for competencies you have to choose a number between 1 and 8? There are options for CV (which is a 'yes' 'no' choice), personal statement etc. as well...and selecting them creates new pages on the application form? For instance, selecting '8' under the competencies list creates a page with 8 boxes, and each one says the following just above it:
Give an example of when you have demonstrated this competencyNot to exceed 250 words
But it doesn't mention what the competency is? It just seems like a really odd way of designing an application form...what did you guys select? There are six competencies mentioned in the job description, so should I select six, and in each box write something like "this is for X competency"?
Reply 21
Original post by hapeaman
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help with the initial form!

Can I just check that on the initial application (i.e. before any tests), you all have that "Job Details" page which asks you to select things like "competencies", and then you choose a response? For instance, for competencies you have to choose a number between 1 and 8? There are options for CV (which is a 'yes' 'no' choice), personal statement etc. as well...and selecting them creates new pages on the application form? For instance, selecting '8' under the competencies list creates a page with 8 boxes, and each one says the following just above it:
Give an example of when you have demonstrated this competencyNot to exceed 250 words
But it doesn't mention what the competency is? It just seems like a really odd way of designing an application form...what did you guys select? There are six competencies mentioned in the job description, so should I select six, and in each box write something like "this is for X competency"?

There is some advice on the fb page about this. Think the page is included in error. They have said to
Just press save and continue.
Reply 22
Just taken the CSIST and achieved a percentile score of 88%. I have taken CSISTs previously but never this one. Last year was pitched at EO level but this one was H/SEO.
Sorry this is gonna sound silly but what the potato is all this seo ce/do or all these abbreviations?
Reply 24
Original post by Bobby1231
Sorry this is gonna sound silly but what the potato is all this seo ce/do or all these abbreviations?

They are civil service grades.
Original post by Sk80gse
They are civil service grades.

Okay I think I got the jist so level 1 2 and 3. Do you know what Level the tsp is?
Reply 26
Okay I think I got the jist so level 1 2 and 3. Do you know what Level the tsp is?

It's a bit different as its BAND T so a slightly different pay scale to most but upon completion you are promoted to Grade 7 which is the level above SEO (Senior executive officer)!
Original post by Sk80gse

It's a bit different as its BAND T so a slightly different pay scale to most but upon completion you are promoted to Grade 7 which is the level above SEO (Senior executive officer)!

Ooo fancy!
Are you applying for the position?
Reply 28
Ooo fancy!
Are you applying for the position?

Yes I've applied. Completed the first test the wait is on now for the sift after the closing date of 14/11.
Original post by Sk80gse
Yes I've applied. Completed the first test the wait is on now for the sift after the closing date of 14/11.

Good Luck! Hoping I make next stage as well! 14 November is such a long wait
Original post by Sk80gse
There is some advice on the fb page about this. Think the page is included in error. They have said to
Just press save and continue.

Ah thanks! I have just gone and had a look...I hadn't been on their facebook before...Now, though, I have a bit of a problem..I was playing around with it when I first opened the application and created lots of pages (for CV etc.) so now I can't remember what was there originally and what they actually want me to complete....oops...
Reply 31
Original post by hapeaman
Ah thanks! I have just gone and had a look...I hadn't been on their facebook before...Now, though, I have a bit of a problem..I was playing around with it when I first opened the application and created lots of pages (for CV etc.) so now I can't remember what was there originally and what they actually want me to complete....oops...

Think they said something generic like 'select'. You might need to get in touch with them perhaps it needs to be reset?
(edited 7 years ago)
Is everyone aware its fully icas now? As opposed to mostly in house with a few trialling icas this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by gingerwizard
Is everyone aware its fully icas now? Is opposed to mostly in house with a few trialling icas this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, what does this mean?
Reply 34
i applied last year for this and just filled in all my details to reapply again, however once i confirmed all my details it never gave me a chance to complete the sift test and is using my score from last year.. any other re-appliers find this too? not complaining to be fair, i got a really high score last year (somehow)! just concerned incase it's a mistake of some sort
Reply 35
Original post by Jell91
i applied last year for this and just filled in all my details to reapply again, however once i confirmed all my details it never gave me a chance to complete the sift test and is using my score from last year.. any other re-appliers find this too? not complaining to be fair, i got a really high score last year (somehow)! just concerned incase it's a mistake of some sort

Mmm not sure. Maybe if you completed and passed stage one minimum? The CSIST test itself was different. Last year was level 2 for EO grade and this years was level 3. I did read three would be no exceptions for taking the test so I would contact them.
Original post by Sk80gse
No, what does this mean?

As in they have scrapped the internal qualification as they have done for the past previous years, in house tutorials/tax qualification. Although i know a small group are trialling icas this year for the first time. Which is why i was surprised they were changing it all so that no tsp 17 entrant will have a choice and all will have to go through icas instead. Disappointing really.
Edit: To clarify the professional taxation man met pathway is no more and the ICAS, ITP to be specific, will be the new qualification all tsp will follow. Hope that clears things up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
As in they have scrapped the internal qualification as they have done for the past previous years, in house tutorials/tax qualification. Although i know a small group are trialling icas this year for the first time. Which is why i was surprised they were changing it all so that no tsp 17 entrant will have a choice and all will have to go through icas instead. Disappointing really.
Edit: To clarify the professional taxation man met pathway is no more and the ICAS, ITP to be specific, will be the new qualification all tsp will follow. Hope that clears things up.

Yes I understand. Not sure what my feelings are about this really. I'm happy to apply and come out with a HO role in all honesty. But if I gained a place would find it difficult to refuse of course. Just worried about the workload more than anything. I am not a new graduate. I have three young children and a husband who works away, so Obviously I want a work life balance that will allow me to a good mother. I left teaching for this reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sk80gse
Yes I understand. Not sure what my feelings are about this really. I'm happy to apply and come out with a HO role in all honesty. But if I gained a place would find it difficult to refuse of course. Just worried about the workload more than anything. I am not a new graduate. I have three young children and a husband who works away, so Obviously I want a work life balance that will allow me to a good mother. I left teaching for this reason.

For different reasons, but this is very much my concern/reason for disappoitment too. Doubt there will be many HO roles off the back of this given the HO manpower recruitment drive which I missed the deadline in applying too unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
For different reasons, but this is very much my concern/reason for disappoitment too. Doubt there will be many HO roles off the back of this given the HO manpower recruitment drive which I missed the deadline in applying too unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think there still could be. There have been numerous HO recruitments over the last few years even alongside TSP. My friend has recently secured a post and she tells me that there's going to be a recruitment drive shortly aswell. The Job advert did state that HO and O roles would be offered? In thinking positive anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest