The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good?

Ok, so I've been pondering this for quite some time now, how do my GCSE's fair, generally speaking? Are they good period? I seriously am not sure, I am a pessimist by nature, and so look on my results with nothing but the utmost disgust and contempt, but how are they to an unbiased sourse?
My GCSE's are as follows:
Religious Studies - A*
English Literature - A
English Language - A
Mathematics - A
History - A
Applied History - B
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
Media Studies - D
Product Design - E
Believe me, I know that the last few are terrible, seriously, they are outrageously horrible. My Media was originally a B, but due to one like of uncredited text from Wikipedia, I was considered to have plagiarised, and so was moved down two grades to a D. Product Dedign was an absolute joke, and taking it was the worst decision of my life. So tell me, good people of this community, how are my GCSE's, coming from an unbiased opinion (unlike mine)? Anyway, thank you for reading, and thank you for any (possible) replies.
Seems prefect-ably fine to me. Shame about the media though. You will be fine nice grades in maths and english
Original post by AnonymousEric
Ok, so I've been pondering this for quite some time now, how do my GCSE's fair, generally speaking? Are they good period? I seriously am not sure, I am a pessimist by nature, and so look on my results with nothing but the utmost disgust and contempt, but how are they to an unbiased sourse?
Religious Studies - A*
English Literature - A
English Language - A
Mathematics - A
History - A
Applied History - B
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
Media Studies - D
Product Design - E
Believe me, I know that the last few are terrible, seriously, they are outrageously horrible. My Media was originally a B, but due to one like of uncredited text from Wikipedia, I was considered to have plagiarised, and so was moved down two grades to a D. Product Dedign was an absolute joke, and taking it was the worst decision of my life. So tell me, good people of this community, how are my GCSE's, coming from an unbiased opinion (unlike mine)? Anyway, thank you for reading, and thank you for any (possible) replies.

They decent. A/A* in double science would have made them much better.
The last two are exceptions. Don't fret about things out of your control. At least now if you ever go to university or do any A-level assessments requiring referencing, you'll be on top of the game. About Product Design - that is 1 E? That isn't really that significant.

As for the other grades, you did very well on English which is impressive. It seems like you did well on maths but no so much on science. Maybe you're not a science-y person. That's fine. Well done on history and re though - that's impressive. Overall it is actually a good set of results. 8/10 GCSEs were A*-C and only 2/10 weren't so it's all cool.

Don't feel too disheartened. I did feel bad too after not reaching my potential. Just study what you like and take part in any opportunities presented to you - they will be useful for later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Epistemolog y
Seems prefect-ably fine to me. Shame about the media though. You will be fine nice grades in maths and english

Thanks, and yeah, the Media debacle was extremely unfortunate.
Original post by SM6
They decent. A/A* in double science would have made them much better.

Yeah I know, for some reason I've always been pretty poor at science, which is strange, considering my memory is quite good, I should I have put work in in year 10, if I had, I could have easily got an A in core science. Thanks.
Yeah I know, for some reason I've always been pretty poor at science, which is strange, considering my memory is quite good, I should I have put work in in year 10, if I had, I could have easily got an A in core science. Thanks.

Oh well, you still have good grades in other subjects.
Original post by Kiritsugu
The last two are exceptions. Don't fret about things out of your control. At least now if you ever go to university or do any A-level assessments requiring referencing, you'll be on top of the game. About Product Design - that is 1 E? That isn't really that significant.

As for the other grades, you did very well on English which is impressive. It seems like you did well on maths but no so much on science. Maybe you're not a science-y person. That's fine. Well done on history and re though - that's impressive. Overall it is actually a good set of results. 8/10 GCSEs were A*-C and only 2/10 weren't so it's all cool.

Don't feel too disheartened. I did feel bad too after not reaching my potential. Just study what you like and take part in any opportunities presented to you - they will be useful for later.

Thanks man, this gives me slightly more heart, and yeah you're right, I've always been quite poor at science. Product Design went to bad for me, it's not even worth thinking about, hair depressing at this stage. Only wish I had been smart in year 10, and actually studied for science.
Reply 8
You have an A in English Language and Maths, that's pretty much all that matters, so yes, your results are good :smile:
You've got great grades in English and Maths which are the main ones employers will be looking at. On CV's you can just say '7 A*-C GCSEs with A's in English and Maths' and they'll be none the wiser.

In terms of TSR they're not great, but don't worry because your A-levels are way more important.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You've got great grades in English and Maths which are the main ones employers will be looking at. On CV's you can just say '7 A*-C GCSEs with A's in English and Maths' and they'll be none the wiser.

In terms of TSR they're not great, but don't worry because your A-levels are way more important.

Thanks and yeah, indeed you are right. What is TSR though?
Thanks man, this gives me slightly more heart, and yeah you're right, I've always been quite poor at science. Product Design went to bad for me, it's not even worth thinking about, hair depressing at this stage. Only wish I had been smart in year 10, and actually studied for science.

You're welcome :smile: It was really helpful talking with you because there's someone in year 10 who I know who really struggles with science and this gives me the kind of "wake-up call" to go and help them. But yeah, I struggled in DT (prod.des) so I didn't take GCSE DT. Also, there's plenty of people who've went from B-D grades at GCSE to A*s at A-level - there's your chance to work hard and smart. Trust me, A-levels can be a good ride if you make it one. Prepare early for it as that will really help. You should research what A-levels is about if you're going to do it, and if you need pointers on preparation just ask here or whereever and I can try and point you in the right direction.
Original post by Gogregg
You have an A in English Language and Maths, that's pretty much all that matters, so yes, your results are good :smile:

Thank you.😃
Thanks and yeah, indeed you are right. What is TSR though?

TSR is The Student Room, this website. Soooo many people on here have like 6 A*'s, and it's not uncommon to find people with straight A*s.
Original post by Kiritsugu
You're welcome :smile: It was really helpful talking with you because there's someone in year 10 who I know who really struggles with science and this gives me the kind of "wake-up call" to go and help them. But yeah, I struggled in DT (prod.des) so I didn't take GCSE DT. Also, there's plenty of people who've went from B-D grades at GCSE to A*s at A-level - there's your chance to work hard and smart. Trust me, A-levels can be a good ride if you make it one. Prepare early for it as that will really help. You should research what A-levels is about if you're going to do it, and if you need pointers on preparation just ask here or whereever and I can try and point you in the right direction.

Thanks, and I will most certainly do so in the not-so-near future. I wish your friend all the best for his/her Science. Thank you for your help.
TSR is The Student Room, this website. Soooo many people on here have like 6 A*'s, and it's not uncommon to find people with straight A*s.

Yeah I know, it's so disheartening haha. How about you? How were yours?
Yeah I know, it's so disheartening haha. How about you? How were yours?

Pretty similar to yours, A*AAAABBBBCCC.

Often you'll get threads on here saying 'Are my GCSEs good?' and they'll be something like A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAB and I'll want to drive my head through a wall.

Often you'll get threads on here saying 'Are my GCSEs good?' and they'll be something like A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAB and I'll want to drive my head through a wall.

Yeah, I know the feeling man aha, and good job on yours, similar, but better than mine, at least I got same number of As and A*s as someone clearly smarter than me aha.

Those are my exact GCSE grades ignoring further maths GCSE :lol:

EDIT: I may have also asked that question before, just in the context of applying to medical school on the megathread :colondollar:
Religious Studies - A*
English Literature - A
English Language - A
Mathematics - A
History - A
Applied History - B
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
Media Studies - D
Product Design - E

Hey tbh they seem fine to me, as long as they got you onto the courses you want to do then your all good - my teachers have told me that's all GCSE's do get you on to your next courses so as long as they did your all good.

Another thing to measure it by is effort. Can you say you tried your best? If you can then your all good and it doesn't matter what grades you get as long as you tried your best and you enjoy what your doing now - a letter on a piece of paper doesn't define who you are 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest