The Student Room Group

How to link English Lit to Econ and Politics?

Im currently writing my personal statement and I have studied english lit but how do I link what I have learned in english lit to econ and politics? Help please xx
Original post by alevelssuck_
Im currently writing my personal statement and I have studied english lit but how do I link what I have learned in english lit to econ and politics? Help please xx

Have you not read anything that is to do with politics or economics? The former can be anything to do with monarchy in a Shakespearean play to the British Empire in Victorian literature. Or even education in something like a Dickens novel or dystopian novels like Handmaid's Tale or Animal Farm.

Economics could be something about The Great Depression in 1920s novels like in a Fitzgerald, Baldwin or Steinbeck novel. Or something like how economics ruined society in say, Trainspotting or American Psycho.

What are the texts you read in A-level? Surely you must of learned contextual background??
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Have you not read anything that is to do with politics or economics? The former can be anything to do with monarchy in a Shakespearean play to the British Empire in Victorian literature. Or even education in something like a Dickens novel or dystopian novels like Handmaid's Tale or Animal Farm.

Economics could be something about The Great Depression in 1920s novels like in a Fitzgerald, Baldwin or Steinbeck novel. Or something like how economics ruined society in say, Trainspotting or American Psycho.

What are the texts you read in A-level? Surely you must of learned contextual background??

Hmm yeah I get you but I wasnt looking to link it specifially with books we done. I was looking for something more simple as in like looking for deeper meaning of stuff etc.

The books we've done are Clockwork Orange, Never Let Me Go, Frankenstein, Yeats poems, Wuthering Heights, King Lear, Lyrical Ballads and Blakes Poetry "Songs of Innocence and Experience" So yeah of course I can link some political stuff to those but I dont want to use too much character on my personal statment explaining the idea behind what I said if that makes sense
If you want to make it more vague just say it broadened your essay writing skills, along with analytical judgements and critical readings.
Hmm yeah I get you but I wasnt looking to link it specifially with books we done. I was looking for something more simple as in like looking for deeper meaning of stuff etc.

The books we've done are Clockwork Orange, Never Let Me Go, Frankenstein, Yeats poems, Wuthering Heights, King Lear, Lyrical Ballads and Blakes Poetry "Songs of Innocence and Experience" So yeah of course I can link some political stuff to those but I dont want to use too much character on my personal statment explaining the idea behind what I said if that makes sense

You shouldn't waste any characters in your PS "linking" A level subjects to your university degree. The links are either obvious or tenuous - so either way a total waste of characters.

Save the space to talk more about your interests in the subject you're applying for.
Original post by abithefabby
If you want to make it more vague just say it broadened your essay writing skills, along with analytical judgements and critical readings.

That's pointing out the obvious. Admissions staff know English A level includes essay writing and critical reading without applicants pointing that out in their PS.

No you didn't make sense.

If you can't think of relating the subjects in the first place, then don't bother to try and pin point things just for the sake of it.

Just focus on something else instead.
Original post by PQ
You shouldn't waste any characters in your PS "linking" A level subjects to your university degree. The links are either obvious or tenuous - so either way a total waste of characters.

Save the space to talk more about your interests in the subject you're applying for.

I've already spoken about brexit, the trump and clinton election and the middle eastern problems in my intro and then I have a massive chunk on all my experience. I don't particularly need to focus on anything else as I would be cramming in too much hence the reason for me talking about what I gained from my A Level subjects in order to increase the character count.
I've already spoken about brexit, the trump and clinton election and the middle eastern problems in my intro and then I have a massive chunk on all my experience. I don't particularly need to focus on anything else as I would be cramming in too much hence the reason for me talking about what I gained from my A Level subjects in order to increase the character count.

Spend a couple of evenings looking at the specific course content in your choices - talking about what you're looking forward to studying in more detail is more compelling than pointing out the obvious.
Original post by PQ
Spend a couple of evenings looking at the specific course content in your choices - talking about what you're looking forward to studying in more detail is more compelling than pointing out the obvious.

Right so I made a couple changes to it but now it says I have 49 lines but I'm under 4,000 characters... What do I do?
Right so I made a couple changes to it but now it says I have 49 lines but I'm under 4,000 characters... What do I do?

Find some things to cut/tighten up your sentences/remove every "furthermore/nevertheless/additionally/in addition/however" and other wishy washy filler.

With blank lines between paragraphs you should be aiming at between 3,200 and 3,600 characters to fit within the 47 line limit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending