The Student Room Group

Who should I vote for?

I'm an eighteen year old American voting for the first time. I am currently undecided between the two major candidates:

- For the economy, I do not think either candidates match my wishes. I support free markets, lower welfare spending, trade deals that have been negotiated well. Trump opposes some of these traditional Republican economic policies. Clinton seems to agree with free markets more, unusual for a Democrat, but she still advocates a welfare state and I don't feel that she will negotiate good trade deals, looking at Obama's record. So I'm going to give a slight edge to Trump here.
- For education, I agree more with Clinton. Common core isn't as bad as people think, there is already enough choice for schools in my opinion and I think there is enough competition among schools.
- For healthcare, I don't really care that much but probably Clinton. I don't need to pay for healthcare since I'm covered under my dad's plan.
- For gun laws, I support Trump. I want the liberty of owning your own firearm and being able to protect yourself to be extended, not restricted, especially in my state (California), where they are already extremely strict. I also partake in a lot of recreational shooting and enter competitions. My parents don't own guns and are for more gun laws but I wish to purchase guns legally in the future
- Foreign policy, I completely disagree with Trump. Clinton has far more experience on this. I do think that she will able to defeat ISIS as I feel she is a lot stronger on the issue than Obama. However, I disagree with her Syrian refugee plan. Hopefully, the Senate could block that!
- For immigration, I support Trump. My parents came here legally from an Asian nation. They had a skill that they utilised here and contributed to society. However, illegals are a huge problem and we need to have a proper border to stop the drugs coming in. There is also the problem with refugees and immigration from hostile nations like Syria, Iraq etc.

So, as you can see, I am very undecided. I feel that Marco Rubio would have been the best candidate but he's gone so I am left with a tough choice. I am hoping to major in political science and am considering entering politics myself so politics and this election is very important to me.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cashcash871
I'm an eighteen year old American voting for the first time. I am currently undecided between the two major candidates:

- For the economy, I do not think either candidates match my wishes. I support free markets, lower welfare spending, trade deals that have been negotiated well. Trump opposes some of these traditional Republican economic policies. Clinton seems to agree with free markets more, unusual for a Democrat, but she still advocates a welfare state and I don't feel that she will negotiate good trade deals, looking at Obama's record. So I'm going to give a slight edge to Trump here.
- For education, I agree more with Clinton. Common core isn't as bad as people think, there is already enough choice for schools in my opinion and I think there is enough competition among schools.
- For healthcare, I don't really care that much but probably Clinton. I don't need to pay for healthcare since I'm covered under my dad's plan.
- For gun laws, I support Trump. I want the liberty of owning your own firearm and being able to protect yourself to be extended, not restricted, especially in my state (California), where they are already extremely strict. I also partake in a lot of recreational shooting and enter competitions so more freedom would be great.
- Foreign policy, I completely disagree with Trump. Clinton has far more experience on this. I do think that she will able to defeat ISIS as I feel she is a lot stronger on the issue than Obama. However, I disagree with her Syrian refugee plan. Hopefully, the Senate could block that!
- For immigration, I support Trump. My parents came here legally from an Asian nation. They had a skill that they utilised here and contributed to society. However, illegals are a huge problem and we need to have a proper border to stop the drugs coming in. There is also the problem with refugees and immigration from hostile nations like Syria, Iraq etc.

So, as you can see, I am very undecided. I feel that Marco Rubio would have been the best candidate but he's gone so I am left with a tough choice. I am hoping to major in political science and am considering entering politics myself so politics and this election is very important to me.

I feel like although both candidates are not ideal, Trump would be very dangerous with the nuclear codes and he doesn't really have respect for women. I would vote for neither if I didn't think there was actually a chance that Trump would win. So Hillary would be my choice. Building a wall will not solve the border problem tbh, It would cost too much money and time.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Building a wall will not solve the border problem tbh, It would cost too much money and time.

So having open borders, which is what Clinton wants, would be better?
Original post by Dodgypirate
So having open borders, which is what Clinton wants, would be better?

Both candidates don't have great solution, it's why they are both uninspiring and non-ideal candidates...
Original post by wolfmoon88
Both candidates don't have great solution, it's why they are both uninspiring and non-ideal candidates...

Yet you said you'd vote for Clinton.

Building a wall actually acknowledges immigration is a problem, which it is.

Opening the borders is just fuelling the problem, not fixing it.
Reply 5
I think you should go for Clinton. It's a tough choice for undecided voters but I feel like she has more experience in politics
Original post by Dodgypirate
Yet you said you'd vote for Clinton.

Building a wall actually acknowledges immigration is a problem, which it is.

Opening the borders is just fuelling the problem, not fixing it.

If I had to choose, I would vote for Hillary. But I am not American so...

And yes opening the borders will not solve the problem and might fuel the problem. Building a wall will not solve the problem.

Yes, more stringent border control is needed but that shouldn't be addressed by building an expensive wall (Mexico will not pay for it).
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay.
Whatever you do, don't.pick.Trump!
Both candidates are terrible.

Best option: pour petrol over the entirety of the US and set light to it.
Vote Trump because:

Voting Hillary = Voting Corrupt government+ Onset of Russian WW3

[video="youtube;qHQKeBaEIEY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHQKeBaEIEY[/video]

The more I research Clinton's the more I agree to this Russian video.

Also Putin's close ally knows Trump will talk with Russia and not turn backs like Clinton:
http://www.morningnewsusa.com/hillary-clinton-triggering-ww3-russia-wants-donald-trump-white-house-seat-23112077.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Dozens of former White House security experts, amongst other officials and public figures, have unanimously condemned Trump for being a threat to national security.

I could mention a slew of reasons as to why Donald Trump is unfit to be President, and for the sake of humanity's moral fibre should never reach any position in government, but here's one.
Gary Johnson
Original post by jamestg
Gary Johnson

Haha.

Aka: Geography Johnson.
Original post by JamesN88
Haha.

Aka: Geography Johnson.

His policies are good though, and that's the main thing...

Spoiler

Original post by 2016_GCSE
Vote Trump because:

Voting Hillary = Voting Corrupt government+ Onset of Russian WW3

[video="youtube;qHQKeBaEIEY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHQKeBaEIEY[/video]

The more I research Clinton's the more I agree to this Russian video.

Also Putin's close ally knows Trump will talk with Russia and not turn backs like Clinton:
http://www.morningnewsusa.com/hillary-clinton-triggering-ww3-russia-wants-donald-trump-white-house-seat-23112077.html

Do you think it's ok for Putin to covertly invade and annex his neighbour's territory unchallenged?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg
His policies are good though, and that's the main thing...

Spoiler

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6GdbYg0AFa4
Original post by JamesN88
Do you think it's ok for Putin to covertly invade and annex his neighbours territory unchallenged?

Well it's not hard. He got nuclear bunkers at the ready and nukes to launch. Russia is not playing games.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Well it's not hard. He got nuclear bunkers at the ready and nukes to launch. Russia is not playing games.

I asked if you thought it was ok.

Putin is no fool either. NATO is far stronger than Russia and we just need leaders with the political will to stand up to his expansionism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending