The Student Room Group

Which past papers to do first?

I would like to start doing some past papers for C3 as soon as possible, once I've finished learning the content. The sets of papers I want to complete before the exam in June are:

- Edexcel past papers (I'm doing Edexcel).
- Edexcel IAL papers
- Solomon papers
- IYGB papers
- Possibly a few AQA/OCR papers

My question is: Which papers should I start off doing first? The Solomon and IYGB papers are notoriously more difficult than the Edexcel papers so I'm wondering whether it would be better to do these before or after...

I'm thinking about this from a psychological perspective- if you go from "easy" to hard, then you can gradually build up your skills and knowledge as the difficulty increases.

But if you go from hard to "easy", then it can be argued that if you can do the hardest papers, the less difficult papers should definitely be doable.

Thoughts?

(Btw I know I don't need to do so many past papers, but I want to. I'd rather do too many than too little.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I would like to start doing some past papers for C3 as soon as possible, once I've finished learning the content, and the sets of papers I want to complete before the exam in June are:

- Edexcel IAL papers
- Solomon papers
- IYGB papers

My question is: Which papers should I start off doing first? The Solomon and IYGB papers are notoriously more difficult than the Edexcel papers so I'm wondering whether it would be best to do these before or after...

I'm thinking about this from a psychological perspective- if you go from "easy" to hard, then you can gradually build up your skills and knowledge as the difficulty increases.

But if you go from hard to "easy", then it can be argued that if you can do the hardest papers, the less difficult papers should definitely be doable.

Thoughts?

(Btw I know I don't need to do so many past papers, but I want to. I'd rather do too many than too little.)

Past papers first, but save some of the latest ones for around exam time or later in the year at least. Solomon papers aren't much more difficult, for c1 and c2 they were, but for c3 and c4 I found them about the same, sometimes easier, do them at the same time you're doing past papers, maybe alternating between solomon and past paper.

Some of AQA and OCR c3 stuff is in Edexcel C4, i'd say if you really want to do them, do it earlier, but skip the C4 stuff for now.

Do IAL papers and IYGB a bit closer to the exam date, because IAL is both C3 and C4 .
Reply 2
I would like to start doing some past papers for C3 as soon as possible, once I've finished learning the content. The sets of papers I want to complete before the exam in June are:

- Edexcel IAL papers
- Solomon papers
- IYGB papers

My question is: Which papers should I start off doing first? The Solomon and IYGB papers are notoriously more difficult than the Edexcel papers so I'm wondering whether it would be better to do these before or after...

Thoughts?

I started slowly going through the IYGB papers first, and when it got closer to exams I went through the Solomons and then right before exams did the Edexcel ones. The IYGB papers start off slightly easier, then gradually get harder so you kind of end up doing harder and harder papers without realising that much. I left the Solomon ones until closer as the questions are a bit more similar to those in the normal papers.

There are also Elmwood papers that look slightly harder than Solomon papers, so maybe they might be better than papers from other exam boards as the content might be slightly different in other boards (some things that are C4 for Edexcel are C3 in other boards).
Original post by NotNotBatman
Past papers first, but save some of the latest ones for around exam time or later in the year at least. Solomon papers aren't much more difficult, for c1 and c2 they were, but for c3 and c4 I found them about the same, sometimes easier, do them at the same time you're doing past papers, maybe alternating between solomon and past paper.

Some of AQA and OCR c3 stuff is in Edexcel C4, i'd say if you really want to do them, do it earlier, but skip the C4 stuff for now.

Do IAL papers and IYGB a bit closer to the exam date, because IAL is both C3 and C4 .

why is that though? That baffles me. (in bold)
Original post by MajorFader
why is that though? That baffles me. (in bold)

I don't know, probably because differentiation and integration should be together. If you're sitting the Edexcel exam, in my opinion, it's better to practise Edexcel papers closer to the exam, rather than other exam boards papers.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I don't know, probably because differentiation and integration should be together. If you're sitting the Edexcel exam, in my opinion, it's better to practise Edexcel papers closer to the exam, rather than other exam boards papers.

Really don't know why exam boards mix up their modules between each other...

- Edexcel IAL papers
- Solomon papers
- IYGB papers

Thoughts?

May also like to try the past papers that will be on my website: www.crashmaths.com/a-level-practice-papers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest