The Student Room Group

Philosophy Applicants 2017

Thought a philosophy applicants thread might be nice to get up and posted to talk and see who else is applying for the course and when they've got offers etc.

Name/Location: I'm Nathan From Coventry
GCSE's: 2A* 7A 2B
AS Level: AAAA in Maths, Biology, Religious Studies & General Studies
A2 Prediction: A*A*A in Biology, Religious Studies and Maths respectively
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology joint (VV56)
Universities Applying For: Oxford (Oriel), St Andrews, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham

I'll try to keep updated and see which universities are giving out philosophy offers and add it to edits of this in the future.

Good Luck Everyone!

My Application:
Oxford- Rejection
St Andrews- AAA conditional offer (Firm Choice)
Durham- AAA conditional offer
Exeter- AAB conditional offer
Birmingham- ABB conditional offer/ unconditional if firmed (Insurance Choice)

Offers being given out:

Birmingham
Nottingham
Manchester
Bristol
Sheffield
Southampton
Newcastle
Warwick
UCL
St Andrews
KCL
Exeter
Oxford
Lancaster
Durham
Cambridge
Southampton
Stirling
Edinburgh
Lancaster
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello!!

Name/Location: Chris, Lancashire

GCSE's: 6A* 6A

AS Level: AAABC in Maths, English lit, creative writing, chemistry and RS (resitting that though)

A2 Prediction: A*AA in English lit, Religious Studies and Maths

Course: Philosophy & Theology

Universities Applying For: Oxford as well! (but St Peter's), Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham

Good luck to you too 🎈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!

Name/Location: Goat, Farm
GCSE's: 3A* 4A 2B
AS Level: AAAB in Religious Studies, Politics, English Literature, Maths (not too shabby after having to miss a third of Year 12...)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A in Religious Studies, Politics, English Literature
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Politics
Universities Applying For: Durham, St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester

It's so scarily close now, I just want my offers to be in already :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
Hello!

Name/Location: Goat, Farm
GCSE's: 3A* 4A 2B
AS Level: AAAB in Religious Studies, Politics, English Literature, Maths (not too shabby after having to miss a third of Year 12...)
A2 Prediction: A*AA in Religious Studies, Politics, English Literature
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Politics
Universities Applying For: Durham, LSE, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester

It's so scarily close now, I just want my offers to be in already :frown:

I know, I had 2 emails from St Andrews today and had mini heart attacks when I saw both, doing my nerves no favours at all- especially when my school submitted the application less than a day before the 15th Oct deadline.

Original post by camusery
Hello!!

Name/Location: Chris, Lancashire

GCSE's: 6A* 6A

AS Level: AAABC in Maths, English lit, creative writing, chemistry and RS (resitting that though)

A2 Prediction: A*AA in English lit, Religious Studies and Maths

Course: Philosophy & Theology

Universities Applying For: Oxford as well! (but St Peter's), Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham

Good luck to you too 🎈

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw on the Theology thread you already have 3 offers, that's crazy man well done. As soon as the weekend is over I'll be checking track like there's no tomorrow.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by NMcG
I saw on the Theology thread you already have 3 offers, that's crazy man well done. As soon as the weekend is over I'll be checking track like there's no tomorrow.

thanks pal, I still can't quite believe it. Every time I get an email from Track I get so nervous it's ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks pal, I still can't quite believe it. Every time I get an email from Track I get so nervous it's ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 offers already is amazing! well done! when did you apply and what are your offers if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 6
3 offers already is amazing! well done! when did you apply and what are your offers if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks so much! I applied on the 28th and it took just over a week to get the first offer through :0 the other two came at the end of this week. no problem, I got these--
Nottingham: AAB
Manchester: ABB
Birmingham: unconditional

... I'm still in total shock about Birmingham, no idea how I did it?! I keep reading it thinking have they made a mistake lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much! I applied on the 28th and it took just over a week to get the first offer through :0 the other two came at the end of this week. no problem, I got these--
Nottingham: AAB
Manchester: ABB
Birmingham: unconditional

... I'm still in total shock about Birmingham, no idea how I did it?! I keep reading it thinking have they made a mistake lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow that's incredible! do you know what you want your firm and insurance to be then?
Reply 8
Sent off my application on the 14th for philosophy at Cambridge, Southampton, Hertfordshire, Sheffield, Exeter. Predicted A*A*A in politics, religious studies and maths respectively.
Already received emails from 3 of them. From what I've read on TSR it should take about a week for a decision to be made on my application. I keep stressing about errors on my ucas though!
Reply 9
Original post by Otaku98
Sent off my application on the 14th for philosophy at Cambridge, Southampton, Hertfordshire, Sheffield, Exeter. Predicted A*A*A in politics, religious studies and maths respectively.
Already received emails from 3 of them. From what I've read on TSR it should take about a week for a decision to be made on my application. I keep stressing about errors on my ucas though!

Same, personal statement was a killer for me as I had so much I wanted to write about, just stressing over my written work submission & admissions test now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not gonna lie, I was fairly happy with my personal statement when I sent it off, school seemed pretty pleased, but last week when I had a mock interview through school my interviewer said he didn't like it because there was too much in there? didn't realise that was possible so now I'm a bit anxious about what Oxford will think :s aaand I have no idea what to do for the written work and admissions test either ...

wow that's incredible! do you know what you want your firm and insurance to be then?

Not a clue (still overwhelmed) probably going to wait until the last minute before I make any decisions :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

Name/Location: Liv from London
GCSE's: 2A* 2A 4B
AS Level: B in RS (3 marks of an A) and a C in Politics, v disappointing. B in English mocks.
A2 Prediction: At the moment it is A*BB, in RS, Politics and English respectively. Looking to get English upped to an A.
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology
Universities Applying For: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham.

Good luck everyone, it seems I am a bit of an underdog in terms of predicted grades here.
Reply 12
Original post by jonahfromtonga
Hi everyone

Name/Location: Liv from London
GCSE's: 2A* 2A 4B
AS Level: B in RS (3 marks of an A) and a C in Politics, v disappointing. B in English mocks.
A2 Prediction: At the moment it is A*BB, in RS, Politics and English respectively. Looking to get English upped to an A.
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology
Universities Applying For: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham.

Good luck everyone, it seems I am a bit of an underdog in terms of predicted grades here.

Your predictions are still top 10-20% ☺️ I wouldn't worry at all. Plus it's what you do once you get to uni that really matters!
Original post by NMcG
Thought a philosophy applicants thread might be nice to get up and posted to talk and see who else is applying for the course and when they've got offers etc.

Name/Location: I'm Nathan From Coventry
GCSE's: 2A* 7A 2B
AS Level: AAAA in Maths, Biology, Religious Studies & General Studies
A2 Prediction: A*A*A in Biology, Religious Studies and Maths respectively
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology joint (VV56)
Universities Applying For: Oxford (Oriel), St Andrews, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham

I'll try to keep updated and see which universities are giving out philosophy offers and add it to edits of this in the future.

Good Luck Everyone!

Offers being given out:

Birmingham
Nottingham
Manchester

Also applying to Oriel for P&T!

Name/Location: Hope from Portsmouth
GCSE's: 6A*4A
AS Level: AAB in Religious Studies, Psychology and Biology respectively
A2 Prediction: A*A*A in RS, Psych and Bio
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology at Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else
Universities Applying For: Oxford (Oriel), Bristol, Birmingham, UCL, Edinburgh
Offers: AAA from Bristol, Unconditional from Birmingham
Reply 14
Original post by hope0livia
Also applying to Oriel for P&T!

Name/Location: Hope from Portsmouth
GCSE's: 6A*4A
AS Level: AAB in Religious Studies, Psychology and Biology respectively
A2 Prediction: A*A*A in RS, Psych and Bio
Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology at Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else
Universities Applying For: Oxford (Oriel), Bristol, Birmingham, UCL, Edinburgh
Offers: AAA from Bristol, Unconditional from Birmingham

Ayy, how're you prepping for the PHIL test? I'm worried I'll run out of time lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NMcG
Ayy, how're you prepping for the PHIL test? I'm worried I'll run out of time lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahah same here, I tried to do the paper on the website timed the other day but ran out, so my teacher's going to write a couple of mock questions for me to have a go at before the 2nd. Apart from that, just frantically reading!
How about you, are you prepared, cus I know I'm not :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by hope0livia
Ahah same here, I tried to do the paper on the website timed the other day but ran out, so my teacher's going to write a couple of mock questions for me to have a go at before the 2nd. Apart from that, just frantically reading!
How about you, are you prepared, cus I know I'm not :frown:

I haven't spent too much time thinking about it tbh, I'm going to have a go at the sample over half-term. I think the key is staying on topic & being as concise as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
GCSE's - 9 A*, 2 A , 1 B
A Levels - 4 A* ( summer 2016)
Courses Applying to - P & T Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else.
Universities applying to - Oxford ( St Peters), Bristol, Exeter, UCL.

Waiting to hear......
Hi

GCSE's: 10A*
AS Level: AAA in Maths, Further Maths, RS. UMS average: ~93UMS
A2 Prediction: A*A*A* in Maths, RS and Economics
Course Applying For: Philosophy
Universities Applying For: Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol

Offers: Bristol- AAA, Durham- AAA, UCL- AAA

Still waiting for LSE and Cambridge
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chocsaway
GCSE's - 9 A*, 2 A , 1 B
A Levels - 4 A* ( summer 2016)
Courses Applying to - P & T Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else.
Universities applying to - Oxford ( St Peters), Bristol, Exeter, UCL.

Waiting to hear......

Why not Philosophy at Cambridge? Are you just extremely attracted to Oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest