The Student Room Group

do i need permission to use someone as a reference??

do i need permission to use someone as a reference?
ive contacted my college teachers multiple times to no reply, dont know if their emails have changed or if they have left..
can i just put them down?
Reply 1
Original post by subzero6661
do i need permission to use someone as a reference?
ive contacted my college teachers multiple times to no reply, dont know if their emails have changed or if they have left..
can i just put them down?

If you can't get in contact with them, how will the employer get the reference?
Reply 2
idk? but i cant even apply for jobs if i cant fill in the reference field so what do i do?
Reply 3
idk? but i cant even apply for jobs if i cant fill in the reference field so what do i do?

You might as well make up some details then if all you care about is a box being filled in.

You will be able to apply using an incorrect reference, but you won't actually be able to start a job. If somewhere is asking for reference details that's because they want to contact the referee and obtain a reference. So if they can't get a reference you won't get a start date, and you'll look silly when they've tried repeatedly to contact the referee and had no reply.

You need to choose a different person to give a reference
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
You might as well make up some details then if all you care about is a box being filled in.

You will be able to apply using an incorrect reference, but you won't actually be able to start a job. If somewhere is asking for reference details that's because they want to contact the referee and obtain a reference. So if they can't get a reference you won't get a start date, and you'll look silly when they've tried repeatedly to contact the referee and had no reply.

You need to choose a different person to give a reference

i have nobody... otherwise i would use them...
i have nobody... otherwise i would use them...

You must have left a good impression on someone at some point.
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Write N/a for references

don't bother writing anything at all .

in termso f using previous educational establishments as a reference have you actually tried contactign the adminstration of the organisation in question to find out if the staff member is still there ...

even if they aren;t there the organisation may be able to provide a reference acknowleding you exist, you did attend the institituon, confirming results and attendance etc ... which is what a lot of the 'standardised' and 'safe' references provided by Adminstrative or HR functions do even for quite senior jobs ...
And what exactly do you expect to happen when the employer asks after references?
They put the reference section there for a reason.
Original post by Emma:-)
And what exactly do you expect to happen when the employer asks after references?
They put the reference section there for a reason.

Find a reference
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Find a reference

Why dont you just find a reference and put it on the form when they ask you in the first place then??
Original post by Emma:-)
Why dont you just find a reference and put it on the form when they ask you in the first place then??

Because you might not have anyone in mind as a reference before that stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending