The Student Room Group

going to work after being sedated?

so on monday i have an hospital appointment at 9am to have a camera put down me. i'm going to be sedated but work won't let me have the day off and i'm meant to start at 3pm. just wondering if anyone has been sedated before and would i be able to work afterwards? it's only a 5 hour shift and i work in retail thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
so on monday i have an hospital appointment at 9am to have a camera put down me. i'm going to be sedated but work won't let me have the day off and i'm meant to start at 3pm. just wondering if anyone has been sedated before and would i be able to work afterwards? it's only a 5 hour shift and i work in retail thanks :smile:

Ask at the hospital how long it lasts. You cna make up your own mind if it will pose difficulties at work i.e dont be put in charge of machinery or anything that requires anything delicate etc. They might sya you are perfectly fine serving in a shop or whatever your duties involve.

While in theory you might be able to do it, I wouldn't recommend it. You definitely shouldn't be operating any machinery or anything like that. Ask the doctor if you'll be okay to go to work on the same day, and see what they say. Does your work know that you're going to be sedated and everything, and that it isn't just a regular appointment? The sedatives take hours and hours to wear off. Depending on the one they use, you could be feeling effects for up to 24 hours. They really should be giving you the day off!
Reply 3

You certinally should not be driving yourself and should not operate any machienary. I would have thought that sedation is a legitimate reason to miss work and you can get a note from the hospital.
You could well feel dizzy and sick for the next day. I would suggest you try to avoid work.

I was kept in hospital longer than that for anesthetic before because I was still feeling the effects.
It's normally advised that your rest for the remainder of the day following conscious sedation. You'll be expected to have a responsible adult with you for the entire day to keep an eye on you as well.
Original post by moonkatt
It's normally advised that your rest for the remainder of the day following conscious sedation. You'll be expected to have a responsible adult with you for the entire day to keep an eye on you as well.

PRSOM

I presume the OP's employer would be happy to not worry aobut any errors or the till being down if they are tryign to force the OP to work on the day of a procedure with sedation.
Reply 6
i wouldn't be driving myself anyway (i'd get a lift) or using any machinary apart from a till, i'd just be serving customers
i wouldn't be driving myself anyway (i'd get a lift) or using any machinary apart from a till, i'd just be serving customers

Does your employer know that you'll be getting sedated earlier on in the day? Would your employer let you work if you were drunk or high?
Reply 8
Does your employer know that you'll be getting sedated earlier on in the day? Would your employer let you work if you were drunk or high?

it's not that they want me to work whilst sedated, more than they've basically said "but we need you" and have hinted that i cancel the appointment (which i won't do as i've paid to have the procedure soon as before the earliest they could do it was april next year) and i know that if i don't go in then they'll get really funny with me and treat it like a 'sick' day
it's not that they want me to work whilst sedated, more than they've basically said "but we need you" and have hinted that i cancel the appointment (which i won't do as i've paid to have the procedure soon as before the earliest they could do it was april next year) and i know that if i don't go in then they'll get really funny with me and treat it like a 'sick' day

This is something you need to sort out with your employer. Advice given is to rest after having conscious sedation for procedures like the one you're having, it's given for a reason as you could still be experiencing the effects of the sedatives. This is why people are told not to drive or operate heavy machinery, as it could lead to them or someone else being harmed. It's why people are told not to sign legal documentation, as they may lack capacity. It's up to you what you do, in the end, but what I'm saying is what the NHS advise and they give this advice for a reason.

PRSOM

have you spoken to a grown up about it rather than some spotty fewckwit who thinks being a team leader/ assistant manager / duty manager makes them god ?

Quick Reply

Latest