The Student Room Group

what does your college id card do?

so far my lanyard is able to...

help me get into buildings (supposed to)

add cash to college cash machine which I pay for food

pays for the food I buy for lunch

i think you can use it for the gym membership

use it as student id

use it as evidence I'm me when using it for assignments

log on to the student computers

draw out books fromt he student library

get lost

break easily

proves I am not a terrorist

what does your student lanyard do? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bizzy_penguin
so far my lanyard is able to...

help me get into buildings (supposed to)

add cash to college cash machine which I pay for food

pays for the food I buy for lunch

i think you can use it for the gym membership

use it as student id

use it as evidence I'm me when using it for assignments

log on to the student computers

draw out books fromt he student library

get lost

break easily

proves I am not a terrorist

what does your student lanyard do? :smile:

Same as yours.
Just shows how important one card is.
I also use mine for free coach serivce - show your ID to your bus driver
Original post by ak143244
Same as yours.
Just shows how important one card is.
I also use mine for free coach serivce - show your ID to your bus driver

ah I forgot about that - mine did that too, but I stopped using the bus because the bus driver kept missing my stopped so now I cycle :smile:
tbf I don't think we even had to show our id to the bus driver - it just had to be round our necks (we have a separte card for buses)
Entrance to the college
Printing
Exams
To use college textbooks like bring them home
Log on to college computers
Prove my eligibility for Child fare on public transport
It's just there for identity for when the Nazis take back over.
lol, yes they can cause a lot of problems... our college threatons you pay £5 to pay for a temporary student card for campus so we don' forget - unfortunately we have to wear them at all times its a good thing they aren't itchy
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's just there for identity for when the Nazis take back over.

lol, we have student police monitoring people wearing id badges, if not we're meant to tell security (student reception...:biggrin:)
i use it to:
enter the college
enter certain parts of the college
print/photocopy work
get books from the library
get student discount when shopping
Entrance to college and Pay for stuff mainly, i mean we don't have lanyards (i kinda wish we did) but everything else is sorted out via the colleges 'Intranet' system... yes its spelt that way.
To enter and exit. I think you can use it to buy food too, but I've never bought anything from the canteen. In my old college it was to enter and exit the main entrance and the library and use the printer, again not sure if you could buy food with it, I'm not even sure where the canteen was.
Original post by retro_turtles
Entrance to college and Pay for stuff mainly, i mean we don't have lanyards (i kinda wish we did) but everything else is sorted out via the colleges 'Intranet' system... yes its spelt that way.

You do understand the differences between Intranet, Internet and Extranet don't you ... ?

while not currently a student Access Control / identity / login to secure services is a fairly standard set of functions of an organisational ID card...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
You do understand the differences between Intranet, Internet and extranet don't you ... ?

clearly not
Original post by retro_turtles
clearly not

an intranet is a system using internet methodolgies which is designed for use within the organisation , either entirely within the site(s) or perhaps allowing access for staff / students etc from outside to access services / settle accounts or load funds ( which in the case of college may well be stuff like printing credit, catering credit etc etc etc )
(edited 7 years ago)
thats interesting - my college is a FE college which is why we probably have to wear them since we no long wear uniform, though I think we have to have them updated each year...
Original post by NotNotBatman
To enter and exit. I think you can use it to buy food too, but I've never bought anything from the canteen. In my old college it was to enter and exit the main entrance and the library and use the printer, again not sure if you could buy food with it, I'm not even sure where the canteen was.

how did you last without not using the canteen??? :smile:
``groan``, at my previous sixth form we were locked out of the building & eventually the card system got evicted because it was affecting people's bursaries as it didn't sign people in properly..
Original post by bizzy_penguin
how did you last without not using the canteen??? :smile:
``groan``, at my previous sixth form we were locked out of the building & eventually the card system got evicted because it was affecting people's bursaries as it didn't sign people in properly..

Went home to eat or subway. There 3 days where I was home around lunch time, so it wasn't much of a problem.
That happened in secondary, they introduced cards along with a new building, but it never registered, so it was only used for lunch. Rarely happened in college though, but when it did happen the security wouldn't let you through and I was scared that it would happen on an exam day.
Did u show ur ID to the bus driver and they just let u on ?
How did u find your landyard I have lost mine and i cannot find it.
Identification and security
Getting i and out of the school during the day cause the gates are locked.
Original post by Chronoscope

get lost

Sane and I cant find it

Latest

Trending

Trending