The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Buggy8000
Will answers or solutions for the specimen NSAA be released?

Thank you

Section 1 has been already. It's on the subject entry requirements page
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/nsaa_s1_specimen_explained_answers.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Overses
So do the time stamps contain the actual time or just a valid/ invalid sign? If it contains the time, does CAO throw out all the ones after 18UK even tho UCAS might deem them as valid if just a few minutes late?

CAO doesn't throw any applications out, they are all passed on to colleges who reject invalid applications. A time stamp is a time stamp!
Original post by ahistorianargues
I am applying for History and Politics at Queens' college. When is the deadline for the admission essays to be submitted and where I could find the cover page?

You'll need to ask Queens' that, I'm afraid. I'm not sure why you think I'd know the internal deadlines and administrative documents of all the other colleges! :smile:
Original post by Rachel58
Hi :smile: With regards to submitted History written work, one of the essays I'm submitting wasn't set by my teacher - I chose to do it for revision, then got it marked - what should she write for date of completion, type of essay (e.g. homework) and time given to complete?

She should write the date it was completed, that it was a revision essay and probably n/a for the time given.
Original post by Strimpy
Hi sorry to ask another question in such quick succession, it's about the HAA again

How much are applicants expected to write for section 2, I know there are 8 pages given but I'm a bit worried I won't be able to produce that much given the time limit plus the amount of points I can actually think of. Will you get penalised for not writing enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We actually had quite a discussion about the length of the booklet! :smile: Our assessment was that most students write around 4 sides of A4 in an hour in tripos exams. Given the reading you will have to do in he assessment for section 2, you will be writing for less than an hour so 4 sides should be sufficient for the majority of students. Making it 8 sides allows for those who write more and for those who write double-spaced.
Original post by Oceana Liang
Sorry I have one more question. How important is the economics pre-interview assessment on a scale of 1-10 ? If I do really bad at it, I'm afraid I would have no chance of being invited to an interview at all.

I get UMS300 in my maths, UMS 282 in further maths. And predicted 3 A*s in maths further maths and economics

You won't be disadvantaged by not having GCSEs. Have a look at a post from yesterday when I discussed the way assessments will be used. They aren't going to be used in isolation to decide anything. We aren't going to ignore strong performance elsewhere in favour of just looking at the assessment.
Original post by h3110
What are Cambridge uni's views on people applying to do a 2nd undergrad degree?

We welcome affiliated students.
Original post by Forecast
Does this apply to at-interview assessments as well? I found the 'sample questions' for the CSAT to be quite a lot easier than the real ones when I applied last year.

Yes. What one person regards as harder or easier is very dependent on their experience and knowledge. The specimens are designed to be reflective of the difficulty of the actual assessment - it would be counterproductive for them to be otherwise.
Reply 608
Hi Dr Spencer!

Sorry for asking another question - I'm sure that you are probably really busy now after the UCAS deadline, and I really appreciate your time!

I've read that CIE PUMs are treated differently to UMS data - is this a university-wide view (so all ATs know about it), or just specific to some colleges? Is this worth mentioning in the "additional information" section?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by pompilius
Hi, sorry for bothering you again! I have a few more questions about filling in the COPA:
1) I've entered AP classes and the corresponding AP exam qualifications separately in the topics section, but (for example) my English Lit class and English Lit AP share the same topics. Would something to the effect of 'see above' be acceptable, or would it be better to copy and paste the topics?
2) Should I write about self-studying for AP exams in the A3.1 additional information section, if I've already mentioned this in my PS and the class sizes in E3.1 for those exams are 1?
3) I've recently received school awards in History and essay-writing (applying for History). Is this worth putting in additional information? It's not a particularly impressive achievement.
4) Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but is it okay to smile in the COPA/SAQ photo? I don't want to seem too happy and not serious enough..

Thanks, and all the best with the incoming applications cycle!

Apologies for brevity of this but 1) copy and paste; 2) no, I don't think so; 3) yes, mentions these; 4) yes, you can smile!
Original post by qwertyuiop1998
Would having further maths at only AS level but not A Level be a disadvantage applying for physics nat sci?

Thanks

We'll obviously look closely at your results in those exams you have taken and that will be more important than the difference between AS and the full A level in FM but most A level candidates will be taking the full A2.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
4) yes, you can smile!

I think it might be worth the photo spec page saying this. And also noting that the photo will be used on their University Card for the duration of the course, so make it a good one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Buggy8000
Will answers or solutions for the specimen NSAA be released?

Thank you

Section 1 is on the website - no plans as far as I know for section 2 answers to be released.
Original post by jneill
I think it might be worth the photo spec page saying this. And also noting that the photo will be used on their University Card for the duration of the course, so make it a good one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A good point!
Original post by dyuunn
Hi Dr Spencer!

Sorry for asking another question - I'm sure that you are probably really busy now after the UCAS deadline, and I really appreciate your time!

I've read that CIE PUMs are treated differently to UMS data - is this a university-wide view (so all ATs know about it), or just specific to some colleges? Is this worth mentioning in the "additional information" section?

Thank you :smile:

All ATs know about it so I don't think there's any need to mention it.
I'm filling my details for SAQ but Idon't know what do I have to write where it asks for A and AS-level as I study in Italy and there's nothing like that, we just have an exam at the end of High School
What should I do?
Thank-you for all of your help regarding advice during the application process. I thought I would just quickly ask a question in light of what you have just said to me.

I have two pieces of written work. Most of my History written work is source based and Selwyn specify that they don't want any source-based work. I have one essay that only got 18/20, and it has some silly errors (like mixing up the leader of a few rebellions or forgetting to add in dates). I wrote it very early in year 12 and it was the first time we were under exam conditions. My other written work is an A*, 19/20, and it is my most recent work.

I do have a third piece which got 18/20 but it was my first piece and is incredibly lengthy. It doesn't follow the exam board criteria and it looks more like an academic report because i went a bit overboard.

Would my year 12 piece with silly mistakes be okay to send? I know I need to choose carefully because other parts of my application have been compromised by my disability. It's a shame I can't submit a source answer because I've never gotten below 20/20 on those.
Hi there! I was just wondering what kind of things you recommend putting on a medical SAQ? What we like about the course and teaching, or the university as a whole, or about what we've done like the standard PS, or plans for intercalation...? Thank you!
Reply 618
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
We welcome affiliated students.

Hi! How about students currently in their first year at another university outside the UK? As I have understood it, some colleges welcome these students, and others do not.

If answering yes to question 1.5 in the SAQ ("Are you completing or have you completed an undergraduate degree at another university, either in the UK or elsewhere?"), but no to the question whether you are an affiliated student or not, will that make the application invalid if being pooled to or handled by a college that do not accept students at another non-UK university?
[QUOTE="jneill;68058250"]Section 1 has been already. It's on the subject entry requirements page
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/nsaa_s1_specimen_explained_answers.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Thanks,
What about section 2?

Latest

Trending

Trending