The Student Room Group

A Level Results: Post Your Results (AS)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AfcFob
I got both A's in normal maths and FM (normal maths I was 6 marks off an A*)

With an A in maths you should be fine, especially if you like algebra and pure maths

A level mathematics doesnt have much pure maths in it... people often get mathematical methods which is A level math with actual pure math which is more like linear algebra, proofs and analysis.
Original post by MathsMPhys
A level mathematics doesnt have much pure maths in it... people often get mathematical methods which is A level math with actual pure math which is more like linear algebra, proofs and analysis.

How many marks did you get in econ
Original post by citibankrec
How many marks did you get in econ

Not too great in economics i averaged about 65 in it but i taught myself the whole economics A level during summer same with further maths as my school doesnt teach it to me... i averaged 95% in the Fm but the economics brought my average down to 88% but im not too worried about it economics is kinda of easy... i know 65 still an A but its kinda annoying not getting 95% + when its kinda of a regular thing in your other subject
(edited 7 years ago)

A level mathematics does have a decent amount of pure maths. C1, C2 etc are pure modules they used to be called P1, P2, its in the name.
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
A level mathematics does have a decent amount of pure maths. C1, C2 etc are pure modules they used to be called P1, P2, its in the name.

Its not 'pure mathematics' its called mathematicak methods.. pure mathematics is more like analysis, linear algebra...mathematical methods is more useful to physicists and engineers while pure math focuses more on proof and logic..but people call it pure as thats the closest to pure maths you get before uni
Original post by nonametosee
Got A*AA at AS

You got an A* in AS...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLikP6BDH5w
Not too great in economics i averaged about 65 in it but i taught myself the whole economics A level during summer same with further maths as my school doesnt teach it to me... i averaged 95% in the Fm but the economics brought my average down to 88% but im not too worried about it economics is kinda of easy... i know 65 still an A but its kinda annoying not getting 95% + when its kinda of a regular thing in your other subject

How much time do you spend on average on your subjects per day outside of school?
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
How much time do you spend on average on your subjects per day outside of school?

tbh not as much as I should be.. only a few hours I do most of my work on the holidays then relax during school time and then I do loads around February to prepare for exams.. especially recently since I had to compete in Olympiads nd stuff so didn't get as much time as I would've liked..however I have to teach myself further math and econ, taught myself A2 math and further math in like 4 weeks that took a lot of time per day ngl
(edited 7 years ago)
Got A*AA at AS (around 94.5% average across all subjects - I have friends averaging 100%, 99.5%, 99.3%, 99.2%, 97.6% etc etc so I'm heavily disadvantaged in applications already because I'm a foreign student as well :frown: ) and been predicted A*A*A*A

Lol you're at no disadvantage my friend
Original post by Abstract_Prism

I did the full maths A Level in my first year. :biggrin: Averaged like 96% across the whole maths a level :/
I did the full maths A Level in my first year. :biggrin: Averaged like 96% across the whole maths a level :/

Don't see anything bad about that. (:/) lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are abit disadvantages as I did 5 A levels and averaged 100% across all the A levels apart from in bio which brought it down to 97% but you only did 3 and I go to really bad school...not too disadvantaged though just seemed like you wanted to show off abit by saying that but I know people that get 100% across the board in every subject so you're competing with those people...
you are abit disadvantages as I did 5 A levels and averaged 100% across all the A levels apart from in bio which brought it down to 97% but you only did 3 and I go to really bad school...not too disadvantaged though just seemed like you wanted to show off abit by saying that but I know people that get 100% across the board in every subject so you're competing with those people...

I didn't want to come off as "showing off" by any means! I'm sorry if I did! It's just that many people in my school are averaging very high scores and these are the kind of people I am expecting to compete against for a spot at Imperial, which is also reiterated by my teachers :/ And I am doing 4 A levels lol not 3. I did Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths but I don't start Further Maths until my 2nd Year of A levels and finished the full Maths A Level in my first year.
I didn't want to come off as "showing off" by any means! I'm sorry if I did! It's just that many people in my school are averaging very high scores and these are the kind of people I am expecting to compete against for a spot at Imperial, which is also reiterated by my teachers :/ And I am doing 4 A levels lol not 3. I did Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths but I don't start Further Maths until my 2nd Year of A levels and finished the full Maths A Level in my first year.

Mate, you can average 90% in your A-level, just scrape the A*s and do good in entrance exams and get a spot. They matter the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ozmo19
Results
Biology: Predicted A / Achieved A
Chemistry: Predicted A / Achieved A
Maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
D&T: Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and Reactions
So relieved to get these results. Glad all the hard work paid off in the end!

Future Ambitions
A*A*A*A then have a productive gap year before going and pursuing a subject I love at uni!

how did u revise for chemistry? I got a B for my AS but the course is linear for me so i still have a chance to make up for it.
Original post by socialdissonance
how did u revise for chemistry? I got a B for my AS but the course is linear for me so i still have a chance to make up for it.

After lessons, I would reread the notes given out/materials covered then read the corresponding notes in the textbook or revision guides. If i didn't understand something, I would look it up on youtube or ask on TSR. I made sure I understood fully everything that was stated in the textbook and did practise questions to consolidate this. I made sure to do all the past papers. Also, I looked over my notes and did more questions regularly to make sure all the material stayed fresh in my head. You may also want to make flashcards to memorise definitions. Examiner's reports are important to use to see crucial points in questions.

Good luck!

What course did you want to apply for?
Imperial - Civil Engineering! :biggrin:
Results
maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
further maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
biology: Predicted A / Achieved A[
chemistry: Predicted A / Achieved A

Future ambitions
A*A*A*A* in maths, further maths, chemistry and EPQ and I want to study maths at Cambridge!
Original post by chunsmunkey
Results
maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
further maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
biology: Predicted A / Achieved A[
chemistry: Predicted A / Achieved A

Future ambitions
A*A*A*A* in maths, further maths, chemistry and EPQ and I want to study maths at Cambridge!

Hi how do u calculuate p(aub) from a tree diagram??????

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest